Join discussions on moving to and living in the USVI, ask questions, share info & tips! (Vacationing? Visit Travel Message Board)

PMV in Feb Car type to get

Bigfacemoe
January 24, 2017 01:47PM

Hey yall.

I will be there soon and cant wait. For the 10 days we will be there, will be be able to get by with a full size car?
I know if one is moving to the islands every one of you suggests a 4WD vehicle, but if we are just staying for 10 days can we get by with a car?
The price difference is almost $400.
Thanks

Re: PMV in Feb Car type to get

speee1dy
January 24, 2017 01:57PM

i dont have a 4wd and never have. i am on stx, pretty sure there are a plethora of non 4wd vehicles.

it really isnt a necessity. get a vehicle you will be comfortable in

Alana33
January 24, 2017 02:32PM

You'll be fine.

fdr
January 24, 2017 03:39PM

You mentioned visiting STJ as well as STT and Water Island. If it's raining, a car on St John won't get you over Jacob's Ladder or up the North Shore switchbacks. Also, some companies won't let you bring their rental cars over to STJ by barge (but that's no problem if you're taking the people ferry).

Never, ever follow behind a big truck up a steep hill in the islands, no matter what kind of vehicle you are driving! Wait at the bottom until it has cleared the top. People may swerve around you, that's fine. I have seen too many trucks come back down hills the wrong way to put my life at risk like that.

Alana33
January 24, 2017 03:53PM

Good point.
Like the accident on Maud Proudfoot area, the other day.
I like to give them plenty of room myself.

Bigfacemoe
January 24, 2017 07:09PM

Thanks everyone!

Exit Zero
January 24, 2017 08:24PM

This is from the Source about the Mafolie Hill truck accident.

[stthomassource.com]

jj00802
January 24, 2017 09:26PM

I am NOT one of the persons who says:
-----------"every one of you suggests a 4WD vehicle"

I have never had a 4-wheel drive and only knew a few people who need to drive through a unfinished road to their residences that require having 4-wheel drive.

In my opinion, the average resident or tourist does not need 4-wheel drive.

Scubadoo
January 24, 2017 10:07PM

fdr
Never, ever follow behind a big truck up a steep hill in the islands, no matter what kind of vehicle you are driving! Wait at the bottom until it has cleared the top. People may swerve around you, that's fine. I have seen too many trucks come back down hills the wrong way to put my life at risk like that.

Fortunately this is not so much a problem on STX.

If you are visiting STX a 4WD is certainly not required anywhere that the rental companies allow you to drive. Something with higher ground clearance does have it's advantages in a few locations.

Join the discussion. Click the button below to Login or Register now!

Click here to login

• Blue Ocean Transport

Moving to the U.S. Virgin Islands?

Settlers Handbook
Only $17.95

The Settlers Handbook for the U.S. Virgin Islands is your guide to moving to St. Croix, St. Thomas, St. John and Water Island.

The current 18th Edition, released in January 2016, will help you explore your dream of island living. A solid reference book, it was first published in 1975. That's 40 years of helping people move to the islands. A must read. Order today.

Order Today

Advertise

Join VIMovingCenter.com Today!

Tell prospective and current residents about your business.

Learn More →

Sister Sites

VITraders

USVI Books & Souvenirs

VInow

USVI Vacation Guide

Living in de V.I.

USVI Relocation DVD

Proud Supporter

VI Olympic Team

For over 45 years, the Virgin Islands has celebrated the Olympic tradition by sending our athletes to compete.

Learn More →