Join discussions on moving to and living in the USVI, ask questions, share info & tips! (Vacationing? Visit Travel Message Board)

Mapp, in today's Daily News, said he would cut his salary if the people demanded it

islandjoan
February 15, 2017 02:49PM

Someone in the office had the hard copy, don't know if anyone pays for the online version and can post the link?

Mapp said he would cut his salary if the people demanded it.

How do we proceed with the demand? Does it have to go thru the Legislature, or does it need to be a petition?

Re: Mapp, in today's Daily News, said he would cut his salary if the people demanded it

Alana33
February 15, 2017 03:16PM

I was only able to see the headline not read the DN article.
My thoughts:
It'll be a cold day in Hell before he gives up his luxury lifestyle or cuts his salary. Lip service means NOTHING!

There needs to be a petition to:
A. Reduce the number of Senators.
B. Reduce ALL salaries for Senators, Gov., Lt. Gov., commissioners and administrators back to pre bill #6901 levels.

Re: Mapp, in today's Daily News, said he would cut his salary if the people demanded it

vicanuck
February 15, 2017 03:26PM

He should just resign...that would be more beneficial.

AandA2VI
February 18, 2017 10:55PM

I literally spit out my rum. What a JOKE. I am spending Wednesday of next week taking photos of Mahogany Rd. not that it'll do anything. I guess we all got the slap in the face we needed with the progression of the sin tax and the opposition of it.... I am curious... does it include the cruise ship port in STT? All those stores that are owned by the cruise ships, will they not be duty free anymore?

Scubadoo
February 18, 2017 11:03PM

AandA2VI
All those stores that are owned by the cruise ships, will they not be duty free anymore?

Jewelry and watches duty free,rum and tobaco not so much

AandA2VI
February 18, 2017 11:47PM

Ah yea, I guess there's a bigger market in the jewelry vs booze and cigs - to take back home I mean. I saw in the paper as I glanced at it that they estimate 4 million in revenue. Do we think that's accurate? Nevermind the fact that we pay them all 12-20 million a year. Smh.

speee1dy
February 19, 2017 08:35AM

i thought the people demanded it already?

East Ender
February 19, 2017 09:30AM

What stores are owned by the cruise ships? They have their own stores on the ship.

Alana33
February 19, 2017 12:35PM

Yeah, we have a financial crisis but they still had a fabulous party on STX at government house with fabulous catered food and Stanley and the Ten Sleepless Nights playing fabulous music, and staying over for the Ag fest.
Glad we are footing the bill for all the fabulousness and partying our Governor is constantly indulging himself and his cronies in.
Pisses me off!

COLDER
February 19, 2017 04:25PM

Once again Mr Mapp has no idea how to lead the USVI or set a good example.
He has a great opportunity to show leadership by volunteering to take a pay cut and reduce expenses. but NO, he will only do it if taxpayers demand that he takes a reduction
He has said that a pay cut would not take care of the problem we face.
Does he know how to eat a elephant ?
One piece at a time.
Lots of small cuts will be small bites out of this financial elephant setting on the chest of the USVI taxpays
And he wonders why the financial markets have turn their backs on the USVI.

AandA2VI
February 19, 2017 08:12PM

East Ender
What stores are owned by the cruise ships? They have their own stores on the ship.
Sorry, not owned but the kickbacks ships get from the stores. I guess it might be false - I'm going based on a port worker who told me this.

Alana33
February 19, 2017 08:19PM

Cruise ships do, I believe, get paid to advertise certain stores in different ports.

speee1dy
February 20, 2017 07:51AM

i know one store downtown who does not take or give kickbacks.

the tour operators do go to the stores to check them out and speak with the owners though

AandA2VI
East Ender
Sorry, not owned but the kickbacks ships get from the stores. I guess it might be false - I'm going based on a port worker who told me this.

East Ender
February 20, 2017 05:39PM

The stores that advertise on the ships are paying for the privilege. I'm not sure if that is a kickback.

Join the discussion. Click the button below to Login or Register now!

Click here to login

• Blue Ocean Transport

Moving to the U.S. Virgin Islands?

Settlers Handbook
Only $17.95

The Settlers Handbook for the U.S. Virgin Islands is your guide to moving to St. Croix, St. Thomas, St. John and Water Island.

The current 18th Edition, released in January 2016, will help you explore your dream of island living. A solid reference book, it was first published in 1975. That's 40 years of helping people move to the islands. A must read. Order today.

Order Today

Advertise

Join VIMovingCenter.com Today!

Tell prospective and current residents about your business.

Learn More →

Sister Sites

VITraders

USVI Books & Souvenirs

VInow

USVI Vacation Guide

Living in de V.I.

USVI Relocation DVD

Proud Supporter

VI Olympic Team

For over 45 years, the Virgin Islands has celebrated the Olympic tradition by sending our athletes to compete.

Learn More →