Join discussions on moving to and living in the USVI, ask questions, share info & tips! (Vacationing? Visit Travel Message Board)

Best option to ship boxes to STX?

wahini
May 15, 2017 04:31PM

Good afternoon! I will be moving to STX next month and getting ready to ship some boxes to myself. What is the best, cheapest option based on your experience? Any help appreciated.

Re: Best option to ship boxes to STX?

rotorhead
May 15, 2017 06:01PM

Jim Dandy
May 15, 2017 07:57PM

USPS - Priority Mail

lescooper
May 15, 2017 08:39PM

USPS is the only service that doesn't consider the USVI international. So rates are much cheaper, same as stateside.
One problem, standard shipping truly is a slow boat. I've had some take up to 6 weeks. Priority will cost more but you can count on receiving in about 3 days.

Exit Zero
May 15, 2017 09:11PM

Unless you really don't care when [if] they arrive do not use 'media mail rate shipping'

Scubadoo
May 15, 2017 10:27PM

USPS -Priority Mail Flat RateĀ®

Exit Zero
May 15, 2017 10:49PM

If the boxes are already packed and/or too large for Flat Rate - pay for priority anyway by weight.
I actually took a flat rate envelope into the STT PO that contained a 'Matchbook car' for my grandson -- the desk clerk Insisted! that - 'Flat Rate means FLAT no lumps' pointing at the words -- flat rate!!

This really happened! everyone in line was rolling with laughs.

Afriend
May 16, 2017 06:32AM

We send anywhere between 5 and 20 boxes a year to STX via USPS Priority and found the service to be very reliable. Flat rate goes are fairly economical. Non-flat rate boxes cost more but still arrive in a few days.

vicanuck
May 16, 2017 08:02AM

Exit Zero
If the boxes are already packed and/or too large for Flat Rate - pay for priority anyway by weight.
I actually took a flat rate envelope into the STT PO that contained a 'Matchbook car' for my grandson -- the desk clerk Insisted! that - 'Flat Rate means FLAT no lumps' pointing at the words -- flat rate!!

This really happened! everyone in line was rolling with laughs.

If it fits, it ships!

Scubadoo
May 17, 2017 10:36PM

As long as the flaps all fully close.

Join the discussion. Click the button below to Login or Register now!

Click here to login

• Blue Ocean Transport

Moving to the U.S. Virgin Islands?

Settlers Handbook
Only $17.95

The Settlers Handbook for the U.S. Virgin Islands is your guide to moving to St. Croix, St. Thomas, St. John and Water Island.

The current 18th Edition, released in January 2016, will help you explore your dream of island living. A solid reference book, it was first published in 1975. That's 40 years of helping people move to the islands. A must read. Order today.

Order Today

Advertise

Join VIMovingCenter.com Today!

Tell prospective and current residents about your business.

Learn More →

Sister Sites

VITraders

USVI Books & Souvenirs

VInow

USVI Vacation Guide

Living in de V.I.

USVI Relocation DVD

Proud Supporter

VI Olympic Team

For over 45 years, the Virgin Islands has celebrated the Olympic tradition by sending our athletes to compete.

Learn More →