Join discussions on moving to and living in the USVI, ask questions, share info & tips! (Vacationing? Visit Travel Message Board)

Re: lpg gas generator vs diesel generator

Scubadoo
October 10, 2017 12:48PM

But what is are the KWhr loads that go with those costs?

LiquidFluoride
October 10, 2017 01:46PM

vicanuck
watruw8ing4
It costs about 5.00 per hour to run my Generac propane generator. No complaints other than that.

$5.00 an hour! OMG. My diesel costs $1.50 an hour.

My propane Gen will run for about 8 hours on a 20lb tank and at $22-26 a refill, this is the most expensive way to run it @ 6kw output.

I could get a 500lb tank and buy in bulk for cheaper, but it still won't be as efficient as diesel.

I do like that the exhaust is not noticeable at all and it runs "not too loud" as I like to keep it near the house so it doesn't wonder away on me.

Gumbo
October 10, 2017 02:13PM

Yes propane doesn't have near as much energy per gallon as diesel. To live on the power its not worth it, as a standby generator they are dependable, don't cost a fortune and work great. Right now I run mine to heat water, Wash and dry clothes.
Use a small gasoline one for everything else.

Gumbo
October 10, 2017 03:10PM

Mine is a 16kw generac with a 200amp transfer switch. 16kw-22kw use the same 999 cc twin cyl engine. They are really strong machines.
At 5.00 per hour I run the electric water heater, split unit any and everything.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/10/2017 03:12PM by Gumbo.

Scubadoo
October 10, 2017 03:30PM

The 16kW Generac will certainly use a lot of fuel at full load, $5/hr no surprise and if it's like my 15kW, will use minimum half of that at no load. So you really don't want to oversize your generator once you get over 5kW.

Another nice thing about propane, more time between oil changes, your used oil will come out looking almost like new. Plugs don't foul either compared to gasoline.

LiquidFluoride
October 10, 2017 05:02PM

Scubadoo
Another nice thing about propane, more time between oil changes, your used oil will come out looking almost like new. Plugs don't foul either compared to gasoline.

My generator must have a defective plug, I've had to pull it twice to clean it up and now it wont start... and finding a generator spark plug on island isn't super easy...

I think I'm going to buy a 5kw inverter generator that runs based on load (it will idle down if you use less) costs a bit more but I think it will be more along the lines of what I need (which is probably far less than 5k normally).

plus it runs considerably quieter.

Gumbo
October 10, 2017 05:49PM

LiquidFluoride
Scubadoo

My generator must have a defective plug, I've had to pull it twice to clean it up and now it wont start... and finding a generator spark plug on island isn't super easy...

I think I'm going to buy a 5kw inverter generator that runs based on load (it will idle down if you use less) costs a bit more but I think it will be more along the lines of what I need (which is probably far less than 5k normally).

plus it runs considerably quieter.

Usually if you have a plug issue with a propane generator it is because the gas regulator is the wrong size or defective.

Yeah those inverters are nice, my brother has a royobi 2300 for work and says it is better than the Honda 2000i he has used both and the Royobi is half price,

Gumbo
October 10, 2017 05:53PM

Scubadoo
The 16kW Generac will certainly use a lot of fuel at full load, $5/hr no surprise and if it's like my 15kW, will use minimum half of that at no load. So you really don't want to oversize your generator once you get over 5kW.

They are great machines on our normal Wapa circumstances

Scubadoo
October 10, 2017 07:21PM

Gumbo
Usually if you have a plug issue with a propane generator it is because the gas regulator is the wrong size or defective.

So maybe make sure the vacuum line from the manifold to the regulator is clear and connected.

My Generac came new with an extra set of plugs. Always good to have a spare set. I love my little sand blaster spark plug cleaner, makes plugs like new too. Some say they are not to be trusted due to risk of getting grit in engine. I just blow the plugs out like crazy, no remaining grit whatsoever. The plug gap on propane is usually a little smaller than would be with gasoline for same engine.

LiquidFluoride
October 11, 2017 09:10AM

I'll try cleaning up the plug and making sure the gap is smaller than I'm used to, but at this point I'm going to use it as a backup generator or sell it.

the inverter 5k gen (Briggs and Stratton) runs for 14 hours on a 5 gal tank supposedly... 14 hours for ~$15 and it's pretty compact so I can put it in my truck etc.. I like those numbers.

[www.briggsandstratton.com]

Join the discussion. Click the button below to Login or Register now!

Click here to login

• Blue Ocean Transport

Moving to the U.S. Virgin Islands?

Settlers Handbook
Only $17.95

The Settlers Handbook for the U.S. Virgin Islands is your guide to moving to St. Croix, St. Thomas, St. John and Water Island.

The current 18th Edition, released in January 2016, will help you explore your dream of island living. A solid reference book, it was first published in 1975. That's 40 years of helping people move to the islands. A must read. Order today.

Order Today

Advertise

Join VIMovingCenter.com Today!

Tell prospective and current residents about your business.

Learn More →

Sister Sites

VITraders

USVI Books & Souvenirs

VInow

USVI Vacation Guide

Living in de V.I.

USVI Relocation DVD

Proud Supporter

VI Olympic Team

For over 45 years, the Virgin Islands has celebrated the Olympic tradition by sending our athletes to compete.

Learn More →