Join discussions on moving to and living in the USVI, ask questions, share info & tips! (Vacationing? Visit Travel Message Board)

TSA Hiring STX /STT

amodford30
August 24, 2009 04:50PM

Go to USAJOBS.gov for TSA entry level jobs. STX and SST have announcements open for a short time for part time screeners. for a short cut go to advanced search and then to states box and scroll to VI click on St Croix or St Thomas to get application.

Re: TSA Hiring STX /STT

danieljude
August 26, 2009 05:59AM

Hello there. Thank you for the information. Could you clarify (please) which board would the advanced search be used for? I am seeking employment until some other funding comes through.......yes, could be awhile. In the meantime, need to make ends meet.

Would appreciate any information you could provide.

Thank you so much,

Dan G.
STX

Novanut
August 26, 2009 10:43AM

Hi Dan,

Thanks. I could do with some part time employment as well. Will search it out.

See you soon!
nn

Novanut
August 26, 2009 11:13AM

Uttica
August 27, 2009 08:42AM

I have a friend who works part time for TSA. He loves it.

Also, it's a good stepping stone into CBP or ICE.

speee1dy
August 27, 2009 03:12PM

i went and put in my initial application, next step a 2 1/2 hr test. then the credit and background checks. wish me luck, i need a job.

Trade
August 27, 2009 03:13PM

Hope you get it, Speee1dy!

~Trade~

speee1dy
August 28, 2009 04:34PM

thanks trade, it sucks being unemployed. . im in need of a job asap

Trade
August 28, 2009 05:31PM

When will you hear?

~Trade~

speee1dy
August 29, 2009 07:05AM

not sure, waiting to hear when the testing is, after that is the background check and credit check. it seems like a long process.

speee1dy
September 10, 2009 10:39AM

finally have the test scheduled for the TSA job. monday at 12:30.
amaford30 thanks for posting this
trade, thanks for your wishes. as i said i am in need of a job asap. no bills getting paid. too much stress with all the creditors calling.

Trade
September 10, 2009 11:08AM

Still pulling for you, Speee1dy. I'm sure you're more than qualified.

~Trade~

speee1dy
September 10, 2009 11:23AM

well most of the time i am intelligent, i guess we all have our moments. i know i do. thanks for still pulling for me.

DixieChick
September 10, 2009 11:57AM

good luck speeedy

tuggs
September 10, 2009 01:21PM

Hi there everyone. I was curious if anyone knew how much they typically start at pay wise. My wife and I would like to move to St. Croix and I had applied for TSA as well. Same as speee1dy I have to schedule my test now. I know there is no specific answer to this question but what do you need to live comfortably there? It is my wife and I and 2 kids. Thank you so much for your time. And good luck Speee1dy

speee1dy
September 10, 2009 01:33PM

on the website listed above starting pay is about $31,000. to about $41,000.
thank you tuggs and good luck to you too
your question is a hard one as everyones needs are different. you have kids and most people stateside send their kids to private school as they feel the education is better and that is about 10,000 a year.
i think food is more expensive, food for two is about 250 a week, electric for 3 bedroom without air, dishwasher or dryer is about 150 a month i think it goes up this month or soon.

fdr
September 10, 2009 01:57PM

Wow, is that $31k to $41K for part time? I want that job! ;) Good luck, speee1dy -- keep us posted.

tuggs
September 10, 2009 02:46PM

Thanks speee1dy I had seen the pay but was curious if it was 31,000 starting or if you could start anywhere in that range.

Would 60-$80,000 be a good living range for a typical household?

Thanks

speee1dy
September 10, 2009 03:15PM

i could live on 60-80,000 a year no problem, except with the kids im not sure.
i guess it would depend on your experience and stuff like that . if i had my choice i would of course choose the higher pay. lol
fdr thanks, i need luck and or prayers, thank you dixiechick

jay
September 10, 2009 04:09PM

Keep in mind that federal employees in the territory also receive a 25% Cost Of Living Allowance (COLA) tax free on top of their salary due to the high cost of living here. So, total compensation equals $31,000 (taxed) salary, plus $7750.00 (untaxed) COLA.

speee1dy
September 10, 2009 05:24PM

iay, is that all fed employees?? that would really be extra nice.

amodford30
September 10, 2009 05:33PM

Don''t get your hopes up to high gang. The 31 is for full time and I think includes the COLA, So halve that as the actual starting rate. From start to hiring took me about 9 months and full time positions don't open often. The plus side is it is a great place to get your foot in the door for other Fed jobs that are full time and pay better, CBP, ICE or Parks Dept.

jay
September 10, 2009 06:26PM

Yes, that is all federal employees. The COLA is adjusted annually and is always subject to reduction. 25% is the highest allowable under the law. The territory has the highest COLA in the nation along with Hawaii, It IS in addition to the pay scale. There have been two attempts to change this benefit, which would in effect increase the retirement benefit of federal employees by Hawaii Senator Daniel Akaka, but was defeated. The amendment would have put the territories employees under the locality pay system instead. But, yes it is in addition to the salary and is tax free.

[akaka.senate.gov]

Keep in mind this was defeated, therefore federal employees still receive COLA in the territory. Federal employees effectively receive a larger paycheck but less in retirement than their colleagues who are receiving locality pay.

Lizard
September 10, 2009 06:27PM

Jay that is a full time salary range=40 hour work week, part time is pro rated and hours are min 16 to24 per week. so you would times 31,426 X.25=7856.50/31,426+7856.50=39,282.50/39,382Divided52=755.43/755.33Divided40=18.89per hour so 18.89X24=453.36 Per week. $453.36X52=23,574.72PA That figure includes the 25% Local payment.

jay
September 10, 2009 06:41PM

Actually no, all federal employees in the territories receive COLA. Regardless of status. Cola is not part of the salary, it is not taxable as is salary. Very similar to Variable Housing Allotments (VHA) for military personnel. It is in a different category and on your bi-weekly pay statement it is separate from salary. If it falls under the salary category, it by law can not be considered COLA.
Not to be confused with cost of living increases, which federal employees receive each year. Those are part of salary....However, COLA too, receives cost of living increases at the same rate as salaries do. So COLA also goes up each year and will always mirror a specific percentage of the employee's salary.
Another example is your 401K, or in fed service, Thrift Savings. When you receive your W2, its not included in your taxable income.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Moving to the U.S. Virgin Islands?

Settlers Handbook
Only $17.95

The Settlers Handbook for the U.S. Virgin Islands is your guide to moving to St. Croix, St. Thomas, St. John and Water Island.

Whether you are dreaming about island living, received a job transfer, are a new resident, or plan to retire in the USVI later down the road - this book is worth reading!

Order Today

Advertise

Join VIMovingCenter.com Today!

Tell prospective and current residents about your business.

Learn More →

Sister Sites

VITraders

USVI Books & Souvenirs

VInow

USVI Vacation Guide

Living in de V.I.

USVI Relocation DVD

Proud Supporter

VI Olympic Team

For over 45 years, the Virgin Islands has celebrated the Olympic tradition by sending our athletes to compete.

Learn More →

Newsletter Signup

Sign up now for our FREE Virgin Islands Moving Center Newsletter and we will email you regular updates on what's happening in the Virgin Islands & on VImovingcenter.com. You can unsubscribe at any time. Simply fill in the form below.

CAPTCHA