Join discussions on moving to and living in the USVI, ask questions, share info & tips! (Vacationing? Visit Travel Message Board)

Re: Difficulty of adding or enlarging a cistern on a house for sale?

speee1dy
February 03, 2017 07:46AM

and where did i say to be wasteful?

Gumbo
speee1dy
if you want to take a bath, take a bath. if you cant get your cistern enlarged, you might have to replenish from time to time through a water delivery service.

You can buy lots of water for the cost of building a cistern. I've got friends that are life long islanders. They make it fine with a 5000 gallon cistern. They have lots of plants as well. They flush the toilets and take showers everyday. They just aren't wasteful.

Gumbo
February 03, 2017 11:56AM

Gumbo
speee1dy
if you want to take a bath, take a bath. if you cant get your cistern enlarged, you might have to replenish from time to time through a water delivery service.

You can buy lots of water for the cost of building a cistern. I've got friends that are life long islanders. They make it fine with a 5000 gallon cistern. They have lots of plants as well. They flush the toilets and take showers everyday. They just aren't wasteful.

Actually I was referring to your post as valid, just adding a little more information. The wasteful part had nothing to do with what you said. You can take it any way you choose I really couldn't care less.

Jerry Barth
February 06, 2017 12:17PM

We are building a 650 sq feet house. It has an 11,000 gallon cistern. At this point I would say $3 gallon is too low, double that is probably about right. I will say that it seems like the overall costs for concrete construction is about $1500/yd. This includes materials and labor. Bear in mind that this is on Water Island, so we have some added ferry costs etc that you don't have on mainland STT.
Probably a more important thing that was mentioned is that you can have a huge cistern, but if your collection area is too small you'll never fill it up. Here's a calculator that I used:
[rainwaterharvesting.tamu.edu]

My neighbors have 5-6k gallon cisterns and they run out of water a lot. I don't think a daily bath is realistic unless you're only living there for 3 months/year or so.

vicanuck
February 07, 2017 08:07AM

Jerry Barth
We are building a 650 sq feet house.

That's a pretty small house for a 11,000 gallon cistern.

Bombi
February 07, 2017 11:24AM

We do OK with a 600 Ft Sq cottage and 400 sf of gallery space with about 10K gallons. Water saving everything and conservation with 2 people and a garden.

optimist with low expectations on STX

Join the discussion. Click the button below to Login or Register now!

Click here to login

• Blue Ocean Transport

Moving to the U.S. Virgin Islands?

Settlers Handbook
Only $17.95

The Settlers Handbook for the U.S. Virgin Islands is your guide to moving to St. Croix, St. Thomas, St. John and Water Island.

The current 18th Edition, released in January 2016, will help you explore your dream of island living. A solid reference book, it was first published in 1975. That's 40 years of helping people move to the islands. A must read. Order today.

Order Today

Advertise

Join VIMovingCenter.com Today!

Tell prospective and current residents about your business.

Learn More →

Sister Sites

VITraders

USVI Books & Souvenirs

VInow

USVI Vacation Guide

Living in de V.I.

USVI Relocation DVD

Proud Supporter

VI Olympic Team

For over 45 years, the Virgin Islands has celebrated the Olympic tradition by sending our athletes to compete.

Learn More →