Join discussions on moving to and living in the USVI, ask questions, share info & tips! (Vacationing? Visit Travel Message Board)

Re: VI violence What would you do to stop the killings?

STTsailor
December 18, 2016 06:56AM

sttanon
STTsailor

Almost all the shootings happen on the south side of STT around Downtown area. Not much happening on the north side or even Red Hook. If we had more proactive and present police force in these areas that could help. Unfortunately all policing here is reactive.

North Side Frenchies shoot back..... They also are well schooled in fish pots and the North Drop.........

This supports my argument that the community has to stand up for its rights.

sttanon
December 18, 2016 08:02AM

It is more than the community standing up for their rights. I am in favor of relaxing the laws so that citizens who are entitled to can possess a firearm. Evens out the playing field and makes someone think a little bit if they know there is a better than even chance that the other person is armed as well. The gun control policy here is a joke as the crooks are armed better than the police.

One of the things that I am sickest of hearing the most is the gov't saying that the public needs to come forward more to assist them, just like with the recient shooting. The mistrust that the community has of local law enforcement is not a new thing, this goes back generations aand for good reason. Having to send cadets to NY for bootcamp I have mixed emotions about. Somehing needs to break the pattern of corruption within the police force, but then again NY has a less than stellar record as well with police problems. The other probllem that I have with the government is that they in a way are just as bad as the street hoods. We have a member of Mapps' security detail moving coke through the airport. We have a senator that was caught on video breaking into and looting businesses after a storm and then trying to get the feds to pay for what was taken. Those in power that are robbing us blind feel that they are above the law because they are elected. What they are doing is sending a clear message to the public that breaking the law is o.k. as long as you dont get caught.

Ca. Dreamers
December 18, 2016 08:14AM

sttanon
It is more than the community standing up for their rights. I am in favor of relaxing the laws so that citizens who are entitled to can possess a firearm. Evens out the playing field and makes someone think a little bit if they know there is a better than even chance that the other person is armed as well. The gun control policy here is a joke as the crooks are armed better than the police.

One of the things that I am sickest of hearing the most is the gov't saying that the public needs to come forward more to assist them, just like with the recient shooting. The mistrust that the community has of local law enforcement is not a new thing, this goes back generations aand for good reason. Having to send cadets to NY for bootcamp I have mixed emotions about. Somehing needs to break the pattern of corruption within the police force, but then again NY has a less than stellar record as well with police problems. The other probllem that I have with the government is that they in a way are just as bad as the street hoods. We have a member of Mapps' security detail moving coke through the airport. We have a senator that was caught on video breaking into and looting businesses after a storm and then trying to get the feds to pay for what was taken. Those in power that are robbing us blind feel that they are above the law because they are elected. What they are doing is sending a clear message to the public that breaking the law is o.k. as long as you dont get caught.

You are correct!

One of the most comprehensive analysis of this problem I have seen on this page.

Time for some changes!

CD

STTsailor
December 20, 2016 12:41AM

[concealednation.org]

Something like that could work. I think there are so many young men dying here as victims so picking up a weapon and fighting for your rights against the gang violence makes sense.

speee1dy
December 20, 2016 07:45AM

the mayor of compton california is doing amazing things with her neighborhood. she is really trying to turn things around

LiquidFluoride
December 20, 2016 12:37PM

speee1dy
the mayor of compton california is doing amazing things with her neighborhood. she is really trying to turn things around

You say government is doing good, I'll spend 3 seconds and find out how it's just as corrupt as EVERY OTHER GOVERNMENT action...

Our solutions will come from US, not the government, not someone else.

Although reminding people of how much they could do themselves is difficult... Especially when they are "waiting for XXXX to do something about XXXX".

speee1dy
December 20, 2016 03:12PM

STTsailor
December 20, 2016 09:41PM

LiquidFluoride
speee1dy

You say government is doing good, I'll spend 3 seconds and find out how it's just as corrupt as EVERY OTHER GOVERNMENT action...

Our solutions will come from US, not the government, not someone else.

Although reminding people of how much they could do themselves is difficult... Especially when they are "waiting for XXXX to do something about XXXX".

The article is from 2015 and I could not find any follow up on these accusations.

LiquidFluoride
December 20, 2016 10:29PM

STTsailor
The article is from 2015 and I could not find any follow up on these accusations.

I can't either, maybe that means they are false?

Honestly I should be ashamed of myself for using a media outlet as a source and not the District Attorney's letter directly, this election cycle has shown us how untrustworthy media is in all reporting.

STTsailor
December 20, 2016 11:45PM

I like her initiative. These type of folks could make a difference in VI.
The certalized gov of VI could get in the way.

speee1dy
December 21, 2016 07:50AM

when i saw the blurb about her on some show, i thought, we sure need someone like her to come down here.

STTsailor
I like her initiative. These type of folks could make a difference in VI.
The certalized gov of VI could get in the way.

mtdoramike
December 25, 2016 08:33AM

Arm everyone!

speee1dy
December 26, 2016 07:56AM

that could help, but the majority of the killings are gang related . they already have firepower

STTsailor
December 26, 2016 11:01AM

So some of this young black males without criminal record could be deputiesed, armed and protect their homes and families.
How cool is that. Better die fighting for than running from stray bullets.

vicanuck
December 27, 2016 12:54PM

I'm for Open Carry in the VI. Its the only way in a lawless environment like this.

LiquidFluoride
December 27, 2016 01:58PM

vicanuck
I'm for Open Carry in the VI. Its the only way in a lawless environment like this.

Plus the whole "2nd amendment"..... Pretty sure that's in violation daily down here.

wanderer
January 02, 2017 12:45PM

STTsailor
Sure some of the stoic British culture filters down to local population but what puzzles me why BVI doesn't cope with the same issues of violence we do.

I believe that poverty and income inequality solve the puzzle. In BVI, the per capita income is $42K. In USVI, it is $13K.

It's just a simple law of economics that the more income you have, the less incentive there is to be a street criminal.

Additionally, BVI have notoriously tough immigration laws, which are strictly enforced. By comparison, USVI are wide open to any of the 320 million people from the U.S. mainland.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 01/02/2017 01:09PM by wanderer.

speee1dy
January 02, 2017 01:50PM

what is the education level and what types of jobs?

wanderer
January 02, 2017 03:19PM

STTsailor
BVI is just a few miles away from STT and STJ. Culturally this is the same population of slave trade descendants as USVI is.

It's my understanding that the treatment of slaves in the territories controlled by the Danish (which became what is known as USVI now) was significantly harsher than the treatment of slaves in the territories controlled by the British (which became what is known as BVI now). This is reportedly due to the presence of Quakers (and later Methodists) in BVI as early as 1770, and their opposition to slavery, which was written in their religious doctrines ("every man is a priest" ). By comparison, the Danish settlers were predominantly Lutheran (if not the criminals sent to the islands as labor force), who saw no conflict between their Christian ethics and slavery.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/02/2017 03:19PM by wanderer.

Alana33
January 02, 2017 08:48PM

[www.virgin-islands-history.dk]

As far as the violence that happens here, parental involvement, law enforcemenet, education and opportunities available for kids to get out and or not become involved in the gang lifestyle/turf wars.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/02/2017 09:03PM by Alana33.

vicanuck
January 03, 2017 07:53AM

wanderer
STTsailor
By comparison, USVI are wide open to any of the 320 million people from the U.S. mainland.

And that's part of the problem????

Scubadoo
January 03, 2017 09:53PM

Alana33
[www.virgin-islands-history.dk]

The remaining islanders in what had now become the United States Virgin Islands had been looking forward to improved living conditions under American rule. But the following years turned out to become hard. The much needed reforms within education, health care, and business investments were not carried out.

2016? or 1917. Who can tell?

STTsailor
January 03, 2017 11:33PM

It is hard to comprehend such a bid disparity in per capital income. How does BVI generate all that income? Could being the registration hub for off shore companies be so lucrative?
I think income from tourism is comparable.

wanderer
STTsailor
Sure some of the stoic British culture filters down to local population but what puzzles me why BVI doesn't cope with the same issues of violence we do.

I believe that poverty and income inequality solve the puzzle. In BVI, the per capita income is $42K. In USVI, it is $13K.

It's just a simple law of economics that the more income you have, the less incentive there is to be a street criminal.

Additionally, BVI have notoriously tough immigration laws, which are strictly enforced. By comparison, USVI are wide open to any of the 320 million people from the U.S. mainland.

stcmike
January 09, 2017 06:27PM

Just enforce the laws

rotorhead
January 09, 2017 06:57PM

wanderer

I believe the $13K number is bogus. Where did this come from?

If you look at Wikipedia you will find the $13K number in the text, however if you look in the right hand column you will find that the GDP per capita is $40,124.

The number usually compared is GDP per capita. The $42K for BVI is GDP per capita.
[en.wikipedia.org]

Join the discussion. Click the button below to Login or Register now!

Click here to login

• Blue Ocean Transport

Moving to the U.S. Virgin Islands?

Settlers Handbook
Only $17.95

The Settlers Handbook for the U.S. Virgin Islands is your guide to moving to St. Croix, St. Thomas, St. John and Water Island.

The current 18th Edition, released in January 2016, will help you explore your dream of island living. A solid reference book, it was first published in 1975. That's 40 years of helping people move to the islands. A must read. Order today.

Order Today

Advertise

Join VIMovingCenter.com Today!

Tell prospective and current residents about your business.

Learn More →

Sister Sites

VITraders

USVI Books & Souvenirs

VInow

USVI Vacation Guide

Living in de V.I.

USVI Relocation DVD

Proud Supporter

VI Olympic Team

For over 45 years, the Virgin Islands has celebrated the Olympic tradition by sending our athletes to compete.

Learn More →