Join discussions on moving to and living in the USVI, ask questions, share info & tips! (Vacationing? Visit Travel Message Board)

Fishing in STX

Treeman
May 22, 2017 02:05PM

Good Afternoon. We are heading down for our PMV II at the end of June. For some fun I was thinking about going fishing (I have a lot of experience inshore and offshore).

Wondering if you could recommend a good charter captain for 1/2 day.

Re: Fishing in STX

Alana33
May 22, 2017 06:15PM

What island?

singlefin
May 22, 2017 06:32PM

www.hookandsunfishingstcroix.com

JohnnyU
May 22, 2017 09:27PM

Mike @ STX inshore fishing Charters

Treeman
May 23, 2017 07:19AM

AandA2VI
May 28, 2017 10:05PM

Sadly we are quite overfished unless you go way offshore. West is decimated. I'd also like to personally throat punch the person who shot the giant barracuda that hangs out under the pier. He's suffering, we've tried to get close to pull the spear out which is imbedded in him and didn't kill him. It's sticking out of him and even above the water line. Probably a 3ft spear. We are trying to figure out a way to get him and cut it off at least. Maybe have to cast net him from a paddle board? No clue. He's at least 4ft. Never bothers anyone, always minds his own business and always leaves when humans are near.... which is making it really hard to help him.

Also, why the F do people fish at the pier? There's nothing there, people! Nothing but very very small fish and I'm sick of taking off thousands of yards of line from the pillars. So annoying.

islandjoan
May 29, 2017 10:40AM

thumbs downmadsad poor barracuda that sucks so bad!!! Thanks for trying to save it I hope you can.

jasona
May 29, 2017 01:20PM

The barracuda was shot by the same group of teenagers that shot the Moray eel, removed it from the water and then used it as a punching bag. Only to throw it out onto the rocks. The parents were there for both incidents and did not give a sh*t. The port authority police showed up the first time after several near misses of snorkelers.

islandjoan
May 29, 2017 02:55PM

Saddest things I've read in a long time. I wish someone would do the same thing to those teenagers. Mentality like that means they will turn out to be, or already are, rapist and/or murderers.

dougtamjj
May 29, 2017 05:04PM

Ignorance does not always equate to evil. Spearing a young person because that person committed an act that may ok or accepted in that persons culture or through a lack of education is a far more serious act.

islandjoan
May 29, 2017 08:39PM

The evil is in the using it as a punching bag and then throwing it on the rocks. People who do things like that may go on to greater acts of violence.

daveb722
May 30, 2017 07:53AM

I have to disagree, I did some stupid things to woodchucks and birds as a kid, grew up ok, actually have become very humane to animals and have a great family and network of friends. My parents punished me when necessary and although I got into trouble in my teens, I've been a contributor to society once I grew up and understood the world a little better.

islandjoan
The evil is in the using it as a punching bag and then throwing it on the rocks. People who do things like that may go on to greater acts of violence.

islandjoan
May 30, 2017 10:34AM

Daveb722, I am glad you turned out so well, but not everyone does. When some individuals are repeatedly exposed to, and participate in, cruelty to living things, they frequently become desensitized to such cruelty and move on to commit worse acts of cruelty.

However I will admit I came across a little too harsh, but it really angered me to read about the poor barracuda and moray eel. They don't deserve such treatment!

vicanuck
May 30, 2017 10:55AM

I agree with IslandJoan. Senseless killing is senseless no matter what is being killed.

AandA2VI
May 30, 2017 02:02PM

jasona
The barracuda was shot by the same group of teenagers that shot the Moray eel, removed it from the water and then used it as a punching bag. Only to throw it out onto the rocks. The parents were there for both incidents and did not give a sh*t. The port authority police showed up the first time after several near misses of snorkelers.

Was this recent with the morey? The big green one that used to live under the pier? I can tell you that I will see red and can't be held accountable to my actions if I see something like that happening.

caribstx
May 30, 2017 03:01PM

Children like that should be taken out to the 14 mile buoy and dropped off.

jasona
May 30, 2017 07:23PM

AandA2VI
Was this recent with the morey? The big green one that used to live under the pier?

Yes, this happened in late February/March to the big moray eel that lived under the pier.

RevFD
May 30, 2017 08:04PM

Came across these clips a while back. Are these the kids?

[youtu.be]

I'm a spero myself but a big believer in sustainable spearfishing - you stick to regulations, only take what you need, eat what you kill, and respect the catch.

While perhaps not illegal, the sad part is that these knuckleheads are ruining one of the best dive sites on the island. Kill off everything and people will stop coming, and the local economy suffers. The is the last, F'sted need right now.

Ought to get a petition going to protect these resources in selected areas, beyond Buck Island the East End marine park.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/30/2017 08:05PM by RevFD.

Scubadoo
May 30, 2017 09:55PM

RevFD
I'm a spero myself but a big believer in sustainable spearfishing - you stick to regulations, only take what you need, eat what you kill, and respect the catch.

Lionfish excepted.

Join the discussion. Click the button below to Login or Register now!

Click here to login

• Blue Ocean Transport

Moving to the U.S. Virgin Islands?

Settlers Handbook
Only $17.95

The Settlers Handbook for the U.S. Virgin Islands is your guide to moving to St. Croix, St. Thomas, St. John and Water Island.

The current 18th Edition, released in January 2016, will help you explore your dream of island living. A solid reference book, it was first published in 1975. That's 40 years of helping people move to the islands. A must read. Order today.

Order Today

Advertise

Join VIMovingCenter.com Today!

Tell prospective and current residents about your business.

Learn More →

Sister Sites

VITraders

USVI Books & Souvenirs

VInow

USVI Vacation Guide

Living in de V.I.

USVI Relocation DVD

Proud Supporter

VI Olympic Team

For over 45 years, the Virgin Islands has celebrated the Olympic tradition by sending our athletes to compete.

Learn More →