Join discussions on moving to and living in the USVI, ask questions, share info & tips! (Vacationing? Visit Travel Message Board)

Good Mechanic

suzeq
December 27, 2016 09:55AM

Recently moved to STX. I'm looking for a good mechanic to service 2005 Mini Cooper S. Recommendation & contact info would be appreciated.

Re: Good Mechanic

speee1dy
December 27, 2016 10:23AM

sent you a PM.

LiquidFluoride
December 27, 2016 02:12PM

is that the Turbo version?

I'll take it for a test drive for you wink

suzeq
December 27, 2016 03:20PM

Yep, it is fun when I can find a decent road...

jumbie75
December 27, 2016 07:43PM

Jeff n Terry in La Grande Princesse. 718-3325

Alana33
December 27, 2016 11:02PM

suzeq
Yep, it is fun when I can find a decent road...
Ha! Welcome to the VI!

specialk
December 28, 2016 07:06AM

Mike at MPH at Five Corners is great thumbs up

suzeq
December 28, 2016 07:19AM

Thanks to everyone for the recommendations!

vasecs
December 28, 2016 10:03AM

We had a 07 Cooper S Convertible on island for 5 years. The mechanic that worked on it for various reasons was "Hayden" 340.277.3606. He was always attentive and responsive to vehicle's needs, which were many! We finally shipped car back to states for relief and the ability to use it!

The main problem we had was the quality of premium fuel was so poor on island that it constantly clogged fuel filters along with lack of use. Good luck, you are going to need alot of it along with wiring instructions to pay for repairs!

LiquidFluoride
December 28, 2016 03:08PM

vasecs
The main problem we had was the quality of premium fuel was so poor on island that it constantly clogged fuel filters along with lack of use. Good luck, you are going to need alot of it along with wiring instructions to pay for repairs!

Funny thing a bout new cars, you don't have to run premium in them unless you want a tiny bit of extra power, your car's ECU will adjust to the fuel your using and adjust the timing accordingly.

I wouldn't run premium fuel in a vehicle unless I had specifically tuned my car for it. plus I'm sure that stuff sits in the tanks a lot longer, regular fuel is cycled out much more often & I'd trust it more.

Scubadoo
December 28, 2016 11:17PM

LiquidFluoride
Funny thing a bout new cars, you don't have to run premium in them unless you want a tiny bit of extra power, your car's ECU will adjust to the fuel your using and adjust the timing accordingly

I tested that theory once in a rental Lexus in FL on a road trip. Definitely noticed the lower power on one tank of gas and used premium for the rest of the trip. But of course no knocking like in the old days. Definitely no need for premium unless the manufacturer says it's required. May not make so much difference using regular for STX driving if premium is required.

LiquidFluoride
December 29, 2016 12:34AM

Scubadoo
Definitely no need for premium unless the manufacturer says it's required.

Not even needed then, the same thing will happen, your ECU will adjust for the fuel.

My truck requires 91 octane "minimum" I've put "regular" (usually 89 octane) in it for 108,000+ miles now except for the few times I took it to the drag strip, then I reset the ECU, let it re-learn on C16 (race gas, 117 octane).

My hobby in Alaska was car racing (yeah, Alaska.... stupid i know)

Scubadoo
December 29, 2016 02:29AM

Yes, the ECU will adjust but there will probably be some some loss of power. That was the point.

Join the discussion. Click the button below to Login or Register now!

Click here to login

• Blue Ocean Transport

Moving to the U.S. Virgin Islands?

Settlers Handbook
Only $17.95

The Settlers Handbook for the U.S. Virgin Islands is your guide to moving to St. Croix, St. Thomas, St. John and Water Island.

The current 18th Edition, released in January 2016, will help you explore your dream of island living. A solid reference book, it was first published in 1975. That's 40 years of helping people move to the islands. A must read. Order today.

Order Today

Advertise

Join VIMovingCenter.com Today!

Tell prospective and current residents about your business.

Learn More →

Sister Sites

VITraders

USVI Books & Souvenirs

VInow

USVI Vacation Guide

Living in de V.I.

USVI Relocation DVD

Proud Supporter

VI Olympic Team

For over 45 years, the Virgin Islands has celebrated the Olympic tradition by sending our athletes to compete.

Learn More →