Join discussions on moving to and living in the USVI, ask questions, share info & tips! (Vacationing? Visit Travel Message Board)

Southern Islands Boat Charters

Jcanberra
November 28, 2011 06:46PM

I know I can go down to the harbor or pick up a tourist guide to find a boat to charter, but does anyone recommend a boat and captain to take a couple to the some of the southern caribbean islands for a week sail? I would welcome suggestions. Thanks! JR

Re: Southern Islands Boat Charters

pamela
November 28, 2011 07:02PM

PM me - I am a charter brokers and sure I can help you find the right boat.

Pamela

Exit Zero
November 28, 2011 08:26PM

Definitely use a charter broker - also considered that leaving from the VI to head to the Southern Caribbean is a long 2 maybe 3 days trip -- a R/T cannot be done in a week -- you would have to depart from somewhere south to get home and the boat would have a deadhead sail back - chartering out of Antigua would be better for the down islands - or even Grenada or Bequia if you are meaning the Grenadines.
Most of the VI vessels will only offer BVI trips and even a trip that includes St Martin , Anguilla, St Barths will entail a long overnite sail in the Anegada Passage which is not an easy sailboat ride - have you looked at a chart of the Caribbean? Consider a good 24 hr. day under sail at 140-160 NM - which Southern Islands are you hoping to visit??

usvi4me
November 29, 2011 06:41AM

Check out [www.Charterdigest.com]. Quite a few yachts to choose from. All inquiries are emailed directly to the yacht. They also have a facebook app at [apps.facebook.com]. I agree with Exit Zero. It's not a fun trip. Finding a yacht departing from the Virgin Islands to do a downwind sail in "high season" will be unlikely. However some of those yachts operate in the Virgin Islands during the winter months and in Saint Vincent and the Grenadines during hurricane season. Perhaps you might be able to join them on that trip. Most of those yachts however do a straight trip instead of a leisurely island hop. But you never know.

Join the discussion. Click the button below to Login or Register now!

Click here to login

• Blue Ocean Transport

Moving to the U.S. Virgin Islands?

Settlers Handbook
Only $17.95

The Settlers Handbook for the U.S. Virgin Islands is your guide to moving to St. Croix, St. Thomas, St. John and Water Island.

The current 18th Edition, released in January 2016, will help you explore your dream of island living. A solid reference book, it was first published in 1975. That's 40 years of helping people move to the islands. A must read. Order today.

Order Today

Advertise

Join VIMovingCenter.com Today!

Tell prospective and current residents about your business.

Learn More →

Sister Sites

VITraders

USVI Books & Souvenirs

VInow

USVI Vacation Guide

Living in de V.I.

USVI Relocation DVD

Proud Supporter

VI Olympic Team

For over 45 years, the Virgin Islands has celebrated the Olympic tradition by sending our athletes to compete.

Learn More →