Join discussions on moving to and living in the USVI, ask questions, share info & tips! (Vacationing? Visit Travel Message Board)

Rainy Day reading

Exit Zero
May 01, 2017 10:25AM

With the new 'sin' taxes taking effect residents may find this a worthwhile read on a rainy day.

http://newsofstjohn.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/05/Outstanding-Property-Tax-in-USVI.pdf

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/01/2017 10:26AM by Exit Zero.

Re: Rainy Day reading

sunshinefun
May 01, 2017 11:43AM

Knowing how messed up and sloppy with paperwork the GVI is, its doubtful that much of this is even collectible despite Mapp and Potter's threats.

rmb2830
May 01, 2017 04:11PM

Amazing difference between the relatively low number of STX properties with taxes owed and the high number of non-paying owners on other islands. Incredible how many are STT properties.

islandjoan
May 01, 2017 04:28PM

How do you know how many are STT or STX? Of course if you recognize the person or business you will know, but otherwise no way to tell which island the rest are from.

rmb2830
May 01, 2017 05:20PM

parcel numbers beginning with a 2 or a 4 are St Croix--Christiansted office or Fred'sted office. Compare that to the number beginning with a 1 or 3 or 5...

AandA2VI
May 01, 2017 05:34PM

GULP! I wonder what the total amount? Wonder if it would clear the VI debt in entirety?? maybe not but dang thats a lot of cheddar! Sad though... 30 days to come up with all that money is gone result in a lot of auctioned property.

sunshinefun
May 01, 2017 05:55PM

The list represents decades of "possible" unpaid taxes. The vast majority will be either uncollectable, disputed or already paid.

I think Mapp said there was $435 million in potential unpaid taxes but I would guess that maybe 10% of that is recoverable, eventually.

They don't have the manpower needed to even grab the low hanging fruit he keeps talking about. But, it might be a good time for lawyers!

rmb2830
May 01, 2017 06:06PM

they say over 103 million owed in real property taxes.
And the taxes themselves are really low compared to what the tax for the same value of property would be in many areas of the US. Never mind the underassessment of so many parcels, with a relatively small number of over-assessed properties for which the owners can always file appeals (but you have to pay the tax to appeal).

Lots of years ago, like in the 80's and 90's, the gov't would schedule tax sales on property on a regular schedule---and post all the overdue tax parcels in the newspaper, with owners getting their property crossed off on the newspaper ad as they went in and paid, or I guess proved it had already been paid. Then the gov't went for years with no action, so it appears many people and corporations/businesses just did not pay. Some really large amounts now on this list.

islandjoan
May 01, 2017 06:45PM

Ahhh yes thanks I didn't take the time to research that or figure it out!!

rmb2830
parcel numbers beginning with a 2 or a 4 are St Croix--Christiansted office or Fred'sted office. Compare that to the number beginning with a 1 or 3 or 5...

Gumbo
May 01, 2017 09:19PM

How in the world were these people allowed to get this far behind on their property taxes? How many have they let slide on income taxes I wonder?

Alana33
May 02, 2017 10:50AM

They also have dead people on the list.

Gumbo
May 02, 2017 01:01PM

Alana33

So that means the estate is responsible for the taxes right?

vicanuck
May 02, 2017 01:04PM

Gumbo
Alana33

Usually, but estates here can take decades to go through probate.

Scubadoo
May 02, 2017 02:09PM

vicanuck
Gumbo
Alana33

Usually, but estates here can take decades to go through probate.

Hmmm, does the prevent the government from taking possession?

vicanuck
May 02, 2017 04:54PM

I'm not certain about that! Probably not if the property ownership is undecided because of court/legal action.

Join the discussion. Click the button below to Login or Register now!

Click here to login

• Blue Ocean Transport

Moving to the U.S. Virgin Islands?

Settlers Handbook
Only $17.95

The Settlers Handbook for the U.S. Virgin Islands is your guide to moving to St. Croix, St. Thomas, St. John and Water Island.

The current 18th Edition, released in January 2016, will help you explore your dream of island living. A solid reference book, it was first published in 1975. That's 40 years of helping people move to the islands. A must read. Order today.

Order Today

Advertise

Join VIMovingCenter.com Today!

Tell prospective and current residents about your business.

Learn More →

Sister Sites

VITraders

USVI Books & Souvenirs

VInow

USVI Vacation Guide

Living in de V.I.

USVI Relocation DVD

Proud Supporter

VI Olympic Team

For over 45 years, the Virgin Islands has celebrated the Olympic tradition by sending our athletes to compete.

Learn More →