Join discussions on moving to and living in the USVI, ask questions, share info & tips! (Vacationing? Visit Travel Message Board)

Re: Taxes & no refunds

stxisbest
October 31, 2017 07:20PM

Got one today for 2015 I forgot about. To the bank and beyond before it bounces. cool

speee1dy
October 31, 2017 07:43PM

I hear he has released refunds to the tune of 3 million

AandA2VI
November 07, 2017 12:35PM

After we read the article we went to check on ours. We’ve never gotten a return since we’ve moved here. 2013 we filed states since we’re here after Jan. 2014 was mailed to the old PO even though we did a change of addressto new PO so that should be hopefully reissued... she said check in a month, if we call and stay on top of it. 2015 is in que to be paid (when?) and 16 is accepted... it’s a good chunk of money too. We REALLY need that cash so I am fingers crossed we actually see it. We’re gonna keep on top of it too, to make sure it’s moving along. Ridiculous but hey, gotta what ya gotta do. Still battling with court ineptitude over car too. It’s insanity how absolutely inefficient they are. The good news is it only took about 10 min to talk with someone at the tax building and find out the details. She snickerd anytime I asked a timeframe - like 1 month, 3 months 6 months but I’m pushing some positive karma towards it.

rosesisland
November 08, 2017 06:28AM

I have never been owed a tax refund until 2016. Went to CPA's office the week of April 15th with checkbook in hand and was pissed beyond belief when I was told I had a refund of over $500 from the VI government! Seems secretary at my husband's office screwed with the amount taken out.

Left CPA's office and from there checked our mail. To my surprise, I had a bill from the VI saying I had not paid our 2012 taxes. Since I hadn't gotten my forms stamped as paid and didn't remember which bank I had written the check and since it wasn't much, I headed over and repaid my '12 taxes.

This will not happen for my '16 taxes! I will owe them as I have now straightened out his secretary.

For the life of me I don't understand why year in and year out people don't adjust so they are not lending to the government, whether in the VI or the states! Get a savings account, invest or something but do not lend your money to the government. It's not, usually, complicated to adjust how much is taken out of your earnings so they don't owe you.

Scubadoo
November 08, 2017 09:33AM

rosesisland
For the life of me I don't understand why year in and year out people don't adjust so they are not lending to the government, whether in the VI or the states! Get a savings account, invest or something but do not lend your money to the government. It's not, usually, complicated to adjust how much is taken out of your earnings so they don't owe you.

Some folks are afraid of not having the dough in the bank to pay the taxes and others like getting the "bonus check" at tax time. Of course the latter doesn't so much apply in the VI.

ironheadUSVI
November 09, 2017 08:30AM

rosesisland

Because not everybody CAN adjust if they get a large amount of income right at the end of the year. The interest on a tax refund is much more than you'll get in a savings account or CD anyway. And they rarely send out a 1099INT in time when you file the following year.

vicanuck
November 09, 2017 11:28AM

I would never lend the thieves that run the government here a penny no matter how much interest they pay.

islandjoan
November 16, 2017 12:59PM

I agree with vicanuck and for the last two years I have gotten it really close, owing the VI govt a little bit.

IN today's AVIS: $44M in tax refunds pending. Pickering said that his agency sent out a little more than $3 million in tax refunds as of October 25 for tax year 2015 as well as prior tax years. He said: "We have not begun to pay the 2016 as yet, and those we will begin to pay as soon as the funding becomes available"

stjohnjulie
November 17, 2017 09:47AM

I too received my 2015 refund recently. But I didn't have any interest on it. Have no idea why. Still waiting for 2016 refund, not holding my breath for sure.

Jumbie
November 17, 2017 10:06AM

stjohnjulie
I too received my 2015 refund recently. But I didn't have any interest on it. Have no idea why. Still waiting for 2016 refund, not holding my breath for sure.

I think the VIRB is in violation of a Federal Law by not paying you interest. Agan I think there is a law that refunds not paid within 6 months of tax yr deadline owes the filer interest on amount due.

stxsailor
November 17, 2017 02:03PM

You know laws (even federal laws) are a mere suggestion here. smiling

Join the discussion. Click the button below to Login or Register now!

Click here to login

• Blue Ocean Transport

Moving to the U.S. Virgin Islands?

Settlers Handbook
Only $17.95

The Settlers Handbook for the U.S. Virgin Islands is your guide to moving to St. Croix, St. Thomas, St. John and Water Island.

The current 18th Edition, released in January 2016, will help you explore your dream of island living. A solid reference book, it was first published in 1975. That's 40 years of helping people move to the islands. A must read. Order today.

Order Today

Advertise

Join VIMovingCenter.com Today!

Tell prospective and current residents about your business.

Learn More →

Sister Sites

VITraders

USVI Books & Souvenirs

VInow

USVI Vacation Guide

Living in de V.I.

USVI Relocation DVD

Proud Supporter

VI Olympic Team

For over 45 years, the Virgin Islands has celebrated the Olympic tradition by sending our athletes to compete.

Learn More →