Join discussions on moving to and living in the USVI, ask questions, share info & tips! (Vacationing? Visit Travel Message Board)

Areas to avoid?

elroddanielle
March 16, 2016 01:05PM

Hello all! I'm new to the island and want to drive around and explore all St. Croix has to offer. What areas should I avoid for safety purposes? Thanks!

Re: Areas to avoid?

speee1dy
March 16, 2016 02:06PM

i dont know of any that are worse than others. just take normal precautions

terry
March 16, 2016 04:50PM

During the day all areas are okay.I don't stay out late at night.In C-sted I try to park within a couple of blocks of the main area.

NJoy
March 16, 2016 09:58PM

I am in the process of re-locating to St Thomas. So, I don't have a specific recommendation I can offer, but would caution to exercise "Standard Precautions" as you would in any new place.

Read local police reports for prior incidents on the Island so you can gauge what areas are most problematic and when. Hopefully you can easily find them online but if not visit the local Police Station. I understand your question. I have started following the local newspapers there and they report on local crime so you may gain valuable information there too.

From what I understand STX is a small Island so things can't be that bad. If you have newly re-located to STX, a buddy system for companionship while you are out and about will help.

Best practice is to get a handle of what is really going on there, then just enjoy the Island Paradise, and all it has to offer.

Have an enjoyable week ahead in STX!

OldTart
March 17, 2016 06:18AM

NJoy
1. ... Hopefully you can easily find them online but if not visit the local Police Station.

2. From what I understand STX is a small Island so things can't be that bad ... !

1. Mayberry isn't in the equation here and it's highly unlikely that any officer at any of our precincts is either willing or able to sit down and explain local crime statistics.

2. STX is the largest island of the four.

NJoy
March 17, 2016 11:59PM

staylor0977
March 18, 2016 10:15AM

What are the local papers? How would you "follow" them!

caribstx
March 18, 2016 10:32AM

The Avis on STX or the Virgin Islands Daily News.

OldTart
March 18, 2016 10:40AM

staylor0977
What are the local papers? How would you "follow" them!

The Source and the VI Consortium are both free online newspapers. The hard copy VI Daily News is also available online for a subscription fee. The Avis is only available in hard copy.

watruw8ing4
March 18, 2016 11:12AM

OldTart
NJoy
1. ... Hopefully you can easily find them online but if not visit the local Police Station.

2. From what I understand STX is a small Island so things can't be that bad ... !

1. Mayberry isn't in the equation here and it's highly unlikely that any officer at any of our precincts is either willing or able to sit down and explain local crime statistics.

2. STX is the largest island of the four.

thumbs up
No, things aren't bad at all. Only, what? Three shooting incidents in the last week? Haven't checked yesterday's news yet.

I've visited the local police station. They were very friendly (yet provided no actual response to a real criminal report, except to fill the form out), and they seemed a little too busy to sit down and explain the crime stats to me, so I didn't ask.

speee1dy
March 18, 2016 12:45PM

werent they the normal gang on gang attacks? not that an innocent cant get killed by those stray bullets. it is not often that non criminal activity will get you killed.

watruw8ing4
March 18, 2016 03:31PM

I agree, it's mostly gangs and domestic assaults, speee1dy. "Mostly" being the key word. Was simply pointing out that it's not all peaches and cream here, and crossfire happens, as do breakins, muggings, grand larceny, and plenty of petty theft.

East Ender
March 18, 2016 05:28PM

OldTart
The Source and the VI Consortium are both free online newspapers.

I would not call the VI Consortium a newspaper. It is more like a personal blog.

The better choice is: [visource.com]

OldTart
March 18, 2016 05:52PM

East Ender
OldTart

I would not call the VI Consortium a newspaper. It is more like a personal blog.

I noted the Source first. I certainly have issues with some of the Consortium's "reporting" but it's nonetheless an easily accessible news source and offers a sometimes alternative perspective for better or worse.

Treeman
March 18, 2016 08:59PM

OldTart
East Ender
OldTart

I noted the Source first. I certainly have issues with some of the Consortium's "reporting" but it's nonetheless an easily accessible news source and offers a sometimes alternative perspective for better or worse.

Still waiting for part 2 of their series on the gas stations and price fixing of fuel

OldTart
March 19, 2016 07:51AM

Treeman

Still waiting for part 2 of their series on the gas stations and price fixing of fuel

Although this is diverging from the topic, the anti-Arab position of that article really appalled me.

speee1dy
March 19, 2016 10:35AM

cruzaniron. True.

Join the discussion. Click the button below to Login or Register now!

Click here to login

• Blue Ocean Transport

Moving to the U.S. Virgin Islands?

Settlers Handbook
Only $17.95

The Settlers Handbook for the U.S. Virgin Islands is your guide to moving to St. Croix, St. Thomas, St. John and Water Island.

The current 18th Edition, released in January 2016, will help you explore your dream of island living. A solid reference book, it was first published in 1975. That's 40 years of helping people move to the islands. A must read. Order today.

Order Today

Advertise

Join VIMovingCenter.com Today!

Tell prospective and current residents about your business.

Learn More →

Sister Sites

VITraders

USVI Books & Souvenirs

VInow

USVI Vacation Guide

Living in de V.I.

USVI Relocation DVD

Proud Supporter

VI Olympic Team

For over 45 years, the Virgin Islands has celebrated the Olympic tradition by sending our athletes to compete.

Learn More →