Join discussions on moving to and living in the USVI, ask questions, share info & tips! (Vacationing? Visit Travel Message Board)

Re: Buy a car or ship a car? Opinions needed!

dahiker
February 10, 2012 05:13PM

I heard that older pick-up trucks were in demand. I have a 1967 Ford F-100...practically all original, and runs great. Any truth to the rumor?

ChanelCinq
February 25, 2012 03:42PM

People are asking costs to ship back to the states. I live in Puerto Rico and a few students shipped there cars here and paid just shy of 4,000. They were newer cars. Of the ones that have shipped cars back, I have never heard a quote of over 1,000. One was 700 USD and another 800 USD. I am sure the USVI is similar to PR and it must be a lot cheaper to ship it back.

So if my SCion starts with the letter "J" I will pay 3.5% taxes, 500 to 550 USD to ship from PR. Depending if I move to STX orr STT. Then is their anything else on top of those two fees??

By the way Jennyfish are you moving to STX to go to school for nursing? I am from CA and a 3.5 in my first Bachelors was not going to get me into any school there. My guess could be a long shot but it seems like everyone I meet is going into nursing.

skighee
March 01, 2012 12:38AM

If your car is in good condition I would ship it!

speee1dy
March 01, 2012 01:20PM

there could soon be an influx of used cars on island what with hovensa closing and some people moving back to the states

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Moving to the U.S. Virgin Islands?

Settlers Handbook
Only $17.95

The Settlers Handbook for the U.S. Virgin Islands is your guide to moving to St. Croix, St. Thomas, St. John and Water Island.

Whether you are dreaming about island living, received a job transfer, are a new resident, or plan to retire in the USVI later down the road - this book is worth reading!

Order Today

Advertise

Join VIMovingCenter.com Today!

Tell prospective and current residents about your business.

Learn More →

Sister Sites

VITraders

USVI Books & Souvenirs

VInow

USVI Vacation Guide

Living in de V.I.

USVI Relocation DVD

Proud Supporter

VI Olympic Team

For over 45 years, the Virgin Islands has celebrated the Olympic tradition by sending our athletes to compete.

Learn More →

Newsletter Signup

Sign up now for our FREE Virgin Islands Moving Center Newsletter and we will email you regular updates on what's happening in the Virgin Islands & on VImovingcenter.com. You can unsubscribe at any time. Simply fill in the form below.

CAPTCHA