Join discussions on moving to and living in the USVI, ask questions, share info & tips! (Vacationing? Visit Travel Message Board)

Question for STT peeps

stxsailor
September 16, 2015 03:19PM

Good day all,

Need help here, I'm in STX and I love it here been here 4 years, I love the life in the laid back lane, open spaces and just the lifestyle. Got a possibility on as job transfer to STT, double the money but don't know. I've done stints of work over there for a few week at a time. But I'm confused.

Re: Question for STT peeps

STXBob
September 16, 2015 03:31PM

What's the question?

stxsailor
September 16, 2015 04:20PM

True, Guess I didn't go there. For those of you that have lived in both. Pros vs cons. I know I'm painting with a broad brush here.

Alana33
September 16, 2015 04:23PM

Guess it depends where you're working and lifestyle you want.
If it's double the money you're being paid now, you might want to buckle up and suffer the "trails and tribulations" of living in STT as those from STX seems to believe.

Rentals are more expensive here than there but I'm sure you can find nice accommodations in your budget.

Northside is nice and quiet and laid back. Just depends where you work for the commute.

Be a bit more specific in your question.

If you enjoy sailing there's lots of nearby islands here and BVI for day sails or weekends away.
You can take your car on barge over to STJ for the day to explore.
Great beaches, lots of bars and restaurants, open Mic nights and live music at many places if that's what you like. There are various events thru out the year and Richold Center has great acts coming in during the year. Tillets and Pistarckle Theather often has events during the year. There are art shows at various galleries.

There's lots to do, if you wish or nothing, if that's what you wish.

AandA2 might be able to give you perspective as they just moved to STX a couple months ago. I believe A was having STT withdrawal symptoms.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/16/2015 04:26PM by Alana33.

susan56
September 16, 2015 10:19PM

Lived on STX for a year 4 years ago.

In all honesty I think we may have liked STT better as there is more to do.

AandA2VI
September 19, 2015 11:55AM

stxsailor
True, Guess I didn't go there. For those of you that have lived in both. Pros vs cons. I know I'm painting with a broad brush here.

If you like the laid back lifestyle and the open lanes here - u will not like STT.

That said I want to go home!! Lmao. Miss STT so bad it's palpable.

stxsailor
September 21, 2015 09:27AM

i think my decision was made for me. Yearly dockage at the 3 marinas I called in STT was 22K for my boat. Ouch!

speee1dy
September 21, 2015 11:39AM

Alana33
September 21, 2015 11:58AM

Did you check all of them?
Sapphire, Compass Point, Independent Boat Yard, Saga Haven, American Yacht Harbor, Crown Bay Marina? There are also dock spaces in French town.
I'm sure prices at Yacht Haven Grande would be out of siight, $$$$.

Alana33
September 21, 2015 12:33PM

There are a couple smaller ones in and around Benner Bay Lagoon.

stxsailor
September 21, 2015 01:33PM

I checked Crown Bay, Compass Point and American Yacht Harbor. They all came ion the same roughly. I gave up after that.

Exit Zero
September 21, 2015 02:00PM

$22K--- yr. = $1833 mo.
Even at $20 a ft. / mo that is over a 90' vessel - I am not surprised it costs that much to park a yacht that size in any marina.

stxsailor
September 21, 2015 04:51PM

1.74 a foot x 35 ft is $60.90 a day x 365=$22,285

Alana33
September 21, 2015 05:28PM

You could always anchor out.
Many suitable locations.

Exit Zero
September 21, 2015 06:51PM

On this recent thread:

[www.traveltalkonline.com]

both Compass Point and Independent Boatyard are quoted by dock residents at $16 a ft/mo.

Maybe your $1.74 ft quote is if you pay by the day?? Is it a trimaran or wide catamaran?

I do know the 35'Pearson that I often sail is in Independent Docks for about $600 mo. and has been docked there for years and that The vessel mentioned by Rick G in the thread on TTOL is about a 40' Beneteau.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/21/2015 06:54PM by Exit Zero.

stxsailor
September 22, 2015 08:23AM

small 35 ft monohull.Need to check out independent boat yard.

Alana33
September 22, 2015 09:01AM

Depends on your draft.
There's another Marina that was rebuilding their docks on east end but they ran into some issues and don't know if they ever finished. I don't often get out to east end. Sorry, can't remember the name but after Independent Boat Yard and before Saga Haven. There are a couple places with docks in Benner Bay.

Can't remember the charter company's name in Frenchtown but they have a couple liveaboards on their docks.

Might be worth your while to fly over and check them out.

Islander1012
September 25, 2015 01:47PM

I'm at compass and its $16 per foot per month. I think you got quoted transient prices.

Join the discussion. Click the button below to Login or Register now!

Click here to login

• Blue Ocean Transport

Moving to the U.S. Virgin Islands?

Settlers Handbook
Only $17.95

The Settlers Handbook for the U.S. Virgin Islands is your guide to moving to St. Croix, St. Thomas, St. John and Water Island.

The current 18th Edition, released in January 2016, will help you explore your dream of island living. A solid reference book, it was first published in 1975. That's 40 years of helping people move to the islands. A must read. Order today.

Order Today

Advertise

Join VIMovingCenter.com Today!

Tell prospective and current residents about your business.

Learn More →

Sister Sites

VITraders

USVI Books & Souvenirs

VInow

USVI Vacation Guide

Living in de V.I.

USVI Relocation DVD

Proud Supporter

VI Olympic Team

For over 45 years, the Virgin Islands has celebrated the Olympic tradition by sending our athletes to compete.

Learn More →