Join discussions on moving to and living in the USVI, ask questions, share info & tips! (Vacationing? Visit Travel Message Board)

US Virgin Islands murder rate

susan56
March 01, 2013 09:34PM

Is it true that the USVI has the highest murder rate than any other city in the US?

Lived in a really bad section of Brooklyn for 2 years and never had a problem. Lived on STX for one year and misssed a double homicide in the parking lot next door to where I worked at 11:30 am. Where my husband worked one employee shot another. My husband missed a drive by shooting at Foodtown by 1 minute.

Wake up and smell the coffee.....if you can afford to buy it!

Re: US Virgin Islands murder rate

Ms Information
March 01, 2013 10:22PM

I don't know the intent of your post. However, I must agree that crime is out of control in the US Virgin Islands. It is time that our collective outrage causes the government and law enforcement people to do something about crime and murder in the islands.

speee1dy
March 02, 2013 06:26AM

i think last year we were third in the world and yes we have been first in the past

sunshinefun
March 02, 2013 06:53AM

MESSAGE REMOVED: Please revisit board rules regarding forum etiquette.

InnAtPelicanHeights
March 02, 2013 09:07AM

If your posting is factual, can you back up your post with dates and locations of incidents; could have missed news and headlines, but incident(s) should have headlines similar to what I post as incident.

Location Date Incident
1. Police Investigating 2 Killed in Parking Lot

2. Employee shoots another employee at ____________________________________

3. Police Investigating drive by Shooting At Foodtown

Many of the board followers interested to see locations and dates of incidents.

STXBob
March 02, 2013 10:49AM

Here are some articles on the subject:

[virginislandsdailynews.com]
"V.I. homicide rate still among world's highest"
Includes details of each homicide from 2012.

[virginislandsdailynews.com]
"Top 15 homicide rates in the world"
The figures are for 2004-2009. USVI was #8 on the list.

The USVI murder rate fluctuiates a lot from year to year because we're such a small territory, but ours is pretty consistently among the highest.

EMC2
March 02, 2013 11:00AM

June 2012. Fact : Shooting at Iggies Beach Bar, Bolongo Bay. After closing the bar manager and another employee were shot in a robbery attempt.

Police Investigation?:D

East Ender
March 02, 2013 11:00AM

susan: I also don't understand your intent. You came to the VI for a year and you didn't like it. You left. It is quite common for people who are leaving to vent their displeasure. But you have taken griping to new heights. Yes, the murder rate is high. It is the same thing going on in Chicago- young men in gangs killing each other over drugs and territory. Some people look at it as thinning the herd, others as social commentary on the breakdown of the family. Do you want to discuss or just comment? How does "waking up and smelling the coffee" help?

Maybe you should be "under the coconut tree" instead of relo info.

susan56
March 02, 2013 11:56AM

Shooting in parking lot next to Schooner Bay approx 10/11

Shooting at the Palms approx 2/12

Shooting at Foodtown approx. 5/12

All during the datime.

Those are the only ones either my husband and I witnessed.

My post is in response to a previous poster in an earlier thread who said that the crime is much more than the residents want to admit and thus decided not to move there.

East Ender
March 02, 2013 12:56PM

susan: What I mean is why do you persist after 6 months in Big America? You moved here. Then you got dengue. Didn't like the island way of dealing with toilets (In these isles of sun and fun, we never flush for number one!), didn't like the temperature, didn't like the culture.Okay, I get it. But you continue to post about how awful it was. I do think you should write out your experiences for Islander's Moving Stories. Maybe that would be cathartic.

mtdoramike
March 02, 2013 03:07PM

Oooooooo, let me break out old Webster, cathartic, cathartic, cathartic. Here it is:

ca·thar·tic (k-thärtk)
adj.
Inducing catharsis; purgative.
n.
An agent for purging the bowels, especially a laxative.

Say What?

Linda J
March 02, 2013 03:46PM

Try this definition of the root word:

ca·thar·sis
[kuh-thahr-sis]

noun, plural ca·thar·ses [kuh-thahr-seez] Show IPA .
the purging of the emotions or relieving of emotional tensions, especially through certain kinds of art, as tragedy or music.

Medicine/Medical , purgation.

Psychiatry.
a.
psychotherapy that encourages or permits the discharge of pent-up, socially unacceptable affects.

b.
discharge of pent-up emotions so as to result in the alleviation of symptoms or the permanent relief of the condition.

Surfer33
March 02, 2013 03:48PM

MESSAGE REMOVED: Please revisit board rules regarding forum etiquette.

Cruz
March 02, 2013 04:37PM

susan56
Shooting in parking lot next to Schooner Bay approx 10/11

Shooting at the Palms approx 2/12

Shooting at Foodtown approx. 5/12

All during the datime.

Those are the only ones either my husband and I witnessed.

My post is in response to a previous poster in an earlier thread who said that the crime is much more than the residents want to admit and thus decided not to move there.

I'm not going to dispute that these incidents happened, but there is a hole in the above "eyewitness" account. I'll let you figure it out your self since you and you're husband were "eyewitnesses".

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/02/2013 04:40PM by Cruz.

Ronnie
March 02, 2013 05:01PM

And FYI, since you left there is a new forum for these sorts of things. Under the Coconut tree. Do note that the other thread was close by the moderator. I guess they should move this one.

RL8-)

speee1dy
March 02, 2013 05:26PM

surfer33, a bit overboard in your words. your first sentence was uncalled for. you can state your opinion without calling someone vile names

mtdoramike
March 02, 2013 06:14PM

hahahahahahaha, thanks, I like that a bit better. :)

Linda J
Try this definition of the root word:

ca·thar·sis
[kuh-thahr-sis]

noun, plural ca·thar·ses [kuh-thahr-seez] Show IPA .
the purging of the emotions or relieving of emotional tensions, especially through certain kinds of art, as tragedy or music.

Medicine/Medical , purgation.

Psychiatry.
a.
psychotherapy that encourages or permits the discharge of pent-up, socially unacceptable affects.

b.
discharge of pent-up emotions so as to result in the alleviation of symptoms or the permanent relief of the condition.

stx2020
March 02, 2013 08:31PM

lot of peeps did not hear about the shooting at the palms

it was swept under the rug and kept quiet for whatever reasons, pretty sure it did not make the news or newspaper

last few months there has been a few armed robberies on the beach and at the rooms over there

susan56
March 02, 2013 09:42PM

Cruz...don't get the hole thing....enlighten me.

STXjill
March 02, 2013 10:24PM

East Ender
susan: What I mean is why do you persist after 6 months in Big America? You moved here. Then you got dengue. Didn't like the island way of dealing with toilets (In these isles of sun and fun, we never flush for number one!), didn't like the temperature, didn't like the culture.Okay, I get it. But you continue to post about how awful it was. I do think you should write out your experiences for Islander's Moving Stories. Maybe that would be cathartic.

I agree and wonder the same thing. If you lived here for a very short period of time and didn't like it ... Move on! You keep coming back here to post your negative thoughts, which we've already read. We get it ... You didn't like it here, let it go and enjoy your new life in America.

susan56
March 02, 2013 10:37PM

I was fine with the culture and still stay in contact with many of my local friends. I just think when people are thinking about moving to the VI you should be totally honest.

susan56
March 02, 2013 10:41PM

PS....I don't need an enema.

STXjill
March 02, 2013 10:54PM

susan56
I was fine with the culture and still stay in contact with many of my local friends. I just think when people are thinking about moving to the VI you should be totally honest.
P

A large part of the culture (and getting along here) is greeting people by saying "good morning, good afternoon or good night" ... you couldn't hack that. In my opinion, that's one of the simplest and most enjoyable parts of living here. What's it hurt to say good morning?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/02/2013 10:57PM by STXjill.

East Ender
March 03, 2013 08:43AM

susan: I think that for the most part we are honest. I have always said: it is very different here. You need to come check it out in person. If you move here, leave yourself an out in case it doesn't work out for you. Don't sell your house and all your possesions back home. Stay for 6 months to a year and then contemplate if you want to extend your visit. Many folks don't stay past the 6 month time frame.

And I agree with Jill. Greeting people is one of the nicest conventions in this culture. Good day!;)

Linda J
March 03, 2013 09:59AM

We were at a party recently and one of the guests, when arriving, greeted the room with "good night". It was surprising what an immediate kinship we felt with her. Turns out she's from Dominica.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Moving to the U.S. Virgin Islands?

Settlers Handbook
Only $17.95

The Settlers Handbook for the U.S. Virgin Islands is your guide to moving to St. Croix, St. Thomas, St. John and Water Island.

Whether you are dreaming about island living, received a job transfer, are a new resident, or plan to retire in the USVI later down the road - this book is worth reading!

Order Today

Advertise

Join VIMovingCenter.com Today!

Tell prospective and current residents about your business.

Learn More →

Sister Sites

VITraders

USVI Books & Souvenirs

VInow

USVI Vacation Guide

Living in de V.I.

USVI Relocation DVD

Proud Supporter

VI Olympic Team

For over 45 years, the Virgin Islands has celebrated the Olympic tradition by sending our athletes to compete.

Learn More →

Newsletter Signup

Sign up now for our FREE Virgin Islands Moving Center Newsletter and we will email you regular updates on what's happening in the Virgin Islands & on VImovingcenter.com. You can unsubscribe at any time. Simply fill in the form below.

CAPTCHA