Join discussions on moving to and living in the USVI, ask questions, share info & tips! (Vacationing? Visit Travel Message Board)

Point Udall (STX)

specialk
November 28, 2009 08:12AM

This could be old news for some but...

A few weeks ago I heard the road to Point Udall had been paved. Not patched but "paved".

Yesterday we took a drive out there and wow! The entire stretch of road from Cramer Park to and including the Pt Udall parking area is all brand new asphalt. When we got to the Point we saw the most cars we've ever seen there at one time. Five! During the course of them leaving three more cars pulled in. All this in about a 30 minute span. A flurry of activity - from my experience anyway.

I often wondered how many visitors driving out to Point Udall changed their minds and turned around when they encountered the road in it's previous condition. I'd wonder what they thought of our department of tourism and how they could advertise Point Udall as an attraction but not take care of the road that leads there.

I understand the funds for the paving job came from a Federal grant. Regardless, kudos to the Territory for the improvement!

Re: Point Udall (STX)

rks
November 28, 2009 08:30AM

*golf clap* I'm glad they repaved too.

Plenty of tourists made it to Pt Udall before the Millennium and returned with an adventure under their belts. Somehow, decrepit paving conveys neglect whereas the lunar landscape of a dirt road that preceded it for decades was a tantalizing invitation.

Jim Dandy
November 28, 2009 10:20AM

It would be a nice touch if they could get some flags for the flag poles.

Jim

Lizard
November 28, 2009 10:32AM

The Flags get eaten up by the wind in a very short period of time.

Tippi
November 28, 2009 02:18PM

Many a soldier fought under the flag for freedom. Least we could do is make an attempt to keep them in good condition and keep them flying.

Lizard
November 28, 2009 03:34PM

Out of Respect for the Soldiers, Sailors, Airmen, Marines, and Coast Guard, and We the people, We must make sure that the Flag is Flown Properly at All times, (Day and Night). If it can not be maintained properly than it shouldn't be flown at all, Which is another form of respect for those who fought , defended, and pledge allegiance to it.

Neil
November 29, 2009 12:02AM

They make weather and wind resistant flags for ships and other high wind locations. Just gotta buy the right ones, and not the cheap nylon or single-ply flags.

Lizard
November 29, 2009 12:41AM

Who is going to hoist the Flag every day and take it down. If it Going to be up all night who is going to pay to light the Flag. These are questions Neil. We need more police, more school supplies for starters and we are talking about a Flag, by an azimuth sun dial that has nothing to do with the people or Veterans of the island and their needs. Maybe you can put together a group that can buy the weather resistant flags and volunteers to maintain it 365 days that way you wouldn't have to pay WAPA to light the Flag at night..thinking

divinggirl
November 29, 2009 07:28AM

The lights are on at Point Udall every night and have been since it opened.

Lizard
November 29, 2009 08:01AM

For a stationary Flag Displayed on a Building, Pole, or Staff, it is customary to Fly the Flag from sunrise to sunset. The Flag is only permitted to fly at night if it is properly "illuminated." This means that the flag has a dedicated light "spotlighting" directly on the flag.
A street light or a well lit area will not proivde enough light, and doesn't meet the requirements for dedicated spotlighting.

Prefer2sail
November 29, 2009 12:57PM

then perhaps they should take down the poles

Lizard
November 29, 2009 01:14PM

Then we wouldn't have a "come soon", and that is not the way of the USVI!big grin

Prefer2sail
November 29, 2009 01:29PM

Haha awesome! smiling

thoogie
November 29, 2009 06:15PM

The lights are powered by a solar panel/energy storage system not WAPA. It's located below the wall facing East End Bay. But that could be just for show. Time will tell if there was actually a secret no-bid contract given to a relative of an elected official to bury a line from Cramer's Park to Udall that nobody knows about yet. (long-winded sentence, I know)

syzygy
November 29, 2009 06:22PM

Maybe WAPA will donate the power. Sorry not local so that is suppose to be a joke. hahathinking

Linda J
November 29, 2009 07:47PM

WAPA donates lots of energy, it doesn't plan on it, it just happens that way.

Lizard
November 29, 2009 08:30PM

syzygy,
WAPA is the utility Company that supplies Power and Water to the Islands (Virgin Island Water and Power Authority). WAPA is owned by the USVI Govt and has a lot of problems collecting monies due to them by various Govt Agencies as well as getting ripped off by some customers Big and small. The rates are high and continue upward.mad

rotorhead
November 29, 2009 11:21PM

Maybe they can put up a flag that works like a roller furling head-sail. The flag could be rolled up at night and unrolled during the day. You could add an anemometer and roll the flag up when the wind gets too strong to avoid damage to the flag.

An easy task for a microprocessor and electric motor, and cheap.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/29/2009 11:28PM by rotorhead.

PBS HD

sloop jones
November 30, 2009 05:45AM

Hi rotor,

Have you been able to get PBS in HD?

I see on Lyngsat there is a feed from , if i recall correctly, 125W.

sloop

Re: PBS HD

sloop jones
November 30, 2009 05:46AM

Sorry for the off topic, i meant too send a PM.

sloop

Re: PBS HD

terry
November 30, 2009 10:56AM

The motor and mechanism would probably last less than a week. If someone would steal that 2000 LB still at the Whim, they would certainly steal that.

SkysTheLimit
November 30, 2009 12:17PM

Install security cameras on top of the poles.

Lizard
November 30, 2009 12:26PM

Starting to get a little crazy nowconfused smiley Maybe Sirens and stuff!thumbs down

Neil
November 30, 2009 03:18PM

Move the Governor there.
That would get it fixed up.
Then move him to Company Street, then to Midland Road by the church, then to ...
We need more governors!

SkysTheLimit
November 30, 2009 05:11PM

Crazy? Security cameras in a location known for car break ins?

Join the discussion. Click the button below to Login or Register now!

Click here to login

• Blue Ocean Transport

Moving to the U.S. Virgin Islands?

Settlers Handbook
Only $17.95

The Settlers Handbook for the U.S. Virgin Islands is your guide to moving to St. Croix, St. Thomas, St. John and Water Island.

The current 18th Edition, released in January 2016, will help you explore your dream of island living. A solid reference book, it was first published in 1975. That's 40 years of helping people move to the islands. A must read. Order today.

Order Today

Advertise

Join VIMovingCenter.com Today!

Tell prospective and current residents about your business.

Learn More →

Sister Sites

VITraders

USVI Books & Souvenirs

VInow

USVI Vacation Guide

Living in de V.I.

USVI Relocation DVD

Proud Supporter

VI Olympic Team

For over 45 years, the Virgin Islands has celebrated the Olympic tradition by sending our athletes to compete.

Learn More →