Join discussions on moving to and living in the USVI, ask questions, share info & tips! (Vacationing? Visit Travel Message Board)

Drivers License

Ernie D
October 11, 2016 07:00PM

I have a Commercial Drivers License from the States. If I trade my license's in for a Virgin Islands one will I get all my endorsements of a class B. Commercial.

Re: Drivers License

speee1dy
October 12, 2016 07:52AM

here is the phone number
340-713-4268
8am-3pm

Alana33
October 12, 2016 07:54AM

Best to call Motor Vehicle Dept., directly.
340-774-4268 STT

Islander
November 21, 2016 04:03PM

Admin

Hi Ernie,

Was at DMV and remembered your question so asked about it. They gave me a flyer "Policy on Heavy Equipment Operators License (E)". I am not sure its the same as what you are asking about but that is what I was given. And here is what it says:

"In order for a driver to qualify for a Class E, Heavy Equipment License, that individual must meet or possess the following:
a. Be at least 18 years old
b. Have a favorable traffic record check
c. possess a heavy equipment license for at least one year
d. have at least 2 years driving experience
e. get a certified letter from the manager/president of the company the individual is employed with, stating the longevity of operating a heavy equipment vehicle
f. business license
g. for self employed individuals, the certified letter may be done by the operator"

The person that helped me added as a tip: if someone moving to the VI possesses a license from elsewhere with special classes that do not apply or exists in the Virgin Islands, then it would be best to consider keeping their existing license with all the special classes. And then start over in the VI by taking the driving test and getting a regular license. If a special class license is transferred in the VI and the classes don't exists then you will end up with a regular license with no indication of any special classes.

Thank you for using VIMovingCenter.com to help with your planning.

Join the discussion. Click the button below to Login or Register now!

Click here to login

• Blue Ocean Transport

Moving to the U.S. Virgin Islands?

Settlers Handbook
Only $17.95

The Settlers Handbook for the U.S. Virgin Islands is your guide to moving to St. Croix, St. Thomas, St. John and Water Island.

The current 18th Edition, released in January 2016, will help you explore your dream of island living. A solid reference book, it was first published in 1975. That's 40 years of helping people move to the islands. A must read. Order today.

Order Today

Advertise

Join VIMovingCenter.com Today!

Tell prospective and current residents about your business.

Learn More →

Sister Sites

VITraders

USVI Books & Souvenirs

VInow

USVI Vacation Guide

Living in de V.I.

USVI Relocation DVD

Proud Supporter

VI Olympic Team

For over 45 years, the Virgin Islands has celebrated the Olympic tradition by sending our athletes to compete.

Learn More →