Join discussions on moving to and living in the USVI, ask questions, share info & tips! (Vacationing? Visit Travel Message Board)

Re: Anyone know WHY there's no car wash on STX?

CruzanIron
September 27, 2016 08:58AM

SunnyCyn
By my super rough back of envelope calc, the biz would need to do 20 washes every day for 4 years just to break even on the startup costs, never mind water, supplies, inventory of upsells, staff, taxes, etc.

And the cost of replacing the quarter/CC machines every week when people destroy them trying to get the money out of them (like has happened on every STX machine).

speee1dy
September 27, 2016 09:02AM

People spend 50 on a hand wadh with detailing. So 25 bucks is doable

AandA2VI
September 27, 2016 01:46PM

I keep telling my fiancé I was to buy that wash over by sunny isles and put in a drive through easy like tutu has. Would make a killing!!!!

I pay $40 for my suv at the guys by pueblo. They do ok but I miss the $25 drive through.

SunnyCyn
September 28, 2016 01:32PM

CruzanIron
And the cost of replacing the quarter/CC machines every week when people destroy them trying to get the money out of them (like has happened on every STX machine).

Sounds like a security guard would be cheaper!

St X
October 01, 2016 05:19PM

There was a coin-op type place across (more or less) from Food Town. Its been closed for a couple of years now I think.
Might be a good place to start if anyone is interested.

Alana33
October 01, 2016 06:54PM

They have a few in STT that function very well.
Can't be that different to operate one in STX.

Juanita
October 02, 2016 08:00AM

Scubadoo
How much do they charge for the hand wash? I've never gone.

A friend of mine just went to the one at Five Corners (BTW, it's been there for a number of years ...not new at all.). She paid $35 and said her car looked like new inside and out when they finished.

Juanita

Matt T
October 03, 2016 08:31AM

I would never in a million years pay to have my car washed. I can wash a car in 15 minutes and vaccuum in another 15 minutes for free! And it will turn out better and I will be able to catch things like low tire pressure, a scratch I might not have known about, rust starting somewhere...

My jaw dropped when I saw people pay $40 to ge their car washed. BEst way for me to make it rain is to wash mine. I would be pissed if I paid $40 and then it rains and all that money is washed down the drain literally.

Complaining about no car washes = #firstworldproblems

Alana33
October 03, 2016 09:21AM

Splash n Dash in STT in Tutu Park Mall has a drive thru but guys will scrub it before it goes thru and dry after $12-$15-$20 depending what all you want done. They've got coin operated vacuums if you want to do it yourself or you can leave it to be detailed at a higher cost.

vicanuck
October 03, 2016 02:15PM

Matt T
My jaw dropped when I saw people pay $40 to get their car washed

Sure...I could wash my own car too. But the value of my time is much more than $40 for half an hour.

janeinstx
October 03, 2016 05:11PM

thumbs up

vicanuck

Sure...I could wash my own car too. But the value of my time is much more than $40 for half an hour.

SherriLynn
October 09, 2016 12:57AM

What does STX stand for?

stjohnjulie
October 09, 2016 05:40AM

STX = St. Croix STT = St. Thomas STJ = St. John

Scubadoo
October 09, 2016 09:44AM

SherriLynn
What does STX stand for?

STX and STT are the codes used by world wide flight control for the main airports Henry E Rohlsen and Cyril E King. Interestingly SJF is used for St John. What airport? I don't know, maybe it's a helipad.

SunnyCyn
October 09, 2016 08:47PM

Didn't intend to "complain", I was thinking of this as a potential business opportunity.

I don't think this qualifies as #firstworldproblems, but if you'd like, I can start a thread asking after where to obtain truffle salt and Chateuneuf du Pape on island...
big grin

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/09/2016 08:48PM by SunnyCyn.

Trixie_b
October 09, 2016 11:28PM

SunnyCyn
Didn't intend to "complain", I was thinking of this as a potential business opportunity.

I don't think this qualifies as #firstworldproblems, but if you'd like, I can start a thread asking after where to obtain truffle salt and Chateuneuf du Pape on island...
big grin

Chataeunerf delish.... Now that's a thread I'd be into wink

Scubadoo
October 09, 2016 11:59PM

SunnyCyn
Chateuneuf du Pape on island...
big grin

Seaside Market as a big selection or you might have to order it in from St. Martinhappy

CruzanIron
October 10, 2016 07:05AM

Scubadoo
SherriLynn
What does STX stand for?

STX and STT are the codes used by world wide flight control for the main airports Henry E Rohlsen and Cyril E King. Interestingly SJF is used for St John. What airport? I don't know, maybe it's a helipad.

I think Antilles used to fly to St. John.

Alana33
October 10, 2016 10:35AM

It did.
Had a small seaplane ramp in the creek, across from the administrator's building.

AandA2VI
October 10, 2016 09:38PM

Matt T
I would never in a million years pay to have my car washed. I can wash a car in 15 minutes and vaccuum in another 15 minutes for free! And it will turn out better and I will be able to catch things like low tire pressure, a scratch I might not have known about, rust starting somewhere...

My jaw dropped when I saw people pay $40 to ge their car washed. BEst way for me to make it rain is to wash mine. I would be pissed if I paid $40 and then it rains and all that money is washed down the drain literally.

Complaining about no car washes = #firstworldproblems

Do you live here? I would GLADLY pay $40 for my massive 8 seater jeep inside and out. It would take me an entire day and they only take about 2 hours. worth it for me as I charge $75-$100 an hour so I actually LOOSE money washing it myself wink

PS: Can anyone recommend a GOOD detail place to buff my oxidized hood? It may need to be repainted - its pretty bad - so thats my next question, anyone know of a good painter? I dont want any orange peel look, must be good and have a spray bay. smiling TIA.

PSS: I saw TWO new (maybe not new) washes today. That one gas station caddy Shuarma (sp) now has a flag that says carwash. Also on the way home past Kmart heading west - before the dumpster site looks like a coin op is working - there were people there working and a sign out.

Alana33
October 10, 2016 09:44PM

I know a guy in STT.

AandA2VI
October 10, 2016 09:49PM

HAHAHA Damn it! ;-)

Alana33
October 10, 2016 09:59PM

Actually, he doesn't have a bay. He's got a tent.
He's a shade tree mechanic but he's damned good and I'm fussy.
Plus, he's honest.

SunnyCyn
October 11, 2016 11:15AM

That's actually awesome to know, even though I was mostly kidding!

nohstx
October 12, 2016 03:52PM

West of Plaza West near Centerline Bakery there is a coin operated car wash on STX.

Join the discussion. Click the button below to Login or Register now!

Click here to login

• Blue Ocean Transport

Moving to the U.S. Virgin Islands?

Settlers Handbook
Only $17.95

The Settlers Handbook for the U.S. Virgin Islands is your guide to moving to St. Croix, St. Thomas, St. John and Water Island.

The current 18th Edition, released in January 2016, will help you explore your dream of island living. A solid reference book, it was first published in 1975. That's 40 years of helping people move to the islands. A must read. Order today.

Order Today

Advertise

Join VIMovingCenter.com Today!

Tell prospective and current residents about your business.

Learn More →

Sister Sites

VITraders

USVI Books & Souvenirs

VInow

USVI Vacation Guide

Living in de V.I.

USVI Relocation DVD

Proud Supporter

VI Olympic Team

For over 45 years, the Virgin Islands has celebrated the Olympic tradition by sending our athletes to compete.

Learn More →