Join discussions on moving to and living in the USVI, ask questions, share info & tips! (Vacationing? Visit Travel Message Board)

Where did topic go

speee1dy
October 23, 2012 04:06PM

hey

there was a topic about someone who knew a very shy person. Where did that thread go?

Re: Where did topic go

Alana33
October 23, 2012 05:23PM

Ask Islander!
Last I saw IT was a bit rude and OT called her on it and then everything was gone!

speee1dy
October 23, 2012 05:48PM

boy did i miss a lot-it seemed like a decent conversation last i looked

speee1dy
October 23, 2012 05:50PM

and how did it get heated enough that it was pulled? just a nice simple thread about how shy people could meet others.

Bombi
October 23, 2012 06:22PM

To bad, I was going to post some ways that I try to be more social. Part of the solution is to identify the cause.

sallyf
October 23, 2012 07:51PM

that is what i was thinking - meet people doing something that you love - helps stop the initial "what do I talk about?" problem...I thought that between us we could have come up with some groups or activities that she could have quietly joined. My only concern was that she felt that she couldn't explore St Thomas alone - perhaps might be a self-confidence thing rather than true shyness - the OP seemed to know her pretty well tho..

blu4u
October 23, 2012 09:17PM

Interesting.....??? Funny how conversations turn ugly when certain people are involved....

Too bad I missed the thread. I like meeting new people. I think it depends upon having an activity or interest that you enjoy. For years most of my social life revolved around the kid's school and their friend's parents. Life as empty nester is less full. Where are all the good book clubs?

Iris Tramm
October 23, 2012 10:15PM

Alana33
Ask Islander!
Last I saw IT was a bit rude and OT called her on it and then everything was gone!

Liable much?

Sheesh. Heretoforward let it be known that Alana33 can't take a joke.

Islander
October 23, 2012 11:16PM

Admin

Sorry folks, the original poster of that thread asked for it to be removed... perhaps because the shy individual didn't like that the thread was about them. Anyway, it was a very good topic. And certainly if someone wants to start a general topic about how to get involved once they move, how to meet people, it might be a great thing to do.

BeachcomberStt
October 24, 2012 12:39AM

As the OP of the thread that disappeared.

All I am going to say is I stuck my nose where it shouldn't have gone and asked for it to removed.

I learned a lesson regretfully.

sallyf
October 24, 2012 01:00AM

I am sure that your heart was in the right place - it is sure difficult to navigate the waters of the human relationships smiling

BeachcomberStt
October 24, 2012 02:00AM

Like Islander said this topic is closed and if someone else would like to start a thread like Islander described above. Go for it! smiling

speee1dy
October 24, 2012 08:07AM

well, at least i know what happened. for a bit there i thought i was going crazy.

Alana33
October 24, 2012 11:41AM

BeachcomberStt
Like Islander said this topic is closed and if someone else would like to start a thread like Islander described above. Go for it! smiling

You gained some insight and you did your best to help a friend.

Linda J
October 25, 2012 08:46AM

Speedy, are you sure you aren't going crazy anyway???

Bombi
October 25, 2012 09:22AM

a little bit crazy is good, no?

speee1dy
October 25, 2012 10:15AM

linda, that is always possible

Linda J
October 25, 2012 10:20AM

I thought leaving STX would make me saner -- so far, not happening. lol

speee1dy
October 25, 2012 11:48AM

CAtoSTX
October 25, 2012 12:09PM

Linda J
I thought leaving STX would make me saner -- so far, not happening. lol

It's all Ric's fault. but sane or not, you are missed!

Linda J
October 25, 2012 12:58PM

Miss you guys too! But there are some perks to living here. This weekend Ric and I took a 4-day trip into the Smoky Mountains to enjoy the fall color. It was great.

speee1dy
October 25, 2012 02:15PM

now see, thats the kind of stuff i want to do

Linda J
October 26, 2012 09:15AM

During the 8+ years I lived on STX I missed people in the states, but I only missed 3 other things:

Autumn

Home newspaper delivery, especially sitting with a cup of tea reading the Sunday paper.

Long, hot showers on a chilly day

speee1dy
October 26, 2012 09:34AM

i miss the autumn too

OldTart
October 26, 2012 10:35AM

speee1dy
i miss the autumn too

I don't any more although in my first several years here I did, as I lived in New England for 17 years prior to the move to the USVI and the change of seasons was something I did miss. Much the same way that I miss the "green" of the UK where I was born and raised and which, when watching movies filmed there, somehow "pangs" me.

That was until I started to feel the subtleties of the seasonal changes here and grew to appreciate them. It's perfectly normal to miss that to which you've become accustomed but, as time goes by, you slowly adapt to what you have in whatever place you're living. I think, once you shed the unrealistic expectation of comparisons, you can enjoy life here.

There is no dispute that living in the USVI or any other US territory is "different".

Join the discussion. Click the button below to Login or Register now!

Click here to login

• Blue Ocean Transport

Moving to the U.S. Virgin Islands?

Settlers Handbook
Only $17.95

The Settlers Handbook for the U.S. Virgin Islands is your guide to moving to St. Croix, St. Thomas, St. John and Water Island.

The current 18th Edition, released in January 2016, will help you explore your dream of island living. A solid reference book, it was first published in 1975. That's 40 years of helping people move to the islands. A must read. Order today.

Order Today

Advertise

Join VIMovingCenter.com Today!

Tell prospective and current residents about your business.

Learn More →

Sister Sites

VITraders

USVI Books & Souvenirs

VInow

USVI Vacation Guide

Living in de V.I.

USVI Relocation DVD

Proud Supporter

VI Olympic Team

For over 45 years, the Virgin Islands has celebrated the Olympic tradition by sending our athletes to compete.

Learn More →