Join discussions on moving to and living in the USVI, ask questions, share info & tips! (Vacationing? Visit Travel Message Board)

Re: StX Restaurant Ratings

speee1dy
July 23, 2015 10:18AM

thank you

quirion
July 31, 2015 11:33PM

Went to Zion for the first time tonite. We had early reservations but watched it get nice and busy. Food was very very good and the service was excellent. Lovely atmosphere as well. We had lobster tail, beef carpaccio(a bit different in that it wasn't completely raw), PB&C and the braised goat ravioli. Everything was superb.

speee1dy
August 01, 2015 06:01AM

whats pb&c

margaritagirl
August 01, 2015 08:33AM

We went to the Galleon the other night.
Excellent service and the food was outstanding. I had the dish called the Galleon. It was a huge piece of filet mignon with a chunk of lobster on top served with mashed potatoes and asparagus. It was heaven.Cooked perfectly. The meal was so large I took half of it home and had it for lunch the next day.
They are putting out the new menu I believe today. I hope they keep the dish that I had on the menu.

quirion
August 01, 2015 09:14AM

speee1dy
whats pb&c

Hoisin glazed pork belly and pickled
cabbage, cucumbers and carrots topped w/ cilantro
and spicy greens 12

speee1dy
August 01, 2015 06:32PM

hmm, never had pork belly but keep hearing about it on the cooking shows hubby watches,

sounds delish

IslandHops
August 02, 2015 05:47PM

In the past I've praised the virtues of Savant, while others have not necessarily had the same experience. Unfortunately my recent meal there was not so good, and the fish totally undercooked. Dining with company, I had to refrain from providing my honest feedback, yet I can no longer recommend Savant as a top pick.

Thankfully Dashi still rocks.

buck
August 03, 2015 07:02AM

Another great salad at the Bistro in Gallows Bay. Enough for 2 people. Friendly staff and super quick service. Only open breakfast and lunch.

Juanita
August 03, 2015 10:24AM

My favorite dining experience on St. Croix, or anywhere really, is the Ridge to Reef Slow Down dinners. They only have them about once a month, or less, so it's really something to look forward to. All locally grown/raised food, organic and chef prepared. It's a fine dining experience on the open air porch, in the rain forest.

It's a bit pricey, at $60-$100 per person, plus tip, but we don't go out to eat much anymore, so it doesn't kill our budget.

It's always on a Sunday night. Last night was a packed house and awesome food!!!

Juanita

vicanuck
August 03, 2015 11:31AM

I've been to a few of the Slow Down dinners and enjoyed them. But the last one I went to was way too slow. We left after 5 hours of no food. That was too slow for me.

Juanita
August 03, 2015 12:42PM

vicanuck
I've been to a few of the Slow Down dinners and enjoyed them. But the last one I went to was way too slow. We left after 5 hours of no food. That was too slow for me.

Wow, really no food in 5 hours? What was going on? It can be slow between courses, but not too extreme.

Juanita

vicanuck
August 03, 2015 12:49PM

I'm not sure what happened that night. Nate was apologetic. We were with friends who had a sitter and couldn't wait any longer. It was a long night.

Stxer1
August 03, 2015 02:24PM

5 hours is totally absurd. No meal is worth that. I'd have left too. Probably after one hour of no food!

vicanuck
August 03, 2015 05:08PM

But I do want to say that I HAVE had good experiences with R2R dinners too.

quirion
August 03, 2015 05:43PM

Juanita
My favorite dining experience on St. Croix, or anywhere really, is the Ridge to Reef Slow Down dinners. They only have them about once a month, or less, so it's really something to look forward to. All locally grown/raised food, organic and chef prepared. It's a fine dining experience on the open air porch, in the rain forest.

It's a bit pricey, at $60-$100 per person, plus tip, but we don't go out to eat much anymore, so it doesn't kill our budget.

It's always on a Sunday night. Last night was a packed house and awesome food!!!

We were there as well last night for the first time! Was absolutely wonderful!

EAT @ CANE BAY CLOSES

vicanuck
September 08, 2015 10:35AM

I had heard this was the last weekend in business for eat@Cane Bay in its present form.

Can anyone else confirm this?

Oldie1
September 08, 2015 03:59PM

No surprise there; they tried to apply their stateside corporate rules here, just doesn't work.

You have to be pretty bad to FU#K a beach front bar.

speee1dy
September 08, 2015 04:26PM

Interesting. Had not heard that

stxsailor
September 08, 2015 04:56PM

What do you mean "stateside corporate rules"?

Oldie1
September 08, 2015 06:19PM

EAT always had a friendly laid back vibe; the new owners seemed to quash that.
Many long time patrons were not made to feel welcome so when season ended, so did their business.

OldTart
September 08, 2015 07:28PM

Oldie1
EAT always had a friendly laid back vibe; the new owners seemed to quash that.
Many long time patrons were not made to feel welcome so when season ended, so did their business.

Which has nothing to do with "stateside corporate rules".

Oldie1
September 08, 2015 08:20PM

Oh please, it sure does.

rmb2830
September 08, 2015 10:33PM

Interesting. Anyone remember how long Bacchus stayed open when it had the new owners? Longer than one year, though...

Stxer1
September 09, 2015 01:23AM

Can you explain a bit more about what you said about the new owners "quashing the laid back vibe." I'm wondering in what ways did they actually do that? What did the patrons feel that was different from before? Thanks.

Oldie1
September 09, 2015 05:45AM

Sorry none of you were aware of what was going on at EAT

On several occasions friends went in to have dinner and drinks, although the place was empty the bartender said they were full with reservations and would not even seat them at the bar.
Food was bad, long waits, couldn't keep staff--- on and on.

I think there are comments on this thread the will explain.

The place has been around for years before it was EAT and has always done well

Join the discussion. Click the button below to Login or Register now!

Click here to login

• Blue Ocean Transport

Moving to the U.S. Virgin Islands?

Settlers Handbook
Only $17.95

The Settlers Handbook for the U.S. Virgin Islands is your guide to moving to St. Croix, St. Thomas, St. John and Water Island.

The current 18th Edition, released in January 2016, will help you explore your dream of island living. A solid reference book, it was first published in 1975. That's 40 years of helping people move to the islands. A must read. Order today.

Order Today

Advertise

Join VIMovingCenter.com Today!

Tell prospective and current residents about your business.

Learn More →

Sister Sites

VITraders

USVI Books & Souvenirs

VInow

USVI Vacation Guide

Living in de V.I.

USVI Relocation DVD

Proud Supporter

VI Olympic Team

For over 45 years, the Virgin Islands has celebrated the Olympic tradition by sending our athletes to compete.

Learn More →