Join discussions on moving to and living in the USVI, ask questions, share info & tips! (Vacationing? Visit Travel Message Board)

Cell phone service advice

steph and mark
March 31, 2017 03:50PM

We will be moving to St. Croix in August and wondering which provider is better AT&T or Sprint? We currently have Verizon and were able to use our phones while over but stopped into both AT&T and Sprint stores to find out if I would be able to switch my current phone over and I can. So just wondering if anyone has advice as to the better service? Thanks for your help. Steph and Mark

Re: Cell phone service advice

Jumbie
March 31, 2017 04:25PM

My experience hands down is to go with AT&T. They have the most coverage by far. However there are still dead spots on STX where you don't get any signal.. Sprint works but is much more restricted to a few areas on STX. Verizon is almost useless and when you can get a signal you are on roaming.

Jumbie

Alana33
March 31, 2017 04:29PM

steph and mark
March 31, 2017 04:35PM

Thank you so much for your help!

daveb722
March 31, 2017 04:39PM

Had AT&T and Verizon, only AT&T is worth it, still dead spots as discussed but otherwise your best bet.

Alana33
March 31, 2017 04:43PM

When renting a home, check out your cellphone signal.
You'll be glad you did.
Also good to ask about type of internet service available in that location.

steph and mark
March 31, 2017 05:03PM

We purchased a home in Work and Rest area. I didn't even think about the internet service. The places we have rented in the past had wireless through WAPA I believe. What other choices are available?

Exit Zero
March 31, 2017 11:24PM

I can pretty much assure you that WAPA was not providing your internet - wireless or not.

rosesisland
April 01, 2017 06:36AM

AT&T best bet here! WAPA does not provide Internet services.

East Ender
April 01, 2017 08:02AM

WAPA doesn't even provide what it is supposed to provide.wink

(Water and Power Authority)

steph and mark
April 02, 2017 12:40PM

Oh yes, I knew that about WAPA. It was Innovative for wireless internet. Does that sound right? I was thinking WAPA but when the electric went out our internet didn't come back on and we had to call them. Is there any other wireless internet providers available? And we are also interested in looking into solar power for the house. Any recommendations? We show lots of signage advertising thru-out the island when we were there in December. I would think this is the way to go since WAPA is "screwing everyone over" as I keep hearing about.

Beeski
April 02, 2017 02:22PM

Broadband VI has a bunch of Internet customers in Work & Rest.
I am not sure if solar power net-metering is still an option. Try contacting solar providers for the latest news. WAPA had set aside only a certain amount of net metering permits. They may all be used up.

steph and mark
April 02, 2017 02:34PM

Thank you for this information! Very helpful.

Alana33
April 02, 2017 03:04PM

Having a home or apt. rental with a generator is the best way to go if you can't afford solar.
Something that can power lights, TV, internet, computer, water pump, refrigerator, water heater and at least a washing machine.
A propane stove is a must.

sunshinefun
April 03, 2017 08:29AM

BroadbandVI is the best internet service provider on STX. Stay away from Innovative.

quirion
April 03, 2017 12:36PM

sunshinefun
BroadbandVI is the best internet service provider on STX. Stay away from Innovative.

I had broadband for years. Then speeds kept getting lower(even on the plus plan).
Switched to innovative about a year ago and have had zero problems getting more speed for less money.

sttanon
April 03, 2017 09:37PM

Cell signal can be boosted at house through several devices. Wilson is one brand. They make a booster that acts as a MicroCell and you can get a model that will boost any carriers signal

Wolverine888
April 17, 2017 04:30AM

Thx for the info, very helpful, for instance Verizon is the provider of choice where I live in Michigan, not so much there, huh?

Alana33
April 17, 2017 09:52AM

Not at all.

kakalee
April 18, 2017 02:40PM

Do you know where you will be living? Some areas have no cell service at all. ATT is generally accepted as better than Sprint, but I have seen a friend calling me from the parking lot of my condo on her Att phone & not get through because only Sprint works here.

Wolverine888
April 19, 2017 03:42AM

Preferably St. John but St. Thomas is a possibility

Alana33
April 19, 2017 11:02AM

In STJ, depending on area you live in, especially out east, you may pick up the Tortola cell service which will end up costing you an arm and a leg for roaming charges if not noticed.

AT&T seems to have the best coverage in VI tho there are some spotty areas.

Join the discussion. Click the button below to Login or Register now!

Click here to login

• Blue Ocean Transport

Moving to the U.S. Virgin Islands?

Settlers Handbook
Only $17.95

The Settlers Handbook for the U.S. Virgin Islands is your guide to moving to St. Croix, St. Thomas, St. John and Water Island.

The current 18th Edition, released in January 2016, will help you explore your dream of island living. A solid reference book, it was first published in 1975. That's 40 years of helping people move to the islands. A must read. Order today.

Order Today

Advertise

Join VIMovingCenter.com Today!

Tell prospective and current residents about your business.

Learn More →

Sister Sites

VITraders

USVI Books & Souvenirs

VInow

USVI Vacation Guide

Living in de V.I.

USVI Relocation DVD

Proud Supporter

VI Olympic Team

For over 45 years, the Virgin Islands has celebrated the Olympic tradition by sending our athletes to compete.

Learn More →