Join discussions on moving to and living in the USVI, ask questions, share info & tips! (Vacationing? Visit Travel Message Board)

Re: Horse drowning at Cane Bay

speee1dy
March 20, 2013 07:16PM

i like your pixels comment

Alana33
March 22, 2013 12:09PM

Terryd or anyone that was there during the incident and right after, PM me your e-mail and will put you in touch with someone from the Daily News as I reached out and they had heard nothing of the incident but since I wasn't there, I cannot explain what, where, when, who and how many.

Alana33
March 22, 2013 09:39PM

Bump - this is not something that shoukd be brushed aside!

CAMountainGal
March 23, 2013 09:21AM

Oh what short memories the VI has. I seem to remember about 2 1/2 yrs ago in Puerto Rico a serious horse abuse case. The owner of the horse repeatedly abused a poor horse and nothing was done because there were no animal abuse laws on the books. Even appealing to the Gov did no good..

An animal rights activist group who is on island called for the boycott of the island. As a result: the tourism industry lost $22 million in tourist dollars and laws were quickly added to the books. In addition, the owner was charged and the horse removed from him.

I would caution V Islanders to heed this message. The VI can ill afford to lose precious tourist dollars due to the actions of horrible people and the animal activists are still here in PR monitoring the treatment of animals.

You would be surprised at the # of people who will cancel their vacations to places where this type of thing occurs and nothing is done among other reasons.

EMC2
March 23, 2013 09:44AM

Amazingly there's no boycott because of all the cold blooded murders and shootings there.

AandA2VI
March 23, 2013 11:02AM

CAMountainGal
Oh what short memories the VI has. I seem to remember about 2 1/2 yrs ago in Puerto Rico a serious horse abuse case. The owner of the horse repeatedly abused a poor horse and nothing was done because there were no animal abuse laws on the books. Even appealing to the Gov did no good..

An animal rights activist group who is on island called for the boycott of the island. As a result: the tourism industry lost $22 million in tourist dollars and laws were quickly added to the books. In addition, the owner was charged and the horse removed from him.

I would caution V Islanders to heed this message. The VI can ill afford to lose precious tourist dollars due to the actions of horrible people and the animal activists are still here in PR monitoring the treatment of animals.

You would be surprised at the # of people who will cancel their vacations to places where this type of thing occurs and nothing is done among other reasons.

CA: Am I misunderstanding or are you saying not to speak out? Isn't that whats caused this crime rate in the first place? No one getting held accountable? I would like to see how they got $22m. How would one even get these numbers?? You would have to do a MAJOR research and call all travel agencies, hotels, airlines etc. I cant imagine there is any real truth to that number and the cost associated with collecting that data. Not to mention with the entire US economy situation you could easily blame it on that as well. Not enough $ to go on vaca. Just seems impossible to attribute 22 million dollars to a horse abuse case.

Secondly, I am SURE that the bad p.r. would be from the cruise shippers who were actually there when this happened. Theres average of 3000 people on a ship and most for 7 days. Rumors of bad things happening at ports spreads like WILDFIRE, Ive been on 6, seen it happen. So you have 3 people who saw this happen at Cane bay, they tell 3 then they tell 3 and before you know it, the story is all over and THEN they tell their friends when they get home. THIS is the reason to STOP things like this from happening. THIS is how the tourism industry can collapse. By not reporting and following through with these incidents, it only will create more of the same.

Lastly - Very unlikely that they would be reading our papers..... not to mention IF they are reading our papers the horse drowning is the LEAST of their worries. I think do the crime, do the time, human or animal. We need Sheriff Joe down here...... Just my .02

conchadoo
March 23, 2013 11:58AM

Google PR Horse abuse case. It was estimated by tourism officials that PR lost 15 million as a result of this case. Nothing verified in the STX drowning accident or cruel act. You think maybe just hyperbole?

Sheriff Joe is after the fact, the crime has already been committed he is just the guest keeper. The islands guest keeper got busted by the Fed's. Golden made Joe look like a Holiday Express. Just Sayin'

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 03/23/2013 12:24PM by conchadoo.

CAMountainGal
March 23, 2013 01:32PM

Aand A;

I wasn't attempting to say anything about not speaking out or the contrary. The 22m I cited first came from the tourism industry in PR. Apparently, it was revised down to the 15m. In any case however, any tourism dollars lost is horrendous for countries that rely on tourism especially due to bad behavior from a few.

I am close to a animal rescue ctr here who did verify the fact that the horse abuse case here on this island caused a lot of angst for many, but did end with some good laws that they now enforce.

I merely meant that if this case is true and I can't see why it wouldn't be, then someone needs to get it under control before others decide that they need to. Just pointing something out.

Rowdy802
March 23, 2013 01:48PM

CAMountainGal
... there were no animal abuse laws on the books...

A small correction... There WERE animal cruelty and abuse laws in PR but, they were grossly outdated and the penalties were no more than a slap on the wrist... The actual case was not about a horse... It was a lot worse... It was about a %$^$ idiot who threw dogs to their death from a bridge... The case of the horse then was the first one tried out under the new laws, and found guilty, and received 12 year prison time sentence...

The case of the dogs in PR was the one that was an eye opener and caused the outrage you speak about... Over 50,000 people signed a petition to boycot traveling to PR... The impact was measured, as stated in this thread, in MILLIONS of lost tourism income...

I was recently in STX and my experience was not a very positive one... The VIs CANNOT afford not one bit of bad press...

I am outraged it appears that not much seems to be happening in regards to carry a serious investigation and evaluation of the facts on this case...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/23/2013 02:03PM by Rowdy802.

OldTart
March 23, 2013 02:30PM

Rowdy802
It was about a %$^$ idiot who threw dogs to their death from a bridge...

The case in PR was six years ago when a company which was hired to pick up stray animals and take them to animal shelters instead - and over a period of time - brutally and inhumanely "took care of them". The abuse was finally exposed when their workers were caught throwing both live and dead animals over an overpass into the deep gully below. The animals had been pets of people in a housing project where animals weren't allowed and the company went on a massive round-up to collect the animals when the residents failed to remove them from the property. It was an abominable scene which raised an international outcry. Reports can be found on the internet along with follow-ups.

AandA2VI
March 23, 2013 03:39PM

CAMountainGal
Aand A;
I merely meant that if this case is true and I can't see why it wouldn't be, then someone needs to get it under control before others decide that they need to. Just pointing something out.

Totally agree.

speee1dy
March 23, 2013 05:43PM

rowdy what was your experience.

Rowdy802
March 24, 2013 01:52PM

OldTart
Rowdy802
It was about a %$^$ idiot who threw dogs to their death from a bridge...

The case in PR was six years ago when a company which was hired to pick up stray animals and take them to animal shelters instead - and over a period of time - brutally and inhumanely "took care of them". The abuse was finally exposed when their workers were caught throwing both live and dead animals over an overpass into the deep gully below. The animals had been pets of people in a housing project where animals weren't allowed and the company went on a massive round-up to collect the animals when the residents failed to remove them from the property. It was an abominable scene which raised an international outcry. Reports can be found on the internet along with follow-ups.

That is correct... Sad but true... It boils my blood to think about it... At least the government there took action, updated the law, and put it to good use...

I actually didn't want to voice an opinion on this thread but, as an animal lover, I can't hold it in any longer...

This case in STX has its merits... I just want to know WHAT happened so that it reduces the possibility of it happening again... The dead horse at least deserves that! This I will say: If you are taking an animal to a difficult situation, the very least you can do, is check everything to be sure you don't put the animal and yourself in a dangerous situation... That person needed to check if the area is safe and which was the safe route, and THEN, go ahead and do it, always monitoring the animal for distress... Regardless of whether it was an accident or intentional, as the animal trainer/ owner, that person is responsible for the outcome...

speee1dy
rowdy what was your experience.

Eventually, I will sit down and write about the experience in the right forum... All I can say is that the VIs, STX specially, lost the golden egg goose when Hovensa shutdown... Unlike all the rumors surrounding the place, it will take a miracle to get that refinery reopened... The islands need to re-invent themselves to bring back income and everybody needs to be nice and sensible to people that visit... I wanted to see what was happening in STX as I've been considering purchasing a property... Because of this last experience, I decided to put it on hold and wait and see what happens... I am still optimistic that things will start to improve, then I will make my move... For know, I'd rather err on caution..

Ok, enough hijacking of the thread from me...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/24/2013 01:53PM by Rowdy802.

OldTart
March 24, 2013 04:03PM

Rowdy802

That is correct... Sad but true... It boils my blood to think about it... At least the government there took action, updated the law, and put it to good use...

And (lest we not forget or for those who just don't know) many many years of work by concerned citizens, the local humane societies and countless other interested parties finally resulted in the passing of the USVI animal cruelty bill just a few short years ago. I believe one case has already come to court and several others are still pending.

speee1dy
March 24, 2013 05:13PM

rowdy, whatever it was i am sorry for your experience. we are looking into moving back to the states. hubby is more than fed up with everything. we both like it here for the usually things. but he has had about enough.

lily1025
March 25, 2013 12:22AM

Alana33
Terryd or anyone that was there during the incident and right after, PM me your e-mail and will put you in touch with someone from the Daily News as I reached out and they had heard nothing of the incident but since I wasn't there, I cannot explain what, where, when, who and how many.
alana,you are so so right! why aren't any of the people at cane bay coming forward?there has been nothing in the papers.has anyone got a response from the police,senators etc.?

Alana33
March 25, 2013 09:22AM

I am still waiting to hear back from someone that was there so I can put them in touch with someone at DN.
We all must be against animal cruelty and those that perpetuate and perpetrate any abuse.

conchadoo
March 25, 2013 05:28PM

conchadoo
A lot of horse owners and trainers will bring a horse to the ocean for hydrotherapy to help with an injury that normal lunging might aggravate. This type exercise and activity is good for the horse. and has been done on the islands since the Spanish arrived. I'm sure it was extremely upsetting to watch this happen. I would think we should wait to find out the real and exact details before we start the blame game.

This drowning incident was first posted on this forum March 18, 2013. a lot of opinion, speculation, and hyperbole to date March 25. 2013. Not much else.

speee1dy
March 26, 2013 08:43AM

you could call the country radio station and ask to speak to the lady that does the talk show-it was talked about on air

conchadoo
March 26, 2013 11:30AM

speedy,
Since you listened to the show why don't share what was said on the show. Did the show prove how the poor horse met his/her demise.
I have said in a past post on this thread that I was sure it very upsetting to see a horse drown and be pulled out of the water dead. However there has been no proof of cruelty by anyone that witnessed this tragic event.

speee1dy
March 26, 2013 12:49PM

i did not listen to the show, as stated in an earlier post, my husband did

Alana33
March 26, 2013 12:55PM

This was on another posting for sea turtles/driving on the beach but thought part of it applied here:

STXEEMPRanger [ PM ]
Re: Help - Can you drive on the beach? - STX new
March 26, 2013 09:47AM

"The issue of driving on the beach is a contentious one. Please do not approach folks who you believe to be in violation of Virgin Islands Code, please call 911 on weekends and after hours (5PM) DPNR 773-1082. St. Croix East End Marine Park 718-3367; DPNR Division of Environmental Enforcement 773-5774; DPNR Division of Fish and Wildlife 773-1082. According to VIC Title 32 ;Chapter 2; Section 26; Subsection (b), (VIC 32 § 21 (b) & 26(b))

§ 21. Division of Parks; duties of Division

(b) It shall be the duty of the Division of Parks to supervise, administer, manage, regulate and control the use and operation of all public parks, lands for public recreation, marine parks, and such others as may be designated by regulations by the Commissioner, including but not limited to beaches within the coastal zone as defined in Title 12, chapter 21 of this Code, that either are owned by or which may be acquired by the Government of the Virgin Islands, or to the operation, development, preservation or maintenance of which the Government may have made or may make contribution or appropriation of public funds.

§ 26. Horses and motor vehicles prohibited from recreational areas

(a) For purposes of this section, "recreational areas" means areas, under section 21(b) of this title, that are supervised, administered, managed, regulated and controlled by the Division of Parks.

(b) A person who causes a horse or a motor vehicle to go into any highly used beach or recreational area not designated for parking or driving purposes shall be fined not more than two hundred fifty dollars ($250) and/or imprisoned for not more than one hundred eighty (180) days.

The Law is vague as it relates to the definition of a highly used beach. However the Fedral overlap is turtle nesting beaches. Driving on the beach on a turtle nesting beach is prohibited due to the threat to the nest. However, please call DPNR Environmental Enforcement or St. Croix East End Marine Park M-F 8A-5P should you witness a violation occurring. Please do not approach or engage anyone please leave it to the authorities."

So at the very least, according to the above, the asses that drowned the horse could be charged for bringing the horse onto the beach?
Speedy - I don't listen to radio often and don't know the "country station" so would you post the station name/call #, the time of show or name of the host that discussed this?

Thanks.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/26/2013 12:56PM by Alana33.

conchadoo
March 26, 2013 01:17PM

Just for edification purpose, Cane Bay Beach has a ramp for boat trailers, trucks, cars and horses. One would ride from the road, the beach and ramp to enter the ocean and exit the ocean. No violation there.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/26/2013 01:28PM by conchadoo.

Jamison
March 26, 2013 01:56PM

This isn't about riding a horse in the water. It's about ignoring what the horse was trying to say and forcing it into a dangerous situation, which resulted in the death of the horse. Even at it's most innocent level, it's animal abuse, neglect and criminal and the fact that it is being swept under the rug, is a major example of what is wrong here. No personal accountability.

islandtyme
March 26, 2013 02:04PM

Conchadoo seams to really want this subject to disappear.....................are you the murderous owner in question since you seem to be rallying to their defence? Or perhaps animal abuse is something you could care less about & choose to put fingers in your ears, sing lalalalalala & it will all go away...........................

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Moving to the U.S. Virgin Islands?

Settlers Handbook
Only $17.95

The Settlers Handbook for the U.S. Virgin Islands is your guide to moving to St. Croix, St. Thomas, St. John and Water Island.

Whether you are dreaming about island living, received a job transfer, are a new resident, or plan to retire in the USVI later down the road - this book is worth reading!

Order Today

Advertise

Join VIMovingCenter.com Today!

Tell prospective and current residents about your business.

Learn More →

Sister Sites

VITraders

USVI Books & Souvenirs

VInow

USVI Vacation Guide

Living in de V.I.

USVI Relocation DVD

Proud Supporter

VI Olympic Team

For over 45 years, the Virgin Islands has celebrated the Olympic tradition by sending our athletes to compete.

Learn More →

Newsletter Signup

Sign up now for our FREE Virgin Islands Moving Center Newsletter and we will email you regular updates on what's happening in the Virgin Islands & on VImovingcenter.com. You can unsubscribe at any time. Simply fill in the form below.

CAPTCHA