Join discussions on moving to and living in the USVI, ask questions, share info & tips! (Vacationing? Visit Travel Message Board)

Re: Best single piece of advice for new resident moving from mainland?

OldTart
November 18, 2015 05:54PM

Interesting - didn't have to do that back in the day and the BMV website doesn't note that as a requirement (the website which seems to have temporarily disappeared!). But of course they were also supposed to be hooked up a year ago to the stateside tracking system to get that information when you apply ... I know, I know, I'm stupidly expecting logic and timeliness to to apply! Silly me. big grin

Spartygrad95
November 18, 2015 07:28PM

OldTart
Interesting - didn't have to do that back in the day and the BMV website doesn't note that as a requirement (the website which seems to have temporarily disappeared!). But of course they were also supposed to be hooked up a year ago to the stateside tracking system to get that information when you apply ... I know, I know, I'm stupidly expecting logic and timeliness to to apply! Silly me. big grin

Their website is always down. That's why I called to verify all I needed.

CruzanIron
November 18, 2015 11:40PM

Spartygrad95
OldTart

Their website is always down. That's why I called to verify all I needed.

They also removed the price sheets on STX from the lobby.

speee1dy
November 19, 2015 07:33AM

thanks for the answer. i just dont remember even providing a copy of a driving record at all when i got my local dl

East Ender
November 19, 2015 07:43AM

As to best piece of advice: "Keep your eyes and ears open and your mouth closed."

crazyinca
November 19, 2015 08:07AM

Do not stereotype the local people here, some of my best friends here would make my "old" friends in the states run and hide. As others have said learn to slow down, it's all good and it all works out, just takes longer.

STXBob
November 19, 2015 09:29AM

Some trivial advice: When guests are about to visit you from the states, they'll ask if you need anything from the states. If you say no (and you're a guy), they'll usually bring you a shirt in a random size and style. Now I tell them to bring me a bottle of (my favorite booze), but to buy it when they get here because it's a lot easier.

In other words, when visitors ask, tell them what gift you want.

fdr
November 19, 2015 01:06PM

crazyinca
Do not stereotype the local people here, some of my best friends here would make my "old" friends in the states run and hide.

Haaa! So true. When I host visitors, they are always amazed at the variety of people - all manner of colors, shapes, sizes, and appearance - that I exchange greetings with as we wander around the island.

quirion
November 19, 2015 01:08PM

In the process of swapping licenses and the web site info definitely required the certified driving record.

OldTart
November 19, 2015 01:25PM

quirion
In the process of swapping licenses and the web site info definitely required the certified driving record.

I suggest calling the BMV and asking them exactly what they need. They seem to arbitrarily change their minds about what's needed so best to get the info right from the source.

AandA2VI
November 26, 2015 04:24AM

Bring a lot of money and a car with clearance and GOOD suspension.

kakalee
November 28, 2015 04:24PM

Think about normal daily needs & if you you can't bring those things with you, ask now about where to get them here. I say this because normal places to get info (like the net or this forum) may not be as readily available here. For instance I might have asked "Where on STX do I get bicycle parts?" & it might not have taken 2 days to replace a broken spoke.

dougtamjj
November 28, 2015 06:55PM

Think of moving to the USVI as a wonderful adventure where nothing will be as you expect. Make friends with as many Crucians as you can. They are a wonderful warm friendly loving people. Accept that their culture and way of doing this is vastly different from what you are used to. The best advice I received upon relocation was, "don't bring your stateside standards here." Look at the stars at night. Take a night time walk when the moon is full, eat like the Crucians do and ask them how to prepare and shop for food. Play games by candle light when the power is out. A spray bottle full of rubbing alcohol sprayed on your body every 15 minutes will deter mosquitoes. It also works if you spray your closets, shoes, clothes and beds to keep mold away. Understand that you will get flat tires and your car will break down but someone will always stop and help you. The Caribbean Sea is second to none. Try and find some time to just go into the sea and float. Be respectful.

I know. Just one single piece of advice. Enjoy the adventure!

DanielB_STX
November 29, 2015 10:25AM

Well written Tam...........Daniel

Join the discussion. Click the button below to Login or Register now!

Click here to login

• Blue Ocean Transport

Moving to the U.S. Virgin Islands?

Settlers Handbook
Only $17.95

The Settlers Handbook for the U.S. Virgin Islands is your guide to moving to St. Croix, St. Thomas, St. John and Water Island.

The current 18th Edition, released in January 2016, will help you explore your dream of island living. A solid reference book, it was first published in 1975. That's 40 years of helping people move to the islands. A must read. Order today.

Order Today

Advertise

Join VIMovingCenter.com Today!

Tell prospective and current residents about your business.

Learn More →

Sister Sites

VITraders

USVI Books & Souvenirs

VInow

USVI Vacation Guide

Living in de V.I.

USVI Relocation DVD

Proud Supporter

VI Olympic Team

For over 45 years, the Virgin Islands has celebrated the Olympic tradition by sending our athletes to compete.

Learn More →