Join discussions on moving to and living in the USVI, ask questions, share info & tips! (Vacationing? Visit Travel Message Board)

Sewing business

Dbattersby
August 11, 2017 01:57PM

I'm moving in about 5 weeks, I own an apparel line that is mostly online, and we will be looking to open up a store/business on the island.

Are there any sewing machines/fabric stores online or should I plan to ship the items down?
Is there any people who sew or are seamstresses on the island?
I do a lot of custom work, and custom clothing (swim & active wear) and would be looking to employ some people as well.

Re: Sewing business

ironheadUSVI
August 11, 2017 02:29PM

Moving where?

Dbattersby
August 11, 2017 04:11PM

STT sorry about that

East Ender
August 11, 2017 05:27PM

This is one of the reasons people recommend that you work in your field before starting a new business here. You might want to contact the woman at Lagnappe. She started by doing custom window treatments, etc. I'm sure there are people who sew, but are is it up to your standards?

Dbattersby
August 11, 2017 06:08PM

I'm willing to train the right people and at least employee more people on the island. I've ran the company with my husband for 4 years stateside so we can manage it ourselves but I would love to get some help eventually. We're lucky enough where we can really bring it anywhere. I just haven't been able to find any places that sell machines down there

East Ender
August 11, 2017 06:50PM

K-Mart has sewing machines.As I said, this is something you will need to research, as it is a niche business.

Scubadoo
August 11, 2017 07:48PM

If you are looking for commercial machines you may simply need to have them shipped down via a freight forwarding company. Not that big a deal. What may be a bigger concern is service and repair. I'd guess consumer machines would not hold up for use in a business.

Dbattersby
August 11, 2017 07:52PM

My husband actually repairs and main twins them, thankfully. Small consumer ones should work for a little bit at least until we figure out a space to ship the larger ones. Thanks for your help.

Exit Zero
August 11, 2017 11:09PM

there are thousands of well built durable commercial older sewing machines available in almost any major former garment district manufacturing area across the USA. Although many were shipped overseas with the jobs they are still not hard to find especially in the NE cities.
Shipping them to the USVI is fairly simple - they are mostly Made in the USA so there will be no duty from Customs.
It would be a great boon to the economy to have some manufacturing businesses on island if you can do it here profitably - there are a few hurdles to overcome on that front I would guess.

stjohnjulie
August 12, 2017 06:15AM

If you are willing to train, maybe you could take a look at My Brother's Workshop. It's sad that so many of the home economic and industrial arts have been taken out of the schools. I have been sewing since I was a little girl. I don't have much time for it now! But I still enjoy it when I can find the time for it. I've been roped into a handful of sewing jobs over the years here just because there aren't that many people who know how to do it well and at an affordable rate.

ms411
August 12, 2017 12:16PM

There are a few seamstresses and fabric stores on St Thomas. Nayda (can't remember her last name) teaches sewing classes and has a line of beachwear. She's on facebook.

The public school children wear uniforms so there was a demand for seamstresses to make the uniforms.

singlefin
August 13, 2017 12:12AM

What about all those costumes for Carnival and all the other holiday parades. They're surely locally made.

SkysTheLimit
August 13, 2017 10:01AM

Also school uniforms.

East Ender
August 13, 2017 11:33AM

I believe she has discovered What's Going on St Thomas.

janeinstx
August 13, 2017 05:48PM

I don't know of any machine dealers here and certainly no industrial machines. Any machine available at Kmart is likely the very lowest end. Not suitable for commercial sewing.

Join the discussion. Click the button below to Login or Register now!

Click here to login

• Blue Ocean Transport

Moving to the U.S. Virgin Islands?

Settlers Handbook
Only $17.95

The Settlers Handbook for the U.S. Virgin Islands is your guide to moving to St. Croix, St. Thomas, St. John and Water Island.

The current 18th Edition, released in January 2016, will help you explore your dream of island living. A solid reference book, it was first published in 1975. That's 40 years of helping people move to the islands. A must read. Order today.

Order Today

Advertise

Join VIMovingCenter.com Today!

Tell prospective and current residents about your business.

Learn More →

Sister Sites

VITraders

USVI Books & Souvenirs

VInow

USVI Vacation Guide

Living in de V.I.

USVI Relocation DVD

Proud Supporter

VI Olympic Team

For over 45 years, the Virgin Islands has celebrated the Olympic tradition by sending our athletes to compete.

Learn More →