Join discussions on moving to and living in the USVI, ask questions, share info & tips! (Vacationing? Visit Travel Message Board)

Wear Red, Retire at 55 ... and the LEAC is Solved !!!

Lucy
February 14, 2012 10:45AM

Just to keep you all informed as to what our senators are working on ... and consider a priority now.

[www.legvi.org]
This has the full list of bills being considered. The most recent are down the list. Here are some of the better ones:

[www.legvi.org]
Wear Red Day. We know how important that is during a financial crisis.

[www.legvi.org]
Automatic retirement for WAPA employees at age 55. Where do I sign up? That should help clean out the dead wood.

[www.legvi.org]
LEAC and energy crisis solved. More than enough money to get us saved by renewable energy.

Re: Wear Red, Retire at 55 ... and the LEAC is Solved !!!

IslandHops
February 14, 2012 11:57AM

I wonder what the quantity of 30 years of cannabis equates to? 8-)
I'm guessing it must be a "positive" number, eh Terrence?

[www.legvi.org]

Lucy
February 14, 2012 12:02PM

Hey Island that's a good one that I missed. There are so many.

Now all I'll need to do is find my Red Smoking Jacket !!!

dahiker
February 14, 2012 06:27PM

I noticed the "30 YEAR" language too. So a gram a day, times 365 days, times 30 years =10,950 grams or 24.11 lbs. Blimey mate! That's positive in more ways than one....(:

OldTart
February 15, 2012 06:11AM

IslandHops
I wonder what the quantity of 30 years of cannabis equates to? 8-)
I'm guessing it must be a "positive" number, eh Terrence?

[www.legvi.org]

That's hilarious! Now we know at least one of the possible reasons why the good senator demonstrates a propensity for clouded judgement. :P

Lucy
March 05, 2012 09:22AM

They are finally taking action on a few of the more important issues that we have... especially wear red day.

[www.legvi.org]

Why is it that they need 2 days each week to "work" in the office? They all have sizable staffs.

Now I see they want another commission and the Gov. to buy property for a road race track. I thought the USVI government budget was "bust".

OldTart
March 05, 2012 09:50AM

Lucy
Now I see they want another commission and the Gov. to buy property for a road race track. I thought the USVI government budget was "bust".

The drag racing track has long been proposed and isn't a poor idea at all. There are a lot of drag racers in the territory but the last strip on STT was closed down in 1984. Here's an article from July 2010 which pretty much sums it all up:

[virginislandsdailynews.com]

Whether or not you're a fan of drag racing, they're here and keeping the racers off the streets is a no-brainer. If your neighborhood streets (or any 'hood within a half mile of you) has never been the preferred "site of the night" for the dragsters, then feel lucky!

Lucy
March 05, 2012 11:54AM

OldTart
Lucy

The drag racing track has long been proposed and isn't a poor idea at all. There are a lot of drag racers in the territory but the last strip on STT was closed down in 1984. Here's an article from July 2010 which pretty much sums it all up:

[virginislandsdailynews.com]

Whether or not you're a fan of drag racing, they're here and keeping the racers off the streets is a no-brainer. If your neighborhood streets (or any 'hood within a half mile of you) has never been the preferred "site of the night" for the dragsters, then feel lucky!

I am not opposed to racing. If fact just last week I was able to see the end of the Daytona 500 because it got delayed. However, most drag strips and other race tracks in the rest of the USA are privately owned. Why does the USVI government need to own this. I can see where the Gov.t should (or could) facilitate it and let the racers put some "skin in the game". This is far from a legitimate entitlement.

OldTart
March 05, 2012 12:19PM

I agree.

noOne
March 05, 2012 01:30PM

OldTart
...There are a lot of drag racers in the territory but the last strip on STT was closed down in 1984. Here's an article from July 2010 which pretty much sums it all up:

They might have closed the administration of the drag strip, but I clearly remember going to the drag strip up until 1989. Sometime after 1990 they put concrete blocks in the strip and it was finally over...

OldTart
March 05, 2012 01:54PM

noOne
OldTart
...There are a lot of drag racers in the territory but the last strip on STT was closed down in 1984. Here's an article from July 2010 which pretty much sums it all up:

They might have closed the administration of the drag strip, but I clearly remember going to the drag strip up until 1989. Sometime after 1990 they put concrete blocks in the strip and it was finally over...

I'm sure you're right. The 2010 newspaper article I linked said it was closed in '84 so that was what I was going on. I know the subject of re-creating it has been brought up many times over many years but it always seems to fade back into oblivion.

Mytcar34
March 06, 2012 06:49AM

A1/8 mile drag strip is not a bad idea , is there a current location available. I know Saint Lucia, and Aruba have them.Don't think the local government should have to foot the bill entirely. I am a NHRA Funny car racer moving to the islands in the next ten months. I would be more than happy to help and setup a track if there is enough interest.

JulieKay
March 06, 2012 07:29AM

On the surface I could see how a drag strip could be a good thing - could channel some young energy into a fun and productive hobby, as well as offer a different type of tourism? Government shouldn't have to pay for it, in my opinion.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Moving to the U.S. Virgin Islands?

Settlers Handbook
Only $17.95

The Settlers Handbook for the U.S. Virgin Islands is your guide to moving to St. Croix, St. Thomas, St. John and Water Island.

Whether you are dreaming about island living, received a job transfer, are a new resident, or plan to retire in the USVI later down the road - this book is worth reading!

Order Today

Advertise

Join VIMovingCenter.com Today!

Tell prospective and current residents about your business.

Learn More →

Sister Sites

VITraders

USVI Books & Souvenirs

VInow

USVI Vacation Guide

Living in de V.I.

USVI Relocation DVD

Proud Supporter

VI Olympic Team

For over 45 years, the Virgin Islands has celebrated the Olympic tradition by sending our athletes to compete.

Learn More →

Newsletter Signup

Sign up now for our FREE Virgin Islands Moving Center Newsletter and we will email you regular updates on what's happening in the Virgin Islands & on VImovingcenter.com. You can unsubscribe at any time. Simply fill in the form below.

CAPTCHA