Join discussions on moving to and living in the USVI, ask questions, share info & tips! (Vacationing? Visit Travel Message Board)

STT Cistern Cleaning and/or repairs?

islandlola
December 09, 2012 10:10AM

Does anyone have recommendations for cistern cleaning and/or repairs on STT?

Also, would folks mind sharing what they paid for any recent cistern cleaning jobs?

Best,

Islandlola

Re: STT Cistern Cleaning and/or repairs?

gonetropo
December 09, 2012 10:26AM

Sorry.....didn't notice that you mentioned STT in the subject......can' help you there!

Should range between .08 - .10 per gallon.

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 12/09/2012 10:58AM by gonetropo.

OldTart
December 09, 2012 11:35AM

I know a couple of people who've used Allstar Services on STT and have been satisfied with the job done. Can't help you on price as it's been many years since I've had it done but I have one hint to offer. Unless your cistern is continually well fed and full, wait until summer and a dry spell to get it done. Less water in it means less to pump out and the job goes faster.

Alana33
December 09, 2012 11:49AM

If you are cleaning your cistern, be prepared to be completely without water unless you have separate cisterns or a additional storage tank.
If your cistern is full and you just want to clean it as OT said, wait until a dry spell and your cistern is low as you'll waste less water pumping it out. If you have a close neighbor you can always give them the extra water by running a hose into their cistern.
The process usually takes 7-10 days (in my experience) to have it cleaned. First they empty it, then the clean out whatever is on the bottom, fix it, if necessary, then wash it out and re-coat and then there is one more step but it's been awhile and my memory fails but it has to cure for a couple days prior to replacing water in cistern.

I'll PM you name of person I have used in the past that has done very good work for me.

If your cistern is leaking, well, you'll be out of water soon so may as well get it cleaned, fixed and resealed.
Prices have probably gone up since I had mine done a few years back (and it probably depends on the size of cistern/difficulty) but I think it ran about $1000 - $1200. plus water to refill cistern afterwards.

You can buy one of those plastic 500 gal containers to place your cistern water in to use while it's being cleaned (and use frugally to last you). Some services offer use of them at a higher price for the cleaning. Ask about this if you are calling around as it is impossible to do without water completely for days.

Ronnie
December 09, 2012 12:15PM

Big Lee. They advertise in the Daily News on the services page.

RLcool

islandlola
December 09, 2012 07:30PM

Thanks all for the recommendations!

Best,

Islandlola

Join the discussion. Click the button below to Login or Register now!

Click here to login

• Blue Ocean Transport

Moving to the U.S. Virgin Islands?

Settlers Handbook
Only $17.95

The Settlers Handbook for the U.S. Virgin Islands is your guide to moving to St. Croix, St. Thomas, St. John and Water Island.

The current 18th Edition, released in January 2016, will help you explore your dream of island living. A solid reference book, it was first published in 1975. That's 40 years of helping people move to the islands. A must read. Order today.

Order Today

Advertise

Join VIMovingCenter.com Today!

Tell prospective and current residents about your business.

Learn More →

Sister Sites

VITraders

USVI Books & Souvenirs

VInow

USVI Vacation Guide

Living in de V.I.

USVI Relocation DVD

Proud Supporter

VI Olympic Team

For over 45 years, the Virgin Islands has celebrated the Olympic tradition by sending our athletes to compete.

Learn More →