Join discussions on moving to and living in the USVI, ask questions, share info & tips! (Vacationing? Visit Travel Message Board)

Lobster?

ms411
October 16, 2014 02:03PM

I know the spiney lobster, but not sure what the other, smaller creature that looks similar to just a tail but flatter is. Googled lobster and didn't see anything similar except lobster tails. At least whatever that is will fit in my pot!

Thanks!

Re: Lobster?

janeinstx
October 16, 2014 03:02PM

ms411
October 16, 2014 03:18PM

It looks kinda like that, but that lobster is found in Australia. Maybe it's a rock lobster?

OptimusPrime
October 16, 2014 03:24PM

We have slipper lobster here, and they taste just like the spiny lobster.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/16/2014 03:25PM by OptimusPrime.

ms411
October 16, 2014 03:29PM

Thank you, both! All the Google results only mention spiney lobsters in Caribbean. I am going to try that one next, because the others are just too big!

Alana33
October 16, 2014 03:33PM

Slipper lobsters. Very tasty. Same rules apply. No spearing, no taking females with eggs and must be a certain size.

ms411
October 16, 2014 04:02PM

I can barely cook them let alone hunt them. I can only trust that the fishermen in Market Square followed the rules.

rotorhead
October 16, 2014 04:16PM

Mantis Shrimp?

Alana33
October 16, 2014 04:42PM

Totally different.

DonExodus
October 16, 2014 10:14PM

Are you thinking of a spanish lobster - aka langusta or spotteds?

Alana33
October 17, 2014 03:52AM

See this link for photos of the slipper lobster:[www.realmonstrosities.com]

St X
October 17, 2014 08:49AM

Spiny lobster-Panulirus Argus

Spotted Lobster- Panulirus Guttatus

Slipper Lobster- Scyllarides Nodifer

Spanish Lobster-Scyllarides Aequinoctialis

ms411
October 17, 2014 07:00PM

Well, even though I've had enough lobster for a month, I'm going to Market Square STT to find out more about slipper lobsters. They probably won't have them, because I don't see them every week. Those spiney lobsters are just too big!

ChrisMI
October 17, 2014 08:22PM

Looking especially at the Spanish lobster it's easy to see why they're called 'the cockroach of the sea' ;-)

Alana33
October 17, 2014 08:38PM

Anyone with excess lobsters can donate to my favorite cause: me!

AandA2VI
October 19, 2014 11:04PM

Please consider NOT eating lobster or maybe only once a year. Not sure if y'all know but lobster - spiny - take FIVE years to mature. While there are regulations on collection size and times of year, they are in a huge decline.

Personally I can't eat it - for above mentioned reasons but also because the feed one Sh|* and decaying mater.

Like putting a roach on the BBQ. Gross. But hey that's just me. Like eating dumpster chicken. I just can't do it lol.

I catch spotteds nearly very night for our night snorkel visitors, educate and release. All of our guests are suprised by the info they get and many leave with a new view on lobster.

In regards to slippers - they are not rare perse but I will tell you that they are MUCH more rare than the spiney and spotted. I've never seen a female with eggs or tar spot - I've only seen a few dozen in 2 years. I've caught quite a few to show guests but I could never eat one because they just don't seem to be that coommon.

ms411
October 20, 2014 08:56AM

Good thing you're not leading snorkel tours in FL.

[www.fishwatch.gov]

Join the discussion. Click the button below to Login or Register now!

Click here to login

• Blue Ocean Transport

Moving to the U.S. Virgin Islands?

Settlers Handbook
Only $17.95

The Settlers Handbook for the U.S. Virgin Islands is your guide to moving to St. Croix, St. Thomas, St. John and Water Island.

The current 18th Edition, released in January 2016, will help you explore your dream of island living. A solid reference book, it was first published in 1975. That's 40 years of helping people move to the islands. A must read. Order today.

Order Today

Advertise

Join VIMovingCenter.com Today!

Tell prospective and current residents about your business.

Learn More →

Sister Sites

VITraders

USVI Books & Souvenirs

VInow

USVI Vacation Guide

Living in de V.I.

USVI Relocation DVD

Proud Supporter

VI Olympic Team

For over 45 years, the Virgin Islands has celebrated the Olympic tradition by sending our athletes to compete.

Learn More →