Join discussions on moving to and living in the USVI, ask questions, share info & tips! (Vacationing? Visit Travel Message Board)

1st Dive STX

Treeman
May 23, 2017 08:50AM

Good Morning!!

Another day another referral, please.

Next month on PMVII my wife and I will be taking the plunge. We have decided that we want to introduce ourselves to SCUBA diving. We have both snorkeled and own gear; just want to take the next step.

Where and with whom do you recommend our intro class and first dive??

Re: 1st Dive STX

janeinstx
May 23, 2017 10:00AM

N2 the Blue in Fredriksted. Ask for Jenny as your instructor.

terry
May 23, 2017 10:16AM

Jenny is great! But you can't always count on them to give er to you. Greg and Mel at Latitude 17 are owner operators. They give very personal service.
340-514-7078

rosesisland
May 23, 2017 01:34PM

I agree, you can't beat Gerg and/or Mel.

Treeman
May 23, 2017 01:41PM

Thanks a lot.

My wife is a little nervous so a more personalized instructor will be great.
We both want to see if this is something that we can do together once we move down.

quirion
May 23, 2017 03:03PM

I love Dive Experience and Michelle Pugh won't steer you wrong! Divers hall of famer smiling

SkysTheLimit
May 23, 2017 04:07PM

quirion
I love Dive Experience and Michelle Pugh won't steer you wrong! Divers hall of famer smiling

I believe she was the first woman in the Diver's Hall of Fame too... Her dog is cool too!!

reghunnicutt
May 23, 2017 04:38PM

All the operators on St Croix are excellent and Qualified. I've settled into SCUBA because they operate a larger vessel, operate both ends of the island, and they can and will store and rinse your gear for the duration of you stay. Super instruction. Remember always to tip the crew no matter who you use.

AandA2VI
May 23, 2017 05:16PM

I really like Mitch and Andrea at Adventures in Diving. They're super patient with new divers and right by the pier also.

[www.adventuresindivingstx.com]

Cane bay dive shop would be my second suggestion, they have a shop west too.

daveb722
May 23, 2017 05:20PM

If you could, you should do all your pre-requisites in the states and then do your actual dives when you come down to get certified. You would probably save money and have more time to dive and not be tied up with the instruction and enjoy it a little bit more. Also your wife will then be able to become a little more accustomed to it.

JohnnyU
May 23, 2017 05:43PM

daveb722
If you could, you should do all your pre-requisites in the states and then do your actual dives when you come down to get certified. You would probably save money and have more time to dive and not be tied up with the instruction and enjoy it a little bit more. Also your wife will then be able to become a little more accustomed to it.

+1

Believe that you can do the classroom on line

Scubadoo
May 23, 2017 11:29PM

I don't think you can go wrong with any of the STX dive ops for training. Sweat Bottom at Carambola has the advantage of using a pool for initial training before open water checkout. I'm not sure if the others have pool access. Doing the classroom training in the states is recommended and then get a referral for checkout dives. I don't know how the current classes are being taught but the first things we had to do was quite a bit of laps and treading water in the pool.

AandA2VI
May 24, 2017 09:54PM

I would for sure do online classes but didn't you say you're just doing a DSD (discover dive)? Those are recommended for first timers as it's $100 and you get to see if you like it or not. Scuba isn't for everyone. If you know you like it and want to do the full open water cert - you do need to decide on an shop first - PADI you can use everyone except for Advetures in Diving as they are NAUI and SSI. In reality they're all the same but I do like NAUIs program a bit more than PADI. A bit more detailed safety oriented IMO, but they all do the same thing and it doesn't really matter in the long run. It's all learned by actually just logging dives and learning your own limits. Adventures in Diving does use a pool on occasion but I don't think anyone really needs to out west, especially. That little beach south of the pier is perfect for DSD and skills.

Of course got a cold with all the public transport in Italy but I'm dying to get back in the wata!!!! I did get to do a dive in Italy - in Cinque Terra - holy crap, 62'. BBBBRRRRR. I hate shoving into a 5 mil full suit, can't even reach my toes lol! It was cool not knowing all the fish though and saw a few real beauties.

Alana33
May 24, 2017 10:52PM

I was initially NAUI certified, did my Advanced, then did a crossover to NAUI/PADI for my Divemaster certification.

Luckily by the best instructor ever for my basic training, Armando Jenicks, when I was probably 19 -20 years old.

The pool work is great for beginners because will it familiarise you with the equipment you'll be using and hopefully your instructor will rip ( well, maybe not rip but make you remove mask while submerged) your mask off and then your mouthpiece so that you won't freak out in any event.
Classwork is also important.

Get your basic done and get certified prior to being here if you want to dive while you're here. There are some instructors that do shallow water introductory lessons. If you have any fears best to start in a pool.

I grew up in, around and on the water here in the islands.
Friends and I started diving at 16/17 years old without flotation vests, depth gauges, any safety equipment or knowledge. We were lucky but
we did get ourselves in sticky situations.
Whatever floats your boat!
Good luck and enjoy.

Join the discussion. Click the button below to Login or Register now!

Click here to login

• Blue Ocean Transport

Moving to the U.S. Virgin Islands?

Settlers Handbook
Only $17.95

The Settlers Handbook for the U.S. Virgin Islands is your guide to moving to St. Croix, St. Thomas, St. John and Water Island.

The current 18th Edition, released in January 2016, will help you explore your dream of island living. A solid reference book, it was first published in 1975. That's 40 years of helping people move to the islands. A must read. Order today.

Order Today

Advertise

Join VIMovingCenter.com Today!

Tell prospective and current residents about your business.

Learn More →

Sister Sites

VITraders

USVI Books & Souvenirs

VInow

USVI Vacation Guide

Living in de V.I.

USVI Relocation DVD

Proud Supporter

VI Olympic Team

For over 45 years, the Virgin Islands has celebrated the Olympic tradition by sending our athletes to compete.

Learn More →