Join discussions on moving to and living in the USVI, ask questions, share info & tips! (Vacationing? Visit Travel Message Board)

2 questions, please.

cookieboss
February 20, 2012 03:56PM

Good day!
What do you consider the "Low season / High season" and why?
Also, we are planning our PMV #1 in the fall and would love a recommendation for a "sensible" hotel in the Charlotte Amalie area.
Thanks! 8-)

Re: 2 questions, please.

jbatl
February 20, 2012 04:18PM

I was just having this conversation today reference to STX, so things may vary slightly on STT. In general, the sense is that season begins after Thanksgiving (and ramps up slowly through the Xmas holidays), and wraps up around the Ironman, which I believe is the first week in May.

East Ender
February 20, 2012 04:58PM

Only two??;)

A good place for an extended visit is [www.crystalpalaceusvi.com]. Not only is it a good bargain, but the host is a wealth of knowledge and has helped many newcomers to the island.(tu)

High season for tourism is basically when it is cold in the states- December through April.

Hurricane season runs June through November, BTW, since you said you were coming in the fall. There are a number of restaurants, businesses and even hotels that close in September, the height of the season.

ms411
February 20, 2012 05:53PM

Depending on your employment situation, the fall is probably the worst time for a pre-move visit. It can sometimes be so dead, it's scary. You should come during peak season so you can meet more people, I think.

"Season" has changed considerably over the years as more families are visiting the Caribbean. It's no longer a destination for the "newly wed and nearly dead." Some businesses do better in June and July than they do in "season" because they have something that's family friendly. Also, more people are taking advantage of the lower rates in the summer regardless of the high temperatures.

I think you should stay in a condo where you can meet other residents rather than a "hotel." Check VRBO for condos, especially at Sapphire.

Also, if you volunteer with a national organization where you live, they probably have a chapter here, so that's a good place to start. Humane Society, Salvation Army, etc.

OldTart
February 20, 2012 06:07PM

ms411
I think you should stay in a condo where you can meet other residents rather than a "hotel." Check VRBO for condos, especially at Sapphire.

That point I disagree with. Condo residents don't put out any big welcome mat for even new permanent residents and I don't think that's the place to stay for a PMV. I'm with East Ender on this one in recommending Ronnie's Crystal Palace B&B as he has a fine reputation for taking care of potential newbies and keeping them on track!

Iris Tramm
February 21, 2012 05:59PM

OldTart
ms411

That point I disagree with. Condo residents don't put out any big welcome mat for even new permanent residents and I don't think that's the place to stay for a PMV. I'm with East Ender on this one in recommending Ronnie's Crystal Palace B&B as he has a fine reputation for taking care of potential newbies and keeping them on track!

Didn't someone post recently that his "place for housing newbies" is closed?

OldTart
February 21, 2012 06:24PM

Iris Tramm
OldTart
ms411

Didn't someone post recently that his "place for housing newbies" is closed?

His Villa Fairview place which housed many a newbie for extended periods is now no more but his B&B Crystal Palace is alive and well.

East Ender
February 21, 2012 07:37PM

He still has the Crystal Palace, a B & B in town. He sold his short term spot, Villa Fairview.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Moving to the U.S. Virgin Islands?

Settlers Handbook
Only $17.95

The Settlers Handbook for the U.S. Virgin Islands is your guide to moving to St. Croix, St. Thomas, St. John and Water Island.

Whether you are dreaming about island living, received a job transfer, are a new resident, or plan to retire in the USVI later down the road - this book is worth reading!

Order Today

Advertise

Join VIMovingCenter.com Today!

Tell prospective and current residents about your business.

Learn More →

Sister Sites

VITraders

USVI Books & Souvenirs

VInow

USVI Vacation Guide

Living in de V.I.

USVI Relocation DVD

Proud Supporter

VI Olympic Team

For over 45 years, the Virgin Islands has celebrated the Olympic tradition by sending our athletes to compete.

Learn More →

Newsletter Signup

Sign up now for our FREE Virgin Islands Moving Center Newsletter and we will email you regular updates on what's happening in the Virgin Islands & on VImovingcenter.com. You can unsubscribe at any time. Simply fill in the form below.

CAPTCHA