Join discussions on moving to and living in the USVI, ask questions, share info & tips! (Vacationing? Visit Travel Message Board)

Re: Insurance

threestak
September 26, 2011 03:59AM

Hey Guys,

I was hoping to gain some of insight into what insurance companies our on St. Thomas and which ones offer the best premiums, and what your experiences have been. Thanks in advance.

Raj H.

Marty on STT
September 26, 2011 07:35AM

Most insurance companies charge very similar rates for auto insurance...insurance was not required until about 8 or ten years ago, so the 'required' insurance is usually about $250-$280/yr...of course, if you finance the vehicle and have a lien on it, the rates can be much higher. First Insurance, Family Insurance, Guardian Insurance are a few of the more popular ones...check the yellow pages at www.viphonebook.com. I, personally use USAA, as I am a Veteran, and the rates can't be beat.

~Marty smiling

"We're all here...cuz we're not all there!"

guice
September 26, 2011 08:09AM

I have USAA, too. But outside of them, Guardian provided the best rates, and I hear good things about them.

awesomechick99
September 26, 2011 04:59PM

Hi everyone! I also have USAA because my father was a colonel in the Army. Have you used their bank before? I was thinking about using them for my checking account and wondered if anyone else had experience over there with them. I didn't find anything in the search about their banking. Thanks! excited

East Ender
September 26, 2011 05:56PM

Raj: What sort of insurance are you asking about?

nedalford
September 30, 2011 09:57AM

I use Hartford!! I’ve been with them for years and they’ve handled my policy really well. I used to compare auto insurance quotes and switch providers every year, but these guys gave me the best deal, so I’ve stayed with them.

Marty on STT
October 01, 2011 09:52PM

Yes, I use USAA for my banking, as well...I have checking (free), savings, a credit card from them, a loan for one of my Harley's, vehicle insurance and renters insurance, all thru USAA...great company.

~Marty smiling

"We're all here...cuz we're not all there!"

awesomechick99
October 02, 2011 02:23AM

Thanks Marty! Good to know it isn't a hassle! happy

threestak
October 06, 2011 02:35PM

Marty on STT
Most insurance companies charge very similar rates for auto insurance...insurance was not required until about 8 or ten years ago, so the 'required' insurance is usually about $250-$280/yr...of course, if you finance the vehicle and have a lien on it, the rates can be much higher. First Insurance, Family Insurance, Guardian Insurance are a few of the more popular ones...check the yellow pages at www.viphonebook.com. I, personally use USAA, as I am a Veteran, and the rates can't be beat.

Hey Marty,

Haven't talked to you in a while. Thanks for the heads up. It sounds like I actually might be able to afford the insurance. Hope you're doing well.

Raj H.

threestak
October 06, 2011 02:36PM

guice
I have USAA, too. But outside of them, Guardian provided the best rates, and I hear good things about them.

Thanks for the advice guice. Now I have a name to go on...

Raj H.

threestak
October 06, 2011 02:37PM

East Ender
Raj: What sort of insurance are you asking about?

Sorry East Ender,

I should have been clear. Auto Insurance.

Raj H.

Join the discussion. Click the button below to Login or Register now!

Click here to login

• Blue Ocean Transport

Moving to the U.S. Virgin Islands?

Settlers Handbook
Only $17.95

The Settlers Handbook for the U.S. Virgin Islands is your guide to moving to St. Croix, St. Thomas, St. John and Water Island.

The current 18th Edition, released in January 2016, will help you explore your dream of island living. A solid reference book, it was first published in 1975. That's 40 years of helping people move to the islands. A must read. Order today.

Order Today

Advertise

Join VIMovingCenter.com Today!

Tell prospective and current residents about your business.

Learn More →

Sister Sites

VITraders

USVI Books & Souvenirs

VInow

USVI Vacation Guide

Living in de V.I.

USVI Relocation DVD

Proud Supporter

VI Olympic Team

For over 45 years, the Virgin Islands has celebrated the Olympic tradition by sending our athletes to compete.

Learn More →