Join discussions on moving to and living in the USVI, ask questions, share info & tips! (Vacationing? Visit Travel Message Board)

New Foundation?

Angeline4
October 21, 2015 10:33AM

I will be moving to St. Croix in a couple months and I am in the process of trying to set up a charitable foundation to bring with me that can help the islands. I am curious as to what the ppl who are living in St. Croix would think would be the best way to help the island. What is the greatest needs? Personal or economical? I can do all the research I want but I think it is better to get ideas from the islanders themselves. They are there and know what is needed to help. Any ideas are welcome. Thank you!

Re: New Foundation?

speee1dy
October 21, 2015 11:05AM

ECONOMIC TO BE SURE. but there seems to be a huge breakdown in the "family" which of course leads to a million other problems

MistB'Haven
October 21, 2015 11:40AM

Recycling!

Angeline4
October 21, 2015 12:27PM

speee1dy
ECONOMIC TO BE SURE. but there seems to be a huge breakdown in the "family" which of course leads to a million other problems

Can you elaborate on "breakdown in the family"?

SkysTheLimit
October 21, 2015 01:23PM

This thread could get very interesting....thumbs up

OldTart
October 21, 2015 01:45PM

All our social outreach programs are making do barebones. Education/mentoring, assistance for the housebound elderly eking out a living on social security, help for the physically and/or mentally handicapped, assistance for children unable to be cared for by parents - that's just a mere few and there's a veritable slew of them including animal welfare programs.

Alana33
October 21, 2015 03:07PM

Our abandoned animals have shelters overflowing and are killed by the hundreds annually because these not enough space, funds, fosters or volunteers. There is not a single no kill shelter here in VI.

ms411
October 21, 2015 03:20PM

Angeline, are you familiar with any of our island foundations? You might want to take a look at Community Foundation VI and Peter and Patricia Gruber Foundation. I think International Capital and Management also has a respected foundation. You might get some ideas by seeing what they do and maybe identify a need they're not meeting.

OldTart
October 21, 2015 04:39PM

This list of USVI non profits and charities may be of interest:

[greatnonprofits.org]

vicanuck
October 21, 2015 06:00PM

There is also the St. Croix Foundation...

ms411
October 21, 2015 06:07PM

A foundation that can help people pay medical expenses is probably the greatest need in the community on all islands. The percentage of working people without health insurance is much higher here than in most states, and the hospitals are suffering because of it.

The posts on this site regarding health insurance are some of the most popular, and I'm not sure expat insurance is the answer.

Please consider.

OldTart
October 21, 2015 06:44PM

ms411
The posts on this site regarding health insurance are some of the most popular, and I'm not sure expat insurance is the answer.

An expatriate is one who lives outside his native country. US citizens who live here aren't expatriates.

ms411
October 21, 2015 07:04PM

Thanks, OT. I know that and you know that, but note the number of posts soliciting for biz on this site. I know a few Americans here who have expat insurance, but not sure if they've ever made a claim and had it paid.

Angeline4
October 26, 2015 01:53PM

Thank for the info. I am getting started on trying to locate grants for these issues.

ms411
October 26, 2015 02:40PM

The VI gets lots of grants - probably more than their fair share based on comments. I was under the impression you had funds to target needs. I think I'm a little disappointed.

Jamison
October 26, 2015 07:35PM

Alana33
Our abandoned animals have shelters overflowing and are killed by the hundreds annually because these not enough space, funds, fosters or volunteers. There is not a single no kill shelter here in VI.
https://www.gofundme.com/mamabearsfencefund

I'm working on it. smiling

Alana33
October 26, 2015 08:58PM

Good work Jamison. thumbs upexcited
Donated and shared.

Jamison
October 27, 2015 07:42AM

Alana33
Good work Jamison. thumbs upexcited
Donated and shared.

Thank you so much. smiling

Angeline4
October 29, 2015 01:18PM

That would be why I said "I am in the process of trying to set up a charitable foundation"! I have to know what I am working for before I can work on funding. I'm not a millionaire! Wish I was but life hasn't worked that way for me lol

Alana33
October 29, 2015 02:22PM

ms411
The VI gets lots of grants - probably more than their fair share based on comments. I was under the impression you had funds to target needs. I think I'm a little disappointed.

Don't look a gift horse in the mouth.
A little something is better than a lot of nothing.
Why be disappointed with someone willing to identify a need and help?

Join the discussion. Click the button below to Login or Register now!

Click here to login

• Blue Ocean Transport

Moving to the U.S. Virgin Islands?

Settlers Handbook
Only $17.95

The Settlers Handbook for the U.S. Virgin Islands is your guide to moving to St. Croix, St. Thomas, St. John and Water Island.

The current 18th Edition, released in January 2016, will help you explore your dream of island living. A solid reference book, it was first published in 1975. That's 40 years of helping people move to the islands. A must read. Order today.

Order Today

Advertise

Join VIMovingCenter.com Today!

Tell prospective and current residents about your business.

Learn More →

Sister Sites

VITraders

USVI Books & Souvenirs

VInow

USVI Vacation Guide

Living in de V.I.

USVI Relocation DVD

Proud Supporter

VI Olympic Team

For over 45 years, the Virgin Islands has celebrated the Olympic tradition by sending our athletes to compete.

Learn More →