Join discussions on moving to and living in the USVI, ask questions, share info & tips! (Vacationing? Visit Travel Message Board)

What is the "REAL" Situation on STT & STJ

vicanuck
September 12, 2017 03:12PM

We all know how pitiful "reporting" is for our local newspapers.

I'm hearing a lot of anecdotal reports of looting, violence, piracy and desperation coming out of STT and STJ. The situation on St. Maarten is said to be particularly bad in reports I've read online from credible news outlets in Barbados.

A friend with a large catamaran who was planning a relief voyage to STT aborted the mission after being warned by other boaters to stay away.

Whats the REAL situation on the ground as seen by those board members who are trying to survive the devastation on STT and STJ.

Re: What is the "REAL" Situation on STT & STJ

Scubadoo
September 12, 2017 08:07PM

Well Anderson Cooper just started his show by saying there's been a lot of complaints about lack of news coverage on the islands and they are going to try to provide more coverage. So let's see.

sttanon
September 13, 2017 07:24AM

Talked to 2 STJ survivors last night. They said that there was looting etc but not like what Facebook has been reporting. That's what really sucks right now, even in normal conditions things get way exagurated and now with no real reliable communications, and people on edge.....

Scubadoo
September 13, 2017 08:00AM

CNN reporting some restaurants on STJ made it through and are serving takeout meals, one every other day, alternating between restaurants. Said they were using up supplies on hand and had about a week's worth, so time to get more supplies in.

SunnyCaribe
September 13, 2017 08:03AM

What I have seen is people are at their best.

What I have heard is people are at their worst.

What I have learned is that people under stress project their fears and relive their trauma.

The reason I live here and stay here through storm after storm is that I have seen the very best of people after every single time. I urge people to have some pity on people in that state, but to discreetly discredit the hysteria and keep your eyes open to the goodness in people that are all around us.

I was on STT/STJ on Sunday. People aren't perfect, but they are overwhelmingly awesome.

speee1dy
September 13, 2017 08:14AM

i was in the restroom and overheard two women talking about what was going on. raping, looting, shooting.....all i could do was shake my head.

it seemed so over exaggerated it wasnt even funny

singlefin
September 13, 2017 11:59AM

CNN... reliable reporting... really?

SunnyCarib,
I wholeheartedly agree with your assessment.

Scubadoo
September 13, 2017 01:07PM

singlefin

Well let's see, it was a live on location interview with a restaurant owner at his restaurant on STJ with meals being prepared and handed out to folks lined up in the back ground. Now I suppose that could all be staged BS with the restaurant owner lying through his teeth, none of it true. Really?

sttanon
September 13, 2017 01:59PM

Scubadoo
singlefin

Well let's see, it was a live on location interview with a restaurant owner at his restaurant on STJ with meals being prepared and handed out to folks lined up in the back ground. Now I suppose that could all be staged BS with the restaurant owner lying through his teeth, none of it true. Really?

In talking to fellow refugees from STJ on boardwalk last night story is dead on accurate about the resturant efforts

STTsailor
September 13, 2017 02:24PM

Don't know about STJ but STT is not a problem during daytime. Have not seen any aggression or violence. South side businesses have plenty of security brought for PR. Security has teargas launchers. The are pleasant to deal with and well organized.
What is happening at night is probably the usual. I have seen military and police patrols on Crown Mountain road but no more. I felt better when they were visible in my area. Seems like patrols were pulled back and the gov and police are back to reactive mode as opposed to proactive. Plenty of squads with lights and guns blazing. So macho. Crimes takes seconds while cops are 30 minutes away. As always; gov is not the answer, will and power of private citizens and business owners is. Gas stations took initiative so did Pueblo. So if it takes our street to hold guard with machetes so be it. Crown Bay marina seems like a safe landing for the boat at least during daytime.

SP1206
September 13, 2017 02:25PM

I live Northside STT and the roads are getting better. Still pretty crazy. Had to go to Red Hook yesterday to help a friend and that trip was beyond explaining. The 6 hr. curfew makes it tough to get things done when it takes most the time getting food or gas. Haven't had to find gas yet. That will be tomorrow's chore. Heaven help me! I've seen the best of people but haven't experienced the worst. I'm prepared for it haven't had to deal with it first hand. A lot of places giving food away and feeding people. I've met all my neighbors now. It's amazing how many people you can meet if you have a chainsaw!

islandjoan
September 13, 2017 02:41PM

thumbs upthumbs upthumbs up

SP1206
I've seen the best of people but haven't experienced the worst. I'm prepared for it haven't had to deal with it first hand. A lot of places giving food away and feeding people. I've met all my neighbors now. It's amazing how many people you can meet if you have a chainsaw!

Scubadoo
September 13, 2017 04:19PM

Did you see the video and interview of the nun in Florida cutting up trees on their property dressed in full habit?

icechipmom
September 13, 2017 06:56PM

There was more coverage with CNN and Fox this evening, Hopefully they don;t forget STX SJ and STT

speee1dy
September 14, 2017 08:05AM

scubadoo, saw that this morning. she looked like she was having fun

sttanon
September 14, 2017 11:32AM

speee1dy
scubadoo, saw that this morning. she looked like she was having fun

She reminded me of Leatherface smiling

speee1dy
September 14, 2017 11:58AM

lmao, thank you sttanon

Scubadoo
September 14, 2017 11:13PM

A local news anchor for the NBC station in Raleigh NC is from STT and is on island bringing disaster coverage to central NC. Western NC has a lot of big trees down from the last gasps of Irma.

speee1dy
September 15, 2017 08:21AM

and now there was a murder on stt and stx

vicanuck
September 15, 2017 09:57AM

speee1dy
and now there was a murder on stt and stx

There's a surprise.

speee1dy
September 15, 2017 12:24PM

right, and stt people get mad when you mention the bad stuff

AandA2VI
September 15, 2017 12:54PM

singlefin

SunnyCarib,
I wholeheartedly agree with your assessment.

Why didn't you correct them?? Ive been shutting that S right down.

Sorry that quoted the wrong post. My bad.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/15/2017 01:00PM by AandA2VI.

islandjoan
September 15, 2017 01:31PM

Yeah if these IDIOTS don't still killing people, that will KILL what little tourism business will be now coming to STX. Cheese on bread!

Scubadoo
September 15, 2017 03:41PM

We already have to deal with enough crime questions from the occasional experience on the travel forum.

Scubadoo
September 15, 2017 11:21PM

Join the discussion. Click the button below to Login or Register now!

Click here to login

• Blue Ocean Transport

Moving to the U.S. Virgin Islands?

Settlers Handbook
Only $17.95

The Settlers Handbook for the U.S. Virgin Islands is your guide to moving to St. Croix, St. Thomas, St. John and Water Island.

The current 18th Edition, released in January 2016, will help you explore your dream of island living. A solid reference book, it was first published in 1975. That's 40 years of helping people move to the islands. A must read. Order today.

Order Today

Advertise

Join VIMovingCenter.com Today!

Tell prospective and current residents about your business.

Learn More →

Sister Sites

VITraders

USVI Books & Souvenirs

VInow

USVI Vacation Guide

Living in de V.I.

USVI Relocation DVD

Proud Supporter

VI Olympic Team

For over 45 years, the Virgin Islands has celebrated the Olympic tradition by sending our athletes to compete.

Learn More →