Join discussions on moving to and living in the USVI, ask questions, share info & tips! (Vacationing? Visit Travel Message Board)

Arrest Made in MA for Stabbing Tragedy in STT

ms411
May 05, 2015 04:27PM

Re: Arrest Made in MA for Stabbing Tragedy in STT

Alana33
May 05, 2015 06:14PM

How tragic.

speee1dy
May 05, 2015 06:15PM

glad he was arrested

fdr
May 06, 2015 06:50AM

I'm trying to understand something about this arrest compared with other cases. It seems like there are many times where a suspect in a murder case here disappears off island and is never arrested, unless he comes back (e.g., the Malfetti case).

So why was this guy arrested off island when others are not? Was it just that much easier to find him? Was it because the evidence in this case was clearer than others? Was it because he's not a local with family connections on island? Or am I again trying to make sense out of an island thing I will never understand?

OldTart
May 06, 2015 07:05AM

fdr
Was it just that much easier to find him? Was it because the evidence in this case was clearer than others?

Yes. All the evidence pointed to him as the only suspect.

ms411
May 06, 2015 07:26AM

The murder weapon was left at the scene, the Massachusetts authorities were notified, and they responded immediately. I think they found him at "home." The suspect also had an arrest record in MA, so they knew something about him.

Bassman
May 06, 2015 12:00PM

He was in court on a probation violation when he was arrested for the STT murders.

klpmtm
May 07, 2015 02:23AM

Bassman
He was in court on a probation violation when he was arrested for the STT murders.

LOL!I hadn't heard that part yet. Now that is a dumbass Masshole! What an idiot!

speee1dy
May 07, 2015 07:44AM

he is bi polar. i am just concerned that he is being tried here and not stateside

CruzanIron
May 07, 2015 09:04AM

He committed the crime here. He will be extradited and tried here.

speee1dy
May 07, 2015 09:23AM

obviously, but the track record for criminals being put away for any length of time here is not very good

OldTart
May 07, 2015 10:14AM

speee1dy
obviously, but the track record for criminals being put away for any length of time here is not very good

In 2014 a research study was published in the International Journal of Criminology and Sociology on the subject of US Territories Exclusion in Federal Sentencing Research (University of Tennessee-Chattanooga). You can certainly read the whole paper online but the findings don't support your assumption, viz:

" ... For instance, our OLS regression showed that in both territories and states, defendants who opted for trials received harsher sentences than defendants who pled guilty. However, the coefficients in the territories were considerably higher than the
coefficients in the states. This indicates that the effect of a “trial tax” (harsher punishment levied on defendants who chose to exercise their right to a trial) is stronger in the territories than in the states.

… our fourth discussion point, which addresses the finding that territorial defendants receive longer sentences than stateside defendants ...
"

speee1dy
May 07, 2015 12:21PM

do you have a link? i can not seem to find what you found.

OldTart
May 07, 2015 12:33PM

Enter, "US Territories Exclusion in Federal Sentencing Research" into your search engine (I use google) and it comes up, full PDF and abstract.

speee1dy
May 07, 2015 01:32PM

Join the discussion. Click the button below to Login or Register now!

Click here to login

• Blue Ocean Transport

Moving to the U.S. Virgin Islands?

Settlers Handbook
Only $17.95

The Settlers Handbook for the U.S. Virgin Islands is your guide to moving to St. Croix, St. Thomas, St. John and Water Island.

The current 18th Edition, released in January 2016, will help you explore your dream of island living. A solid reference book, it was first published in 1975. That's 40 years of helping people move to the islands. A must read. Order today.

Order Today

Advertise

Join VIMovingCenter.com Today!

Tell prospective and current residents about your business.

Learn More →

Sister Sites

VITraders

USVI Books & Souvenirs

VInow

USVI Vacation Guide

Living in de V.I.

USVI Relocation DVD

Proud Supporter

VI Olympic Team

For over 45 years, the Virgin Islands has celebrated the Olympic tradition by sending our athletes to compete.

Learn More →