Join discussions on moving to and living in the USVI, ask questions, share info & tips! (Vacationing? Visit Travel Message Board)

Car insurance

elroddanielle
March 05, 2016 12:54PM

Any suggestions on getting car insurance on STX?

Re: Car insurance

butchCondor
March 05, 2016 01:24PM

elroddanielle;

I'm in the same boat, but I'm going to STT. I'm moving there in May and I'm shipping my car. I found a affordable service that will not only clear my car through Customs, but have my car waiting for me at the airport when I arrive. You can't beat that!

It is my understanding that before a car can leave the port, it must be insured. The guy who is handling that for is taking care of that. At least I think he is, I'll email him and ask how that works and get back to you.

You might want to find someone on STX who will provide the same service for you. This blog is amazing for getting help, I'm sure if you asked for someone to help you clear your car on STX, someone will know how to help you.

Butch

elroddanielle
March 05, 2016 01:26PM

Thanks so much Butch. I'm purchasing a car here on the island. I just didn't know if there was a preferred company or what the instructions and outs were. Cheers!

OldTart
March 05, 2016 03:09PM

I've used Theodore Tunick for years on STT and found them perfect to deal with. Their counterpart on STX is Marshal Sterling.

Arizona1
March 05, 2016 03:30PM

I was told that Masa also handles car insurance.

Alana33
March 06, 2016 09:08AM

Hadn't heard that one.
Thought they only did medical emergency evacs.

OldTart
March 06, 2016 09:36AM

There's a company called MASA which was formed in Malaysia which offers auto insurance renewal at a discount for members but although their logo looks similar to that of the MASA medical assistance program, I can't find any relationship between the two.

Arizona1
March 06, 2016 10:13PM

I was told by someone named Brent Mays at Masa that they can give you an auto insurance quote. Call the office at 340-773-7979

rmb2830
March 07, 2016 08:34AM

Brent Mays has an insurance agency in Gallows Bay, called Annaly Insurance, and he apparently manages MASA as well. His agency handles various types of insurance in addition to MASA.

Arizona1
March 07, 2016 11:53AM

rmb2830
Brent Mays has an insurance agency in Gallows Bay, called Annaly Insurance, and he apparently manages MASA as well. His agency handles various types of insurance in addition to MASA.

Yes, he told me also handles life and homeowners insurance as well as MASA.

OldTart
March 07, 2016 12:02PM

Arizona1
rmb2830

Yes, he told me also handles life and homeowners insurance as well as MASA.

It's just not auto insurance offered by MASA. There are plenty of brokers out there and you can always get a quote from a few and compare.

stxsailor
March 07, 2016 01:14PM

If you have the ability USAA does auto insurance in the VI

Join the discussion. Click the button below to Login or Register now!

Click here to login

• Blue Ocean Transport

Moving to the U.S. Virgin Islands?

Settlers Handbook
Only $17.95

The Settlers Handbook for the U.S. Virgin Islands is your guide to moving to St. Croix, St. Thomas, St. John and Water Island.

The current 18th Edition, released in January 2016, will help you explore your dream of island living. A solid reference book, it was first published in 1975. That's 40 years of helping people move to the islands. A must read. Order today.

Order Today

Advertise

Join VIMovingCenter.com Today!

Tell prospective and current residents about your business.

Learn More →

Sister Sites

VITraders

USVI Books & Souvenirs

VInow

USVI Vacation Guide

Living in de V.I.

USVI Relocation DVD

Proud Supporter

VI Olympic Team

For over 45 years, the Virgin Islands has celebrated the Olympic tradition by sending our athletes to compete.

Learn More →