Join discussions on moving to and living in the USVI, ask questions, share info & tips! (Vacationing? Visit Travel Message Board)

Re: Medical marijuana debate

Bombi
June 28, 2016 06:31PM

Right on. STXdreamer. MJ wasn't a problem before Reefer Madness but became politicized and racist, thus prohibition. Basically William Randolf Hearst changed everything. We fund and rely on the DEA and the F&D A to keep us safe but Nixon changed all that and Lobbyists and Other parties of interest still are afraid ther profits will go up in smoke.
Senator Nelson's bill is flawed but I have to ask myself why he didn't just copy and paste a moderate Law like Maine or Michigan to get the door open.
Possession is already decriminalized so WTF?

[blog.norml.org]

optimist with low expectations on STX

mj gov manipulation

caribbecowboy
June 29, 2016 12:34AM

I have a friend who has been treated by the medical establishment in Arizona USA for chronic pain After being forced coerced into a urine test the pain doctors found traces of thc in her urine.She tried MJ as an alternative to opiates.She was told one more positive test for thc and she would be droped from the pain clinic.She was told it was a DEA mandate.Medical MJ is legal in Az.but just dont use it to relieve pain.Seems like the fed government wants her to stay on the more damaging drugs.Anyone see a problem here Big bother knows best.

Re: mj gov manipulation

STTsailor
June 29, 2016 10:30AM

^
30 000 people died of prescription opiates overdose in US in 2015. US population is consuming 90% of world supply of opiates.

Most of overdose deaths happened because of sedative-opiate-THC-alcohol interaction . You are correct that the Feds are tightening the screw of pain treatment. It is about time. As you may know some states legalized MJ but the Feds have not. So from fed point of view if you have THC in the urine sample you are abusing illegal substance.

sttanon
June 29, 2016 03:45PM

Bombi

Senator Nelson's bill is flawed but I have to ask myself why he didn't just copy and paste a moderate Law like Maine or Michigan to get the door open.

At one point the wording of the bill was a combination of Michigan and Colorado's medicinal laws. After the trip to WA and CO, Positive decided to rewrite the wording and added all this crap that will ensure the vote will go badly. It is very flawed and loopholed now.

TexaninStCroix
July 02, 2016 12:06PM

pla·ce·bo ef·fect
noun
a beneficial effect, produced by a placebo drug or treatment, that cannot be attributed to the properties of the placebo itself, and must therefore be due to the patient's belief in that treatment.

A couple of scenarios.

Ex: You get relief from something like pain or whatever when you smoke a puff or two of some good marijuana.

Ex: You've got someone of power that you don't know telling you we don't have enough studies that suggest that it helps. Outlaw it and criminalize it!

Ex: You have someone in power who votes to keep marijuana illegal This person then has it hit close to home (family member, friend, whatever) who the marijuana may help alleviate whatever pain or something this family member, friend, whatever has. What do you think this person of power will do?

What would you do if you were that person in power?

"The human brain starts working the moment you are born and never stops until you stand up to speak in public."
— George Jessel

fidodog
July 06, 2016 12:07AM

Right now I live in Colorado. I use it for my chronic bad mood. silly smiley

stxdreamer
July 06, 2016 05:50PM

fidodog
Right now I live in Colorado. I use it for my chronic bad mood. silly smiley

How's it working? cool

"St. Croix someday!"

Alana33
July 07, 2016 10:42AM

Here's an interesting article regarding Alzheimer's treatment conducted by Salk institute.

[www.alternet.org]

LiquidFluoride
July 07, 2016 02:18PM

Alana33
Here's an interesting article regarding Alzheimer's treatment conducted by Salk institute.

[www.alternet.org]

its starting to seem criminal that this plant is criminalized.

Oh and Alana... cross reference that article with the EXPLOSION in alzheimers we've had in the last couple of decades.

Nature provides?

CruzanIron
July 07, 2016 02:28PM

That graph is garbage. It only shows increase in cases, when the general population has increased probably by the same proportion.

AND how can they even give statistics back to the 1900's when there was no way to properly diagnose it back then.

LiquidFluoride
July 07, 2016 05:07PM

CruzanIron
garbage

I did say "look into" didn't I?

I just grabbed a random graph off google, the phenomenon is real.

here's another graph, a bit more limited in date range.

STTsailor
July 11, 2016 09:01PM

I still don't see what your point is. Cali has an image of pot smoking dating back to Vietnam war. So what?

STTsailor
July 11, 2016 09:04PM

We need OT imput with her sharp mind and time on her hands to sort it all out. Where are you hiding?

OldTart
July 12, 2016 06:34AM

My hands are very busy, but Is the debate subject still medical marijuana or an increase in reported cases of Alzheimer's?

If the latter, seems like a no-brainer. Before it was given a name it was plain old-age ga-ga, then it became more politically correct to call it "senile dementia", then it segued into Alzheimer's and the labeled diagnoses just soared. Just as before ADHD and the related labels became the popular norm, obnoxious tantrum-throwing kids were considered just that and dealt a few cuffs and groundings until they outgrew it. Overly simplistic, but most things are.

Spartygrad95
July 12, 2016 03:09PM

Strange how as life expectancy has risen cases of Alzheimer's have also risen, it's almost as if they are related?

Alana33
July 12, 2016 03:29PM

Sorry Sparty,
I'm sure it's all GMO related
(Tongue in cheek!wink)

LiquidFluoride
July 12, 2016 04:26PM

Spartygrad95
Strange how as life expectancy has risen cases of Alzheimer's have also risen, it's almost as if they are related?

Good thing there's a plant out there that helps slow/halt it wink

or are we not only going off topic but ignoring the point of the posts we are responding to? (I guess that would fit)

OldTart
July 12, 2016 05:33PM

Spartygrad95

Seems that diagnosed cases of Alzheimer's are expected to double every 20 years but I don't think life expectancy is projected to rise likewise.

Bombi
July 12, 2016 06:01PM

So there is evidence that cannabis may actually help with the symptoms or potentially delay Altzheimers Disease

[www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov]

Every avenue of delaying or treating Altzheimers should be investigated and tested . What good is a long life ?

optimist with low expectations on STX

Alana33
July 12, 2016 06:27PM

A long life my not be all it's cracked up to be if you're totally dependent on someone else's care and you're lost in your mind and unable to help yourself and be your own advocate

STTsailor
July 12, 2016 08:31PM

I agree w Alana. When either the body or brain gives up its time to wrap it up.

JohnnyU
July 12, 2016 10:10PM

STTsailor
I agree w Alana. When either the body or brain gives up its time to wrap it up.

+1

Time to pull the pin

Spartygrad95
July 14, 2016 04:28PM

I fully intend to live a productive life long into my 150s with my GMO enhanced body and mind

LiquidFluoride
July 14, 2016 10:47PM

Spartygrad95
I fully intend to live a productive life long into my 150s with my GMO enhanced body and mind

GMO?

Pshh.. it's all about GENE THERAPY baby!

Spartygrad95
July 15, 2016 01:59PM

LiquidFluoride
Spartygrad95

GMO?

Pshh.. it's all about GENE THERAPY baby!

Oh, I agree, I'll let them iron the kinks out a bit while fortifying myself on GMO crops

Join the discussion. Click the button below to Login or Register now!

Click here to login

• Blue Ocean Transport

Moving to the U.S. Virgin Islands?

Settlers Handbook
Only $17.95

The Settlers Handbook for the U.S. Virgin Islands is your guide to moving to St. Croix, St. Thomas, St. John and Water Island.

The current 18th Edition, released in January 2016, will help you explore your dream of island living. A solid reference book, it was first published in 1975. That's 40 years of helping people move to the islands. A must read. Order today.

Order Today

Advertise

Join VIMovingCenter.com Today!

Tell prospective and current residents about your business.

Learn More →

Sister Sites

VITraders

USVI Books & Souvenirs

VInow

USVI Vacation Guide

Living in de V.I.

USVI Relocation DVD

Proud Supporter

VI Olympic Team

For over 45 years, the Virgin Islands has celebrated the Olympic tradition by sending our athletes to compete.

Learn More →