Join discussions on moving to and living in the USVI, ask questions, share info & tips! (Vacationing? Visit Travel Message Board)

We made the move!

Edw94
July 18, 2017 03:02PM

Good afternoon! It's been a while since I've posted! My husband and I made the move the STJ last month. Leading up to our move I had asked a few questions on this forum, so I appreciate all the feedback I received!

We moved here sight unseen! We had never stepped foot in the USVI. We were able to line up housing before arriving (within our rather small budget) which was a huge praise!

We are both employed now as well (we did not line up jobs before hand). Just thought I'd post as an encouragement to anyone contemplating the move! It can be done. My advice would be to carefully plan & budget, be open minded, and do not set expectations for what life "should be" like here.

Although I'd never been to the Virgin Islands before moving, I used lots of resources - this forum, Facebook groups, books, etc. so I wasn't completely blindsided- although, you'll never know what it's truly like until you get here!! It's not for everyone (as I'm sure you've been told). It's very different from the states. I had been out of the country before & visited some various Caribbean islands, so I knew this going into it. Although moving here without visiting is often discouraged - I'm glad we did. It was an adventure. I have always loved the thought of moving somewhere new and making it your home. If you're in it for the adventure & experience, you will be fine wink

Life here is slower, the beaches are beautiful, and the people are great. If you're a dreamer & it's something you've always wanted to do, GO FOR IT. Life is short & it can be done.

If you want to follow my journey, my Instagram is @corntocaribbean wink I'm originally from Indiana & enjoy posting about our new life on STJ & the adventures we have!! Feel free to ask me any questions for those who are in the process or thinking of making the move ???? Thanks all!

Re: We made the move!

speee1dy
July 18, 2017 04:06PM

you might want to post links to the other sites you used to help you as they would also be helpful to others.

glad it worked for you

Alana33
July 18, 2017 04:07PM

Welcome, congratulations on making the move.
Hope you'll continue to enjoy the journey.

Light
July 18, 2017 04:38PM

Congrats on making the move! I just followed you on IG and can't wait til I get to make the move also!

singlefin
July 18, 2017 07:57PM

Made the move "sight unseen"?
I know I couldn't do that!
We started out buying land about 7 years ago when prices crashed on STX. Figuring if we ended up not liking it, we could sell down the road. We came back every chance we had for the next few years. Then decided to build a small guest house on the lower half of the property and stayed there for the next few years when we could. Every trip we met more great people and found new treasured spots all over the Island.
Things are different here, undoubtedly, but the good far outweighs the bad so far. We're here for the long haul now, no regrets, life is good.

speee1dy
July 19, 2017 08:50AM

nice photos

AandA2VI
July 21, 2017 02:07AM

Photos?? Let's see em! Just make sure you post one year in from now. Gonna do a 5 year in post this Jan. Holy crap. Haha!

Alana33
July 21, 2017 11:08AM

AandA2VI
Photos?? Let's see em! Just make sure you post one year in from now. Gonna do a 5 year in post this Jan. Holy crap. Haha!

Can't believe that it's been 5 years!
Congrats!

Edw94
July 23, 2017 12:27AM

Thanks all! Haha I think he's referring to my Instagram- not sure if I can add photos on here?

Bigfacemoe
July 24, 2017 06:08PM

Awesome to hear and congratulations!

Had a 10 day trip in February and all I think about is moving there.

Join the discussion. Click the button below to Login or Register now!

Click here to login

• Blue Ocean Transport

Moving to the U.S. Virgin Islands?

Settlers Handbook
Only $17.95

The Settlers Handbook for the U.S. Virgin Islands is your guide to moving to St. Croix, St. Thomas, St. John and Water Island.

The current 18th Edition, released in January 2016, will help you explore your dream of island living. A solid reference book, it was first published in 1975. That's 40 years of helping people move to the islands. A must read. Order today.

Order Today

Advertise

Join VIMovingCenter.com Today!

Tell prospective and current residents about your business.

Learn More →

Sister Sites

VITraders

USVI Books & Souvenirs

VInow

USVI Vacation Guide

Living in de V.I.

USVI Relocation DVD

Proud Supporter

VI Olympic Team

For over 45 years, the Virgin Islands has celebrated the Olympic tradition by sending our athletes to compete.

Learn More →