Join discussions on moving to and living in the USVI, ask questions, share info & tips! (Vacationing? Visit Travel Message Board)

Health insurance

BeckiHedin
February 10, 2017 02:43PM

Hi- We are retiring and moving to STX in about 18 months. We do not have insurance through employers so we will need to buy health insurance. What do you recommend??

Re: Health insurance

Alana33
February 10, 2017 03:01PM

Staying stateside.

There is no affordable nor individual healthcare insurance available in the USVI, at this time, unless you work for a company or the VI Government that provides it or have own your own business, where you and spouse work together and meet requirements.

speee1dy
February 10, 2017 03:28PM

ditto what alana says

lily1025
February 10, 2017 03:54PM

look into HEALTHCARE INTERNATIONAL a company based in london.there is a large enough group in st. thomas and st. croix that there is a 25% discount,which depending upon which policy and deductable you choose,makes it fairly affordable.

LuckyGirl56
February 10, 2017 04:00PM

If you and spouse have a business, you can get health insurance. However, it's EXPENSIVE! I mean, REALLY EXPENSIVE.

watruw8ing4
February 10, 2017 04:42PM

lily1025
look into HEALTHCARE INTERNATIONAL a company based in london.there is a large enough group in st. thomas and st. croix that there is a 25% discount,which depending upon which policy and deductable you choose,makes it fairly affordable.

Healthcare International was under a cease and desist order in the VI, the last I heard.

vasecs
February 12, 2017 10:05AM

Message Removed: Please revisit Board Rules.

Alana33
February 12, 2017 10:46AM

Reply Removed

Gator's Mom
April 21, 2018 08:48AM

If you're 65 or over Medicare, Medicare supplement plans, and Medicare part D plans are available to you through AARP/UH in the VI.

Underway, is implementation of the Association Health Plans rule as an alternative to ACA signed into law by executive order last fall. These plans will not be regulated by ACA and may work in the VI. These are the plans you could get through business and affinity groups prior to ACA. Won't be great if you have preexisting conditions though.

[www.usatoday.com]

[www.inc.com]

Health insurance is expensive everywhere. What is VERY EXPENSIVE? Nice to know numbers please.

For me my employer offers retirees access to use its health insurance plans for their lifetimes. But ..... it will cost $700 per month for an individual plan that covers nearly everything and works anywhere in the US/PR/VI. That's a bargain - and similar to what I would pay for individual ACA insurance where I live in FL for similar coverage that only works in FL.

When I turn 65, I will switch to Medicare/supplement/part D in the VI that will cost per month $100 part A, $140-180 supplement, $40 part D. Advantage plans are not offered in the VI.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 04/21/2018 09:01AM by Gator's Mom.

Join the discussion. Click the button below to Login or Register now!

Click here to login

• Blue Ocean Transport

Moving to the U.S. Virgin Islands?

Settlers Handbook
Only $17.95

The Settlers Handbook for the U.S. Virgin Islands is your guide to moving to St. Croix, St. Thomas, St. John and Water Island.

The current 18th Edition, released in January 2016, will help you explore your dream of island living. A solid reference book, it was first published in 1975. That's 40 years of helping people move to the islands. A must read. Order today.

Order Today

Advertise

Join VIMovingCenter.com Today!

Tell prospective and current residents about your business.

Learn More →

Sister Sites

VITraders

USVI Books & Souvenirs

VInow

USVI Vacation Guide

Living in de V.I.

USVI Relocation DVD

Proud Supporter

VI Olympic Team

For over 45 years, the Virgin Islands has celebrated the Olympic tradition by sending our athletes to compete.

Learn More →