Join discussions on moving to and living in the USVI, ask questions, share info & tips! (Vacationing? Visit Travel Message Board)

Advice from homeowners with a mortgage

TommySTX
January 15, 2015 11:27AM

Good Morning all,

My wife and I are looking to buy a house and wanted to hear from others on their experiences with different mortgage companies. Which one did you choose and why? How was the approval and closing process for you? How is the customer service? Any advice or experiences you can offer will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Re: Advice from homeowners with a mortgage

klpmtm
January 15, 2015 12:24PM

Ooooooooo! Interested in the responses to this as well!

stxrocks
January 15, 2015 01:47PM

Brice McLaughlin / First Liberty / 340-774-1101x24 / bricevi@gmail.com

Have used him twice and have been very satisfied both times.

Good luck!

IslandHops
January 15, 2015 03:20PM

My advice to anyone contemplating purchasing property is to have an extraordinary amount of patience, and a bit of perseverance.

I've had two notes with Firstbank. First was for land, no problem, about 3mths to close. Second was for a house. After nearly 6 months, two days before closing, an easement issue cropped up that delayed things for another 6 months. Not strictly the banks issue at all. The mortgage processing folks were ok to work with.

Like I said - patience, patience, and more patience.

Donnasculpts
January 15, 2015 03:57PM

First Liberty for sure. We got an approval in under two weeks and rates are very competitive. We used Rick O'Bymachow, 340-774-1101. Great guy.

This was for a STT property.

COLDER
January 16, 2015 08:22AM

I went thru 1 First Bank and it was very painful and long
Even after we closed and signed everything, 2 months later they would send me revised documents because they had made a error on the originals
Then dealing with PR....If you do not speak Spanish it does not go well
Their customer service is zero.
Last October they sent me a notice that they did not have a copy of my renewed insurance... a copy was sent by the agent to them when I renewed
So I scanned and emailed a copy then asked for a acknowledgement that they had received the copy.....I asked 5 times + called and still no answer.
I would not use 1 First again

TommySTX
January 16, 2015 09:20AM

Thanks for all the advice. I have talked to Schaeffer and First Liberty so far. Want to talk to a couple others maybe before making a decision.

Beeski
January 16, 2015 12:23PM

I have used and recommend:

Michael E. Armendariz
Capital Mortgage Services
NMLS # 396821
340-773-8100 office
877-262-3273 TOLL FREE

SkysTheLimit
January 16, 2015 03:14PM

I second Michael Armadariz. Our house was incomplete when we bought it and other lenders said no. Capital Mortgage is based out of Lubbock Texas. They were great getting the mortgage and doing a recent refi..

rmb2830
January 16, 2015 03:41PM

Nathan Steiner at flagstar bank. 313-570-3121. He accommodated our requests, let us select the attorney to represent the bank, and the title company (don't know if there are still several handling stx though), and was flexible on the paperwork requirements, satisfied with whatever the title company would accept. Called several years later and asked us if we wanted to refi when the new programs came out and we could drop our rate, and there was minimal documentation for us to provide at that point. Was an investment property, and they can often be a difficult thing to finance, but not with him.

RevFD
January 16, 2015 10:59PM

+1 for Rich O'Bymachow at First Liberty, as stated above great guy and very professional.
-1 for Michael Armadariz - I ordered an appraisal through him for a property we were buying, he turned the appraisal over to the sellers without asking me for permission and BEFORE I had a chance to see it. Unethical!

vicanuck
January 20, 2015 10:11AM

Stay away from ScotiaBank. They really suck.

Join the discussion. Click the button below to Login or Register now!

Click here to login

• Blue Ocean Transport

Moving to the U.S. Virgin Islands?

Settlers Handbook
Only $17.95

The Settlers Handbook for the U.S. Virgin Islands is your guide to moving to St. Croix, St. Thomas, St. John and Water Island.

The current 18th Edition, released in January 2016, will help you explore your dream of island living. A solid reference book, it was first published in 1975. That's 40 years of helping people move to the islands. A must read. Order today.

Order Today

Advertise

Join VIMovingCenter.com Today!

Tell prospective and current residents about your business.

Learn More →

Sister Sites

VITraders

USVI Books & Souvenirs

VInow

USVI Vacation Guide

Living in de V.I.

USVI Relocation DVD

Proud Supporter

VI Olympic Team

For over 45 years, the Virgin Islands has celebrated the Olympic tradition by sending our athletes to compete.

Learn More →