Join discussions on moving to and living in the USVI, ask questions, share info & tips! (Vacationing? Visit Travel Message Board)

Retired Federal Employee Health Care

Wolverine888
April 19, 2017 05:59AM

Any retired federal government employees living in USVI with healthcare plans under the FEHB that they've had good success with? My current healthcare plan is excellent but does not have coverage in the USVI currently.

Re: Retired Federal Employee Health Care

singlefin
April 19, 2017 09:11AM

You'll most likely have to go Out-of-Network. I don't use that exact plan but had a similar issue with what I have.
Out-of-Network hits me with a $1000 deductible right off the bat every year, however, major medical is covered.
We've found at most offices here, that there's a cash charge, and there's the insurance charge (much higher).
Sometimes, just to eliminate hassles, we just pay the cash charge and are done with it. Dental insurance fees aren't worth it here either. We just pay cash for that and optical as well.
Healthcare is probably the #1 drawback to moving here. The Lt Governor has made it his personal mission to come up with some solutions. That being said, no one expects a solution anytime soon.
Stay healthy. Eat right, exercise, and brush & floss!

susan56
April 20, 2017 02:04PM

My husband is a retired gov employee too.

His bc/bs covered us just as it is does in the in the US.

singlefin
April 20, 2017 05:35PM

As long as your Blue Cross, Blue Shield is from the States. Locally, I believe it's no longer obtainable.

Wolverine888
April 21, 2017 04:06AM

Thanks for all your inputs, really appreciate it...have received further clarification from my provider, GEHA, since posting my original message and they have now clarified that my coverage will continue the same, even when moving to USVI, not just while on a trip there. I've always looked at any form of insurance from the standpoint of making sure it covers the major surprises that come our way, whether it be auto, home or medical, etc., not so much concerned about making sure every little thing is covered, in fact I elected my insurer's high deductible health savings account for that very reason.

Idlewood4
April 23, 2017 11:30PM

I've had good luck with FEP Blue here, although it's difficult locating preferred providers. And there are no approved dentists.

islandjoan
April 24, 2017 10:38AM

I don't believe for a second that Potter is motivated to find solutions. Sorry but it seems that he's too busy living high on the hog right now to bother. The Lt Governor job always kinda seemed like a lame duck position to me. Can anyone, who has lived here for decades, remember anything substantial that was done by a Lt Governor??

singlefin
The Lt Governor has made it his personal mission to come up with some solutions. That being said, no one expects a solution anytime soon.

islandjoan
April 24, 2017 11:38AM

So I found this story where Potter travelled to Bermuda but no follow up that I recall...

Potter Bermuda boondoggle

singlefin
April 24, 2017 02:00PM

The article clearly states he's "working tirelessly".

Wink, wink, nudge, nudge...

islandjoan
April 24, 2017 03:28PM

Yeah I get your sarcasm now....for some reason I thought you believed him!

singlefin
The article clearly states he's "working tirelessly".

Wink, wink, nudge, nudge...

Matt
May 02, 2017 12:55PM

Many of my coworkers and I use the APWU (American Postal Workers Union) Health Plan. I have been on STX for 5 yrs. and it works well. And as far as I know, any federal employee/retiree can use it. Yeah, few dentists take insurance here.

Join the discussion. Click the button below to Login or Register now!

Click here to login

• Blue Ocean Transport

Moving to the U.S. Virgin Islands?

Settlers Handbook
Only $17.95

The Settlers Handbook for the U.S. Virgin Islands is your guide to moving to St. Croix, St. Thomas, St. John and Water Island.

The current 18th Edition, released in January 2016, will help you explore your dream of island living. A solid reference book, it was first published in 1975. That's 40 years of helping people move to the islands. A must read. Order today.

Order Today

Advertise

Join VIMovingCenter.com Today!

Tell prospective and current residents about your business.

Learn More →

Sister Sites

VITraders

USVI Books & Souvenirs

VInow

USVI Vacation Guide

Living in de V.I.

USVI Relocation DVD

Proud Supporter

VI Olympic Team

For over 45 years, the Virgin Islands has celebrated the Olympic tradition by sending our athletes to compete.

Learn More →