Join discussions on moving to and living in the USVI, ask questions, share info & tips! (Vacationing? Visit Travel Message Board)

Wind Turbine Commissioning on STX 2/29

Lucy
February 28, 2012 12:51PM

Re: Wind Turbine Commissioning on STX 2/29

STXBob
February 28, 2012 01:48PM

The public is invited to the dedication at 5:30pm on Wed 2/29/12 at St. Croix Reformed Church. Kingshill School will provide refreshments.

Mrsyogadoc
March 01, 2012 01:48AM

This is great! Why are there not more wind turbines on the island. Especially now in the setting of the plant closing? Do some build newer homes with solar panels? Are some folks able to be "off the grid" this way?

STXBob
March 01, 2012 10:27AM

Here's an article about the wind turbine and its dedication: [stcroixsource.com]

Mrsyogadoc
March 02, 2012 08:17AM

Very nice! Hopefully more of the island will catch on!

JulieKay
March 02, 2012 08:42AM

Yes. Really cool. :)

Neil
March 02, 2012 05:31PM

You can see a video of the turbine and click on a gallery of ceremony photos at www.stcroixreformed.org

Just before closing the ceremony, Pastor Koopmans said while pointing down La Reine Hill towards Hovensa,
"Down the hill we can all see Hovensa. They are no longer producing energy. ....We are."
It gave me shivers.

vasecs
March 03, 2012 08:06AM

I may have missed the answer, but may I ask for it anyway..........? What contractor/supplier/installer the wind turbine for this project?

Thank you board. :S

Lucy
March 03, 2012 10:01AM

It is a Bergey Wind Turbine. The below web page has the details.

[stcroixreformed.org]

Neil
March 03, 2012 11:20AM

Jeff Cabrera, Mayan Windpower. 340-690-3300. He'll have his website up early next week at www.mayanwindpower.com

Jeff is an experienced installer and has worked on big and small turbines for some time. He isn't just a salesman. He understand the technology, and getting it done right.

Disclosure: I've become friends with Jeff, and I was the volunteer project coordinator for the church that installed the turbine.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Moving to the U.S. Virgin Islands?

Settlers Handbook
Only $17.95

The Settlers Handbook for the U.S. Virgin Islands is your guide to moving to St. Croix, St. Thomas, St. John and Water Island.

Whether you are dreaming about island living, received a job transfer, are a new resident, or plan to retire in the USVI later down the road - this book is worth reading!

Order Today

Advertise

Join VIMovingCenter.com Today!

Tell prospective and current residents about your business.

Learn More →

Sister Sites

VITraders

USVI Books & Souvenirs

VInow

USVI Vacation Guide

Living in de V.I.

USVI Relocation DVD

Proud Supporter

VI Olympic Team

For over 45 years, the Virgin Islands has celebrated the Olympic tradition by sending our athletes to compete.

Learn More →

Newsletter Signup

Sign up now for our FREE Virgin Islands Moving Center Newsletter and we will email you regular updates on what's happening in the Virgin Islands & on VImovingcenter.com. You can unsubscribe at any time. Simply fill in the form below.

CAPTCHA