Join discussions on moving to and living in the USVI, ask questions, share info & tips! (Vacationing? Visit Travel Message Board)

Quick Q

afurtick22
May 03, 2016 04:14PM

I have yet to start calling the different companies for shipping my car over to STT but I wanted to ask everyone first what their experience has been with shipping a car. I will most likely drive to south FL to save a couple $100 as I have heard through this post that some of you have. I have a Volkswagon Jetta but will be looking to sell it and find something more island appropriate and cheaper to fix if something happens.

Who did you find to be the cheapest? Seems like most have spent $1500-$2000.

OR is anyone moving from the island that has a decent car that's looking to sell?? Yes I've been looking on craigslist and the classifieds here.

Thanks all!!

Re: Quick Q

STTsailor
May 03, 2016 04:22PM

Blue Ocean was lowest from JAX. That was last June. With El Faro gone things may have changed.

Donnasculpts
May 04, 2016 07:56AM

I just read where CaribTrans is shipping cars to STT from Miami for 1200 and SUVs for 1250. This is not including customs for non US made vehicles and the VI fees upon arrival.

afurtick22
May 04, 2016 09:53AM

Thanks! Donnasculpts, do you mean VI fees like registration and tags? Or they charge fees just for touching down on the island?

Alana33
May 04, 2016 01:40PM

Don't forget customs duty if car or any parts, thereof, are foreign made.
The VIN will give you that info.
You pay road tax, registration and license plate fees.
Make sureyou you have multiple original docs for your paperwork as it seems no one wants a copy.

CaptainMalibu
May 04, 2016 09:04PM

STTsailor
Blue Ocean was lowest from JAX. That was last June. With El Faro gone things may have changed.

We are shipping our Jeep Wrangler out of Jacksonville on the 20th at a cost of $1450 to STX. It's now a 10 day transit, before El Fargo it was a 6 day transit.

CaptainMalibu
May 04, 2016 09:08PM

Alana33
Don't forget customs duty if car or any parts, thereof, are foreign made.
The VIN will give you that info.
You pay road tax, registration and license plate fees.
Make sureyou you have multiple original docs for your paperwork as it seems no one wants a copy.

We are using an agent, Ferrol Trucking, to handle all of the registration process. My Jeep is scheduled to arrive on Monday (Memorial Day) and I have been told it will be ready by Friday, registered, tagged and detailed...ok, I'm kidding about the detailed part. We'll see how that goes.

Join the discussion. Click the button below to Login or Register now!

Click here to login

• Blue Ocean Transport

Moving to the U.S. Virgin Islands?

Settlers Handbook
Only $17.95

The Settlers Handbook for the U.S. Virgin Islands is your guide to moving to St. Croix, St. Thomas, St. John and Water Island.

The current 18th Edition, released in January 2016, will help you explore your dream of island living. A solid reference book, it was first published in 1975. That's 40 years of helping people move to the islands. A must read. Order today.

Order Today

Advertise

Join VIMovingCenter.com Today!

Tell prospective and current residents about your business.

Learn More →

Sister Sites

VITraders

USVI Books & Souvenirs

VInow

USVI Vacation Guide

Living in de V.I.

USVI Relocation DVD

Proud Supporter

VI Olympic Team

For over 45 years, the Virgin Islands has celebrated the Olympic tradition by sending our athletes to compete.

Learn More →