Join discussions on moving to and living in the USVI, ask questions, share info & tips! (Vacationing? Visit Travel Message Board)

Re: StX Restaurant Ratings

STXBob
September 09, 2015 07:21AM

Oldie1: Congratulations, yours was the 2000th posting to this thread!

vicanuck
September 09, 2015 08:31AM

stxsailor
What do you mean "stateside corporate rules"?

I understand that the folks who bought eat@canebay from Frank and Katherine own/owned one or more Tim Hortons franchise stores. Thus the "stateside corporate rules" reference. My daughter, who worked there until the ownership change, said all the cool people who worked there left within a few weeks after the transition and it was never the same since.

OldTart
September 09, 2015 08:44AM

Oldie1
Oh please, it sure does.

Oh please, explain.

Oldie1
September 09, 2015 01:32PM

Read the above post from vicanuck

OldTart
September 09, 2015 01:37PM

Oldie1
Read the above post from vicanuck

That explains nothing. I have owned businesses both stateside and in the USVI and simply don't understand the comment.

Oldie1
September 09, 2015 01:39PM

Then I guess no one can explain it to you.

OldTart
September 09, 2015 01:56PM

Oldie1
Then I guess no one can explain it to you.

As obviously you can't. So much for asking a simple question asking for clarification.big grin

stxsailor
September 09, 2015 02:17PM

Was the stateside corporate rules thing as simple as "show up on time and do your job"

Oldie1
September 09, 2015 02:19PM

Thank you old tart

monogram
September 09, 2015 02:21PM

stxsailor
Was the stateside corporate rules thing as simple as "show up on time and do your job"

OUCH!

CruzanIron
September 10, 2015 05:53AM

stxsailor

Pour one ounce drinks, don't give free drinks to you friends all night long, play music of a general type, not only your favorites. Don't let food orders get cold because you are chatting up someone. Make correct change. Pay attention to non-regular customers.

vicanuck
September 11, 2015 01:17PM

I went to Tavern 1844 last night with a friend. Its under new management. Chef Mike Mariano has sub leased from the previous operator and is testing the waters.

The men is much more affordable that previous. Gone are the Wagu beef burgers and the laundry list of dishes inappropriate for a tavern and way over priced.

Mike has slimmed down the menu and is focusing on great tavern food. My Classic Cheese burger with pepper jack ($13) was enormous and the fries were awesome. I added bacon for $1.50 extra and was very impressed as I couldn't eat it all.

I think Mike could do very will with this location if he keeps it up.

Give it another try if you haven't been there since James left.

speee1dy
September 11, 2015 01:31PM

i went there once, had the burger and fries. i thought everything was way too greasy. that was a few years ago.

vicanuck
September 11, 2015 02:48PM

Try it again...it was quite good.

speee1dy
September 11, 2015 02:54PM

thank you, i guess i will have to give it one more try

CruzanIron
September 11, 2015 05:29PM

Where is it?

STXBob
September 11, 2015 09:47PM

CruzanIron
Where is it?

Tavern 1844 is "Located in Downtown Christiansted, St. Croix, USVI, on the corner of Company & Queen Cross Streets." [www.tavern1844.net]

Ca. Dreamers
September 12, 2015 09:08PM

Wake the F@#K up Businesses of STX!!

Went to our favorite restaurant tonight, the Bombay Club.

Had reservation for 7 PM for a table of four.

Seated at about 6:55 at our first table, after being asked for our drink orders we were asked to move to another table, that's OK. After about 5 minutes at this table we were asked to move again to another table because they had a large party an hour later. BTW that table was never occupied during our stay.

No problem, we are good with all that. Had our drinks and we are a-ok...NOT!

Our guest were severed their soup about 45 minutes after our orders were taken and one was way over cooked and had to be sent back.

During this hour or so, there were 3 groups seated after we were, one group at the original table we were seated at and they all were served their salads, appetizers and even meals and here we sit with nothing.

I questioned the lady that I assume was in charge as to where our orders were. She continued to serve other tables and tell us that ours were on the way.

After a few minutes of this absolutely terrible service I asked for our bill and was told we have no bill. That was the high point of the evening!!!!!

I live here and spend many $$$$$ at local businesses, I, we like to eat out, but this is the upmost in customer disservice. These people have been in business for many years on this Island but they have seen the last of me except for the day I walk in there and tell the owner this story.

Bad taste in my mouth!!!!

CD

Scubadoo
September 12, 2015 11:34PM

vicanuck
The men is much more affordable that previous. Gone are the Wagu beef burgers and the laundry list of dishes inappropriate for a tavern and way over priced.
t.

I read somewhere a few weeks ago, don't recall where, I think it was regarding Tavern 1844 but not certain, that people weren't willing to pay the extra money for the extra fancy stuff like Wagu beef, lobster/crab topped this or that, and that stuff was just going bad in their fridge so off the menu it went to get the prices down to what the market will bear. Makes sense.

I was told by a friend of Frank and Katherine's that the new eat owner had worked for them at eat.

speee1dy
September 13, 2015 06:18AM

wow, sorry about you horrible experience at bombay-let the owner know what happened

he seems like the type that wants to know.

vicanuck
September 14, 2015 08:19AM

I had an awesome dinner at Blue Water Terrace on Saturday night with friends, then an awesome brunch there the next day. Whew...so much food!

Re: StX Restaurant Ratings - New Hot Cart in Gallows Bay

vicanuck
November 05, 2015 08:39AM

Dan the Beer Man from Ale House in Gallows Bay has installed a hot dog cart in front of his craft beer store, officially open for business on Monday.

I've had a few of his dogs this week and they are great! Everyday, he has a "special" dog on offer along side his regular dogs. Yesterday was the "Chicago Dog" and it was awesome and he has others like the Reuben Dog, Seattle Dog, etc. on regular rotation.

His has a hot dog and draft beer combo everyday and will be selling breakfast bagels with egg, sausage and cheese on Einstein bagels starting next week

Drop by and give him a try...I'm glad I did!

speee1dy
November 05, 2015 09:31AM

THATS good to know-we went in there one time and the selection of beers and other things was great. i was kind of surprised to see him still in business though.

do you know what his hours are?

and i am still wanting to try the red food truck by the bypass

FLLisa
November 05, 2015 10:02AM

Is Eat open again?

vicanuck
November 05, 2015 11:46AM

speee1dy
do you know what his hours are?

Dan's in the beer store pretty much all day. I think the hog dog carts hours are 11 - 2 at the moment but the response has been strong and he was out there selling dogs at 4 pm yesterday.

Join the discussion. Click the button below to Login or Register now!

Click here to login

• Blue Ocean Transport

Moving to the U.S. Virgin Islands?

Settlers Handbook
Only $17.95

The Settlers Handbook for the U.S. Virgin Islands is your guide to moving to St. Croix, St. Thomas, St. John and Water Island.

The current 18th Edition, released in January 2016, will help you explore your dream of island living. A solid reference book, it was first published in 1975. That's 40 years of helping people move to the islands. A must read. Order today.

Order Today

Advertise

Join VIMovingCenter.com Today!

Tell prospective and current residents about your business.

Learn More →

Sister Sites

VITraders

USVI Books & Souvenirs

VInow

USVI Vacation Guide

Living in de V.I.

USVI Relocation DVD

Proud Supporter

VI Olympic Team

For over 45 years, the Virgin Islands has celebrated the Olympic tradition by sending our athletes to compete.

Learn More →