Join discussions on moving to and living in the USVI, ask questions, share info & tips! (Vacationing? Visit Travel Message Board)

New parking lot

poorthang
February 12, 2010 09:55PM

Has the idea or topic of making the Fort grassy area a parking lot.ever come up?It seems to me this is a
perfect wide open area that would add so much to the limited and crowded parking for downtown. It has great visability,no hiding spots for de thugs convenient to all retail and boat traffic.I know its historical but what a waste of good needed real estate and parking for the masses.How many thinks this is a good idea?thinking

Re: New parking lot

stiphy
February 12, 2010 10:03PM

I'm not a fan of that idea but I have parking across the way at my office. How about turning the actual parking lot there into a 24 hour lot with a minimal fee with an automatic machine?

Sean

Juanita
February 12, 2010 10:04PM

thumbs down

My thumbs down is for the original post. I like stiphy's idea.

Juanita

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/12/2010 10:07PM by Juanita.

Ronnie
February 12, 2010 10:24PM

Poorthang, that grass lawn was an ugly parking lot until they turned it into the beautiful lawn!!

RLcool

CAtoSTX
February 12, 2010 10:44PM

I've never seen that lot completely full - close, but not Completely.

Lizard
February 13, 2010 01:06AM

Ronnie,
Not only was it an ugly parking lot, it was full all the time with AVIS Car Rentals from the King Christiansted Hotel. I've never seen the municiple lot full.thinking

Linda J
February 13, 2010 05:17AM

Or maybe a large parking garage?

Terrible idea, IMO. That is a beautiful area. Why mess it up that way?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/13/2010 05:19AM by Linda J.

specialk
February 13, 2010 06:52AM

Rather than spoil the view and ambiance of the Fort area I'd like to see them knock down some of the old buildings that nobody seems interested in buying and using that space for parking. Take out half a block or spread a few small lots around town.

I often wonder, when driving through C'sted, how many vehicles parked on the streets belong to employees of the shops and offices. I see some of the same cars every day - some of which are positioned as to prevent others from parking in front of them. (Taking up more space then they need) I'm not saying business owners and employees shouldn't have a place to park their cars. Perhaps creating small parking lots around town, designated for employees only, would free up street parking for shoppers and people tending to business in the area.

poorthang
February 13, 2010 07:44AM

, I also agree with removing the blight . It has gone on way to long.You also make valid points in adding small lots .Maybe its me but could someone tell me where they park that is safe , well lit,convenient parking in the epicenter of our biggest town?That you don't have to be out by closing time(fort parking)@5;00 , where your wife and kids,family ,friends and an aging population can access , without the hassle?When we first came to this beautiful place almost 30 years ago,downtown was busier ,cleaner with street vendors selling food,liquor store bustling with business. Now .Not so much. We compete not only for the tourist who find it hard to access our town but our own residents who'd like to show off our town,and do business with our neighbors.Where is our development director,or planning commission.Do they exist? I'm sorry for venting ,but when I read that some of our newest residents get mugged at 7:00 pm I see the continuing decline and no one seems to care to stop it Ever been to Jamacia what a mess!

speee1dy
February 13, 2010 08:26AM

the grassy area by the fort was once a parking lot and then i heard that the fed government took it over to make a nice grassy area. from what i understand it can not be turned into a parking lot again.

Lizard
February 13, 2010 08:59AM

poorthang,
dpnr.gov.vi/dep/laws/legislation.htm

thoogie
February 13, 2010 09:22AM

I have a better idea and as a bonus it includes a bunch of government funded feasibility and impact studies that are required with any goofy idea.

Build a bridge out to Hotel on the Cay and make their Hugo-damaged tennis courts a new parking lot.

I had my wife pranked for about five seconds years ago when I remarked, " Look at how Hugo lifted the parking lot and pulled it into the sea."

rks
February 13, 2010 01:41PM

As stated, that area was a parking lot. That land is part of the Christiansted National Historic Site, but it had been historically used as a parking lot so the NPS let it continue to be used as such.

Then, in the 90s an Italian tourist was murdered during a mugging in the lot.

The family successfully sued the DOI/NPS because the parking lot was on a National Historic Site yet did not conform to the requirements of a NPS parking lot in terms of security, lighting, monitoring.

So the NPS had to bring the lot up to standard, hence the lot with the restrictions that is currently there.

Linda J
February 13, 2010 03:57PM

We always park in the government lot. When we're downtown at night, it's usually for a function (boat parade, jump-up) and we've never felt unsafe parking in that lot.

At other times, dinner at Bombay Club, for example, we just park on the street.

Join the discussion. Click the button below to Login or Register now!

Click here to login

• Blue Ocean Transport

Moving to the U.S. Virgin Islands?

Settlers Handbook
Only $17.95

The Settlers Handbook for the U.S. Virgin Islands is your guide to moving to St. Croix, St. Thomas, St. John and Water Island.

The current 18th Edition, released in January 2016, will help you explore your dream of island living. A solid reference book, it was first published in 1975. That's 40 years of helping people move to the islands. A must read. Order today.

Order Today

Advertise

Join VIMovingCenter.com Today!

Tell prospective and current residents about your business.

Learn More →

Sister Sites

VITraders

USVI Books & Souvenirs

VInow

USVI Vacation Guide

Living in de V.I.

USVI Relocation DVD

Proud Supporter

VI Olympic Team

For over 45 years, the Virgin Islands has celebrated the Olympic tradition by sending our athletes to compete.

Learn More →