Join discussions on moving to and living in the USVI, ask questions, share info & tips! (Vacationing? Visit Travel Message Board)

Re: Bet You Haven't Heard This One Yet...

AandA2VI
August 13, 2015 09:17PM

I installed from home depot for $99 a camera system in my house. It uses the wifi which is on battery backups and I can see what's going on inside from my iPhone. The BEST part is that I can talk through it! Tell dem to GTFO of my house and the fuz is coming! Kinda fun to check in on the cats and the man once in a while too lol. He can also see how lazy I am working from the couch ;-P

quirion
August 14, 2015 08:48AM

AandA2VI
I installed from home depot for $99 a camera system in my house. It uses the wifi which is on battery backups and I can see what's going on inside from my iPhone. The BEST part is that I can talk through it! Tell dem to GTFO of my house and the fuz is coming! Kinda fun to check in on the cats and the man once in a while too lol. He can also see how lazy I am working from the couch ;-P

Got a link to which one you bought?

Thanks

AandA2VI
August 14, 2015 11:42PM

Looks like it's outdated. I bought it in STT when I moved. It's the older version of this one but home depot and OfficeMax both have similar and cheap ones.

[www.amazon.com]

xenna
August 16, 2015 03:49PM

AandA2VI

Do you have to pay a subscription price or anything to be able to view your footage from your cameras on your phone? Can you also view it on a laptop? I am a little behind the times on security cameras. Does the "viewing software" come with the cameras, particular to the brand or can you use generic programs?

AandA2VI
August 16, 2015 04:19PM

Nope - just downloaded an app for your phone. It was plug and play - did require initial set up to the router (choice). I never tried on my macbook so don't know about that. iPad and iPhone yes. I used the term WAS as it died last night. I got wet from a bit of rain - too close to the window. FRIED. lmfao.

SO my fiancé is bringing home the round baby monitor like one from OfficeMax. It does all that mine did plus has good night vision. I will report back. It was $129. I believe its this one but I don't have it in hand until later.

This one is totally remote so look promising. As in doesn't have to be connected to the mode by cable which my old one did. So you can have it across the room from the router. I will say that a lot of these boast a far reach BUT not here with our concrete walls... without a range booster anyways.

stxrocks
August 17, 2015 10:26AM

If you're looking for a free (single camera) program that will record the video when it detects motion, check out a program called Sighthound Video. (Used to be called Vitamin D) You can set up hours when you want the camera to record and even which area of the video capture area should trigger alarms. Sighthound will also e-mail you based on whatever criteria you set up. Price is right. YMMV.

Join the discussion. Click the button below to Login or Register now!

Click here to login

• Blue Ocean Transport

Moving to the U.S. Virgin Islands?

Settlers Handbook
Only $17.95

The Settlers Handbook for the U.S. Virgin Islands is your guide to moving to St. Croix, St. Thomas, St. John and Water Island.

The current 18th Edition, released in January 2016, will help you explore your dream of island living. A solid reference book, it was first published in 1975. That's 40 years of helping people move to the islands. A must read. Order today.

Order Today

Advertise

Join VIMovingCenter.com Today!

Tell prospective and current residents about your business.

Learn More →

Sister Sites

VITraders

USVI Books & Souvenirs

VInow

USVI Vacation Guide

Living in de V.I.

USVI Relocation DVD

Proud Supporter

VI Olympic Team

For over 45 years, the Virgin Islands has celebrated the Olympic tradition by sending our athletes to compete.

Learn More →