Join discussions on moving to and living in the USVI, ask questions, share info & tips! (Vacationing? Visit Travel Message Board)

Rain

SkysTheLimit
May 01, 2016 12:27PM

Yesterdays rain storm packed a punch!
It came from the west but blew into the house from the north. Very squirrely weather.

More rain today...

Re: Rain

watruw8ing4
May 01, 2016 01:10PM

And that's the reason I had puddles on a chest of drawers from a window I only close for hurricanes and tropical storms.

Alana33
May 01, 2016 01:12PM

It was a soggy carnival for parade goers and participants but we didn't get severe downpours and thunderstorms that STX did. Nice cool weather, tho! Hopefully, we will avoid last year's drought.

Flooding on St. Croix; Motorists Urged to Proceed with Caution
[stcroixsource.com]

watruw8ing4
May 01, 2016 01:27PM

Last of the triathlon bikers went though here a little over an hour ago at the 50 mile mark. It just started pouring again now. So there is that.

SkysTheLimit
May 01, 2016 02:37PM

We had water yesterday in places we've never had water. Including Hurricane Omar and several tropical storms. The winds at one point were comparable of a serious storm.

Pool and cisterns are happy.

speee1dy
May 01, 2016 05:44PM

Was a great storm. Loved it

specialk
May 01, 2016 08:52PM

Our rain gauge (east end STX) collected 1.55" yesterday. For reporting purposes our rain day is 7:00 AM to 7:00 AM. As of 7:00 this morning it's collected a little over 1". Everything is green. Nice!

Dante
May 01, 2016 09:23PM

specialk
Our rain gauge (east end STX) collected 1.55" yesterday. For reporting purposes our rain day is 7:00 AM to 7:00 AM. As of 7:00 this morning it's collected a little over 1". Everything is green. Nice!

thumbs uphappythumbs uphappy

islandjoan
May 01, 2016 11:24PM

It was a most excellent two days of much-needed rain on STX!! As sky's the limit noted, it was very unusual the weird directions it took. We got caught in it out at Isaac bay and I did see it on the radar in the morning coming from the southwest, but it looked like it would miss the east end. Well I sure was wrong about that! I am very thankful that we did not get hit by the lightning which was very close by at the time we were out there!

Alana33
May 02, 2016 07:15AM

Guess it's our turn this morning in STT.
Coming down hard and heavy as of 7 AM.
I'm grateful for the rain but glad not to have to be out, driving in it.

specialk
May 02, 2016 07:22AM

A whopping 2.66" in the gauge this morning!

caribstx
May 02, 2016 08:20AM

I estimated that our cistern collected 4 truckloads of water at about $350 each...that's about $1400 worth of free rain!

SkysTheLimit
May 02, 2016 09:57AM

caribstx
I estimated that our cistern collected 4 truckloads of water at about $350 each...that's about $1400 worth of free rain!

That's a good way to look at it. thumbs up

stxsailor
May 02, 2016 02:15PM

3 inches at my house. What concerns me is the 3 hour power outage with this storm and a couple of days for some on STX. WAPA better get their crap together before the brunt of hurricane season (sorry i tried not to laugh while typing)

OldTart
May 02, 2016 03:33PM

stxsailor
3 inches at my house. What concerns me is the 3 hour power outage with this storm and a couple of days for some on STX. WAPA better get their crap together before the brunt of hurricane season (sorry i tried not to laugh while typing)

Trying not to laugh about anyone getting all of a tizzy over a 3 hour power outage and wondering from where you're getting "a couple of days for some on STX".

islandjoan
May 02, 2016 03:53PM

Uh, stxsailor LIVES ON ST CROIX so he probably has friends who have had power out for a couple of days.

And considering, OT, that you live on STT, you would have less knowledge of the STX power outages, than would someone who actually lives on STX.

smh for real

OldTart
stxsailor

Trying not to laugh about anyone getting all of a tizzy over a 3 hour power outage and wondering from where you're getting "a couple of days for some on STX".

stxsailor
May 02, 2016 04:06PM

No tizzy OT so lighten up, .3 hours is fine for me(its nice to have silence)and yes there is still power out in some places last night according to VITEMA, but OT what i was alluding to is that a small storm causing a 3 hour outage means a heap of problems for a real storm

OldTart
May 02, 2016 08:13PM

islandjoan
Uh, stxsailor LIVES ON ST CROIX so he probably has friends who have had power out for a couple of days.

And considering, OT, that you live on STT, you would have less knowledge of the STX power outages, than would someone who actually lives on STX.

smh for real)

Uh, right. It completely eluded me that stxsailor LIVES ON STX and naturally I have NO contacts on STX, living as I do so very far away from that island and with my albatross temporarily out of action with a minor aileron malfunction. smh fah true. big grin

Alana33
May 02, 2016 08:19PM

Sometimes your attitude leaves something to be desired.

OldTart
May 02, 2016 08:26PM

Alana33

If you were referring to mine then I could also opine that your apparent lack of a sense of humor and preponderance for negativity likewise tends to leave something to be desired.big grin

Alana33
May 02, 2016 08:28PM

Always gotta have the last smart aleck remark.

OldTart
May 02, 2016 08:33PM

Alana33
Always gotta have the last smart aleck remark.

Not at all. Simply responding to a caustic comment.

Alana33
May 02, 2016 08:34PM

Like yours aren't?
Pot calling kettle black.

islandjoan
May 02, 2016 10:15PM

Alana33

My thoughts exactly. Hey its blowing and raining real hard on STX now - maybe NO ONE that OT knows on STX will lose power!!

Alana33
May 02, 2016 10:21PM

5/2/16: STX – WAPA crews continue to make progress restoring service to pockets areas that are experiencing electrical service interruptions. Crews are assigned to Estates Work and Rest, St. George Hill, Paradise, Whim, Concordia, Mary's Fancy, Peter's Rest, Grove Place and the Sion Farm Commercial Center. All efforts are being made to achieve full service restoration as quickly and safely as possible.
[www.viwapa.vi]

STJ and STT were alerted that we might have those conditions at 7:45.
Obviously, there was a shift as nothing happening here.
Be careful driving.

At least we're avoiding last year's dire drought tho have seen an increase in mosquitoes.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/02/2016 10:27PM by Alana33.

Join the discussion. Click the button below to Login or Register now!

Click here to login

• Blue Ocean Transport

Moving to the U.S. Virgin Islands?

Settlers Handbook
Only $17.95

The Settlers Handbook for the U.S. Virgin Islands is your guide to moving to St. Croix, St. Thomas, St. John and Water Island.

The current 18th Edition, released in January 2016, will help you explore your dream of island living. A solid reference book, it was first published in 1975. That's 40 years of helping people move to the islands. A must read. Order today.

Order Today

Advertise

Join VIMovingCenter.com Today!

Tell prospective and current residents about your business.

Learn More →

Sister Sites

VITraders

USVI Books & Souvenirs

VInow

USVI Vacation Guide

Living in de V.I.

USVI Relocation DVD

Proud Supporter

VI Olympic Team

For over 45 years, the Virgin Islands has celebrated the Olympic tradition by sending our athletes to compete.

Learn More →