Join discussions on moving to and living in the USVI, ask questions, share info & tips! (Vacationing? Visit Travel Message Board)

Question about legal gun owner ship on STX

Kansas
August 07, 2017 07:06PM

im moving down to STX next week and i want to bring my handgun, already cleared it with my airline but what can i expect when i step off the plane and onto the island?

Re: Question about legal gun owner ship on STX

quirion
August 07, 2017 07:16PM

[en.wikipedia.org]

Also search for threads on this. There is a ton of info here.

Scubadoo
August 07, 2017 09:02PM

Doesn't sound like a good idea before you have a permit.

pilatesgal318
August 07, 2017 09:44PM

As Scubadoo said, not a good idea at all before you have a permit...which can take a long time to get here. My husband was a former Marine, and has been a licensed gun owner in the States for about 40 years and it took him about 6 months to get his license. Please do your research!

specialk
August 08, 2017 08:02AM

You can bring it via the airline. But upon arrival in the territory you are supposed to immediately report to the Firearms Division at Police HQ to declare the weapon. At which time they will confiscate it and hold it until you have been issued a license.

Firearms Div has limited hours. So there's a chance they won't be open when you go. At which point you become technically in possession of an unlicensed weapon. Yeah, not your fault. But...

The best thing to do, I think, is bring your weapon to a dealer in your state that is licensed to ship it here. Ship it to D&J Shooting Gallery. They will store it for you in their vault until you have your license. When your license is ready for you to pick up you'll need to get the weapon from D&J and bring it to Firearms so they can confirm the serial number.

On average the entire process takes about a month once you've handed in all of your forms. Most of that is waiting for the Police Commissioner to sign the paperwork.

Phone number for Firearms Division on STX is 340-712-6058. They do only certain tasks at certain times on certain days. So call first to see what day and time you can pick up forms for a new license.

D&J Shooting Gallery is 340-713-9058 and 340-719-1996.

Good luck!

speee1dy
August 08, 2017 08:03AM

call the local shooting range DJ shooting range i think is the name. you will probably have to ship it to them and have them hold it until you get your home license. very few CC permits are issued.
there are threads on this topic. when you do your search make sure you dont limit the date range

stxisbest
August 08, 2017 08:28PM

specialk
You can bring it via the airline. But upon arrival in the territory you are supposed to immediately report to the Firearms Division at Police HQ to declare the weapon. At which time they will confiscate it and hold it until you have been issued a license.

Firearms Div has limited hours. So there's a chance they won't be open when you go. At which point you become technically in possession of an unlicensed weapon. Yeah, not your fault. But...

The best thing to do, I think, is bring your weapon to a dealer in your state that is licensed to ship it here. Ship it to D&J Shooting Gallery. They will store it for you in their vault until you have your license. When your license is ready for you to pick up you'll need to get the weapon from D&J and bring it to Firearms so they can confirm the serial number.

On average the entire process takes about a month once you've handed in all of your forms. Most of that is waiting for the Police Commissioner to sign the paperwork.

Phone number for Firearms Division on STX is 340-712-6058. They do only certain tasks at certain times on certain days. So call first to see what day and time you can pick up forms for a new license.

D&J Shooting Gallery is 340-713-9058 and 340-719-1996.

Good luck!

I really would like to know more about this only takes a month drive thru here.--???

isl3985
August 09, 2017 03:48AM

The VI is NOT gun friendly. Probably as bad if not worse than the likes of NY, CA, Chicago etc etc

stxsailor
August 09, 2017 03:16PM

I guess the VI is not gun friendly is because they don't want the good guys armed. Now that's funny i don't care who you are.

Join the discussion. Click the button below to Login or Register now!

Click here to login

• Blue Ocean Transport

Moving to the U.S. Virgin Islands?

Settlers Handbook
Only $17.95

The Settlers Handbook for the U.S. Virgin Islands is your guide to moving to St. Croix, St. Thomas, St. John and Water Island.

The current 18th Edition, released in January 2016, will help you explore your dream of island living. A solid reference book, it was first published in 1975. That's 40 years of helping people move to the islands. A must read. Order today.

Order Today

Advertise

Join VIMovingCenter.com Today!

Tell prospective and current residents about your business.

Learn More →

Sister Sites

VITraders

USVI Books & Souvenirs

VInow

USVI Vacation Guide

Living in de V.I.

USVI Relocation DVD

Proud Supporter

VI Olympic Team

For over 45 years, the Virgin Islands has celebrated the Olympic tradition by sending our athletes to compete.

Learn More →