Join discussions on moving to and living in the USVI, ask questions, share info & tips! (Vacationing? Visit Travel Message Board)

Moving Stories

staylor0977
March 18, 2016 08:49AM

Good Morning,

We are looking at our forever home to be in the islands... we are in our late 30's by the time we arrive we will be in our early 40's with adult children. (leaning towards STX).

I noticed most of the moving stories are from 2003-2005. I am curious how things have changed in the last 10+ years? And the last 10 or so stories were very discouraging...

Is St. Croix really that dirty?

Do the employers really not offer typical "full benefits"?

Is it really that hard for an educated person to find a grown up job?

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 03/18/2016 09:02AM by staylor0977.

Re: Moving Stories

OldTart
March 18, 2016 08:59AM

The moving stories are timeless. Everybody who moves here has an opinion and those opinions are very diverse. As always, the attrition rate of newcomers is huge as many come with way too many expectations of what life is like here and thus are wildly disappointed when the reality sets in. I never wrote a moving story but moved here 32 years ago and, as is the same for many of my friends, it's worked out to be "home" for me.

mtdoramike
March 18, 2016 11:56AM

Well before you go all head over heels about moving to the Islands and making it your forever home, don't you think you need to visit for awhile first? Living on an Island no matter how TV glamorizes it is still a tough nut. Most who come to the Islands with that home for life mentality last between two to five years. So I hope you come down and check out each Island for a while before you sell everything and make the move of your life.

The problem I see is people come to the Islands with the idea it's like living in the states and when they realize it's not, they try to make it that way and finally realize they can't. I'm not saying you won't be happy here, just take it slow and enjoy the ride.

mike

OldTart
March 18, 2016 12:07PM

mtdoramike
Well before you go all head over heels about moving to the Islands and making it your forever home, don't you think you need to visit for awhile first?

I wouldn't jump to such an assumption. The poster is contemplating a move in a few year's time and is simply looking for a couple of simple answers to simple questions.

staylor0977
March 18, 2016 04:20PM

Mike,

Thanks for the concern. We are planning several trips to visit each island. However, visiting isn't the same experience as living there. So I am looking to you all to learn from your experiences.

Hope you enjoy your weekend - here is PA they are call from 2-6 inches of snow!!! UGH

OldTart
March 18, 2016 04:50PM

staylor0977
So I am looking to you all to learn from your experiences.

If you just continue to read the forum you'll learn a fair bit. The subscriber base here isn't huge and several people who give advice don't live here. Your visits will give you a broader sense of what living here is like as long as you treat the visits as less of a vacation and more fact-finding missions (those mundane things like shopping, banking, etc.)! You can subscribe to the Virgin Islands Daily News online and can read the online Source newspaper and the VI Consortium free of charge. Have fun preparing and researching!

AandA2VI
March 19, 2016 02:51AM

OT - I am curious... Why did YOU move to the VI?

I did my moving story a year in. I'll try to find it - it never was posted in the moving stories nor have the dozen I've read since I moved here. Not sure why. Too bad really. That info is pretty outdated.

I agree the attrition rate is crazy. Sad really. A lot - more than half the friends I've made have moved off island already. To be honest your first year you'll be in honeymoon phase and everything will be amazing (or you'll hate it 3 months in and leave) 2 years in stuff starts bothering you. 3 years in you start to accept how things are. At least that's my opinion. It's funny how that works, kind of an ebb and flow.

I do agree - island life is NOT easy but can't beat the views.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 03/19/2016 03:01AM by AandA2VI.

OldTart
March 19, 2016 07:41AM

AandA2VI
OT - I am curious... Why did YOU move to the VI?/quote]

I'd been living in Connecticut for 17 years and friends moved here. I was mulling a life change, they thought I would love it here so, while visiting friends in Florida, I took a side trip to St Thomas to take a look. In the 4 days I was here I was offered a job and 3 months later I was here with dog and cat in tow. That's the short version.

Afriend
March 19, 2016 12:17PM

When relocating as a couple one thing to consider is that many times you find out one person likes island living and the partner ends up hating it. If that happens you need a workable plan for dealing with issue.h

Daval
March 19, 2016 02:27PM

We spent most of the summer last summer there and loved it. We looked a little at properties and got nervous and didn't make the jump. We are looking again and have a little more confidence and hope to find something we like by the end of the summer. I agree, an extended trip will give you a better idea than a week.

watruw8ing4
March 19, 2016 03:21PM

I never did a moving story because we spent several years in snowbird mode before making it permanent. (We're from PA, too, and you have my sympathies for the spring storm).

Things on STX changed considerably after Hovensa refinery shut down, but we're slowly coming back.

And yes, STX's favorite island pastime is dumping trash, tires, furniture, and appliances wherever they can. Roadsides, beaches, in C'sted and F'sted streets, you name it. But we're fighting back and trying to change the habit. It's a long term struggle, but it's much cleaner than it was when we bought here 9 years ago, thanks to hard working volunteers and some cooperation and assistance from VIMWA and local businesses.

As other posters said, visiting here and doing the every day mundane things will help. And reading this forum was, and still is, invaluable to us.

AandA2VI
March 19, 2016 04:51PM

Afriend
When relocating as a couple one thing to consider is that many times you find out one person likes island living and the partner ends up hating it. If that happens you need a workable plan for dealing with issue.h

So true! I have two sets of friends - one in STJ that is the case and one that moved from STT to FL. Even I am having that struggle - hunny likes STX I like STT. Tough for sure.

rosesisland
March 20, 2016 09:15AM

My advice having first moved here in '95, is don't buy! If your kids are grown, but, have as yet to make you grandparents, the pull of when that happens can be so overwhelming that you are stuck owning a home should you give in and feel the need to return to the states to be a part of their lives.
For us it worked out as I had to return to take care of my elderly parents with Alzheimer's and dementia. While doing that we were able to be near most of our 7 grands throughout their baby years through some in high school. They come see us now!

We moved back 4 years ago and have never looked once into moving back. It does help that we aren't dependent on jobs here to live here.

Come with no expectations and be surprised when something good happens. And, yes, my views are fabulous!

OldTart
March 20, 2016 10:07AM

rosesisland
My advice having first moved here in '95, is don't buy!

The number of people I've come across over the years who didn't heed that oft-repeated advice and bought property as soon as they arrived is large and replete with harried tales of woe when island living simply doesn't work out for them. Most property does NOT sell quickly here. Rent for a few years until you've had a chance to see if island living suits.

Join the discussion. Click the button below to Login or Register now!

Click here to login

• Blue Ocean Transport

Moving to the U.S. Virgin Islands?

Settlers Handbook
Only $17.95

The Settlers Handbook for the U.S. Virgin Islands is your guide to moving to St. Croix, St. Thomas, St. John and Water Island.

The current 18th Edition, released in January 2016, will help you explore your dream of island living. A solid reference book, it was first published in 1975. That's 40 years of helping people move to the islands. A must read. Order today.

Order Today

Advertise

Join VIMovingCenter.com Today!

Tell prospective and current residents about your business.

Learn More →

Sister Sites

VITraders

USVI Books & Souvenirs

VInow

USVI Vacation Guide

Living in de V.I.

USVI Relocation DVD

Proud Supporter

VI Olympic Team

For over 45 years, the Virgin Islands has celebrated the Olympic tradition by sending our athletes to compete.

Learn More →