Join discussions on moving to and living in the USVI, ask questions, share info & tips! (Vacationing? Visit Travel Message Board)

Jobs in VI

jae3
August 22, 2017 02:23PM

I am a paramedic with 7 years experience and my wife just finished school for massage therapy. We would like to know what the EMS system in VI pays and also if there are hiring opportunities for massage therapists, possibly outside of the resort and tourist areas? We would like to move down within the next year with our 1 year old son. Also, any insight on buying/renting a home would be nice as well.

Re: Jobs in VI

East Ender
August 22, 2017 05:56PM

The EMS system pays much less than whatever you are getting paid, I'm sure. The Daily News printed the government salaries a few years ago, but my copy is at work. Will try to look it up for you. Lots of massage possibilities.

jae3
August 22, 2017 05:59PM

Thank you so much.

Scubadoo
August 22, 2017 06:26PM

Any particular island in mind?

jae3
August 22, 2017 06:31PM

We haven't decided, but my wife and I want to avoid the hustle and bustle lifestyle. So somewhere with a slower pace, but not secluded either.

pilatesgal318
August 22, 2017 11:57PM

East Ender, I beg to differ with the "lots of massage possibilities" - that is completey dependent upon which island you are on! Having been a licensed massage/bodywork therapist in the VI for the past 11 years, I can say, first hand, that STT has a great deal of opportunities (resorts, private spas, outcall services, developing a personal practice, yacht work, etc.); STJ also has some opportunities with the resorts and private spas (as I have done some work there as well). STX has very little opportunity for therapists, from my experience - with the economy being what it is on island, massage therapy is one of the first 'luxuries' to go out the window. There are quite a few 'therapists' who also do either outcall services or work within their own homes, under the radar (meaning they are unlicensed in the VI, thereby charging much less per session than those of us who are licensed, pay our taxes, etc.). Jae3, if you (your wife) has any specific questions, feel free to pm me and I will be happy to try to help. East Ender, no offense to you at all - I just want to share my experiences as I believe them to be very valid!

speee1dy
August 23, 2017 07:47AM

sounds like stx might be the right fit. we have some resorts on island that offer massages. there is a lady that used to or still does go to peoples houses to give massages. that might be something to look into. if thats how you go it might be nice to be a vendor at one of the jump ups and offer 5 minutes for $5 massages. and dont be weak on the women. last time that service was at jump up the woman who did it did a horrible job because she just did a surface cheapy without any strength.

which ever island you decide , im sure you will enjoy it

jae3
We haven't decided, but my wife and I want to avoid the hustle and bustle lifestyle. So somewhere with a slower pace, but not secluded either.

East Ender
August 23, 2017 09:20PM

pilatesgal: No problem! I have no knowledge of St Croix, but I know that there are massage therapists all over St Thomas. What we need is someone doing pilates...wink

pilatesgal318
August 23, 2017 10:54PM

EE, I was one (of the two!) Pilates teachers on island for 8 years! Believe me, if it had not been for my husband's business on STX, I NEVER would have left STT!!

East Ender
August 24, 2017 04:52PM

Come back. Tell him to move his business here. excited

East Ender
August 25, 2017 03:55PM

Okay. I found the most recent salaries from the Daily News. This was in 2013, but I don't think government salaries have gone up much, if at all, because they are broke.
Those listed as EMS basic varied from $16,000 to $39,000. EMS Intermediate was $16,000 to $48,000. EMS paramedic $44,00- $50,000. There was one EMS Cardiac at $46,000, one training officer at $51,000 and the winner at $87,000 was the coordinator. And this article is old, but shows the depth of the problem of sexual harassment here is the VI: [www.ems1.com]

Join the discussion. Click the button below to Login or Register now!

Click here to login

• Blue Ocean Transport

Moving to the U.S. Virgin Islands?

Settlers Handbook
Only $17.95

The Settlers Handbook for the U.S. Virgin Islands is your guide to moving to St. Croix, St. Thomas, St. John and Water Island.

The current 18th Edition, released in January 2016, will help you explore your dream of island living. A solid reference book, it was first published in 1975. That's 40 years of helping people move to the islands. A must read. Order today.

Order Today

Advertise

Join VIMovingCenter.com Today!

Tell prospective and current residents about your business.

Learn More →

Sister Sites

VITraders

USVI Books & Souvenirs

VInow

USVI Vacation Guide

Living in de V.I.

USVI Relocation DVD

Proud Supporter

VI Olympic Team

For over 45 years, the Virgin Islands has celebrated the Olympic tradition by sending our athletes to compete.

Learn More →