Join discussions on moving to and living in the USVI, ask questions, share info & tips! (Vacationing? Visit Travel Message Board)

Tiny house STX. Can you?

reydavila
June 28, 2017 02:51PM

Anyone know if a tiny house on a 8ft x 24ft trailer could be set on a property without an HOA? They're relatively new and a lot of regulations haven't caught up yet. They're not traditional homes w foundations or RVs

Thanks

Re: Tiny house STX. Can you?

speee1dy
June 28, 2017 03:55PM

i know there is a shipping container in cotton valley being used a residence but not sure of the dimensions or HOA.

Alana33
June 28, 2017 05:23PM

Check with the Dept. Of Planning and Natural Resources.
Not sure I'd trust one in a hurricane.

Exit Zero
June 28, 2017 06:48PM

The design and provision for the cistern and septic systems should be interesting.

amanda4882
June 28, 2017 09:48PM

I looked into this. Here is what I know;
Since it is on a trailer, it does not fall under DPNR rules however it will fall under motor vehicles and must be registered. It can be used a "temporary" housing or a "construction" shed and you can not get a CO. You will have to use some sort of composting toilet since you cannot put in a septic system. If you want power, you have to get a construction meter.
Im on STT but I do recall hearing about some sort of mobile home trailer park on STX years ago. Perhaps someone who has been around a while will know of it.

Dont even get me started on Hurricanes though. I would absolutely not want to be in that thing if a big one came. Im thinking Wizard of Oz type of situation!

Jumbie
June 29, 2017 07:10AM

reydavila
Anyone know if a tiny house on a 8ft x 24ft trailer could be set on a property without an HOA? They're relatively new and a lot of regulations haven't caught up yet. They're not traditional homes w foundations or RVs

Thanks

All I know is I would not want to live in anything but something with cement & re-bar. However there is a small community of house trailers on Hospital Road near Sunny Isle.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/29/2017 07:26AM by Jumbie.

speee1dy
June 29, 2017 07:54AM

the trailer park has been there i think at least since the 80's? pepper tree terrace i think is the name.

Jumbie
June 29, 2017 03:04PM

Yes Pepper Tree Terrace is the name speee1dy,

reydavila
June 30, 2017 11:57PM

Thanks for the info

LiquidFluoride
July 01, 2017 09:09PM

Jumbie
reydavila

Thanks

All I know is I would not want to live in anything but something with cement & re-bar. However there is a small community of house trailers on Hospital Road near Sunny Isle.

You could sink pylons down 20-30 feet and bolt a shipping container to them, that's not going anywhere, and it's not on a trailer so you don't have to register or anything crazy.

I have a shipping container in my yard. I"m tempted to get 5 more and build a structure.

Gumbo
July 01, 2017 09:23PM

You can set 6 moblie home tie downs, throw 3 wide ratchet straps over the top and cinch them down before the storm and a shipping container will stay right there.

Join the discussion. Click the button below to Login or Register now!

Click here to login

• Blue Ocean Transport

Moving to the U.S. Virgin Islands?

Settlers Handbook
Only $17.95

The Settlers Handbook for the U.S. Virgin Islands is your guide to moving to St. Croix, St. Thomas, St. John and Water Island.

The current 18th Edition, released in January 2016, will help you explore your dream of island living. A solid reference book, it was first published in 1975. That's 40 years of helping people move to the islands. A must read. Order today.

Order Today

Advertise

Join VIMovingCenter.com Today!

Tell prospective and current residents about your business.

Learn More →

Sister Sites

VITraders

USVI Books & Souvenirs

VInow

USVI Vacation Guide

Living in de V.I.

USVI Relocation DVD

Proud Supporter

VI Olympic Team

For over 45 years, the Virgin Islands has celebrated the Olympic tradition by sending our athletes to compete.

Learn More →